Again with the exercise

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Blithe Morning

Again with the exercise

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:44 pm

A while back - maybe August - we had quite a discussion about the Time magazine article about how exercise doesn't help you lose weight. Here is a little more about that from a recent Well column in the NY Times.

If you read through the entire article, I think it says pretty much what we already know here.
Health
Well: Phys Ed: Why Doesn’t Exercise Lead to Weight Loss?
By By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS
Published: November 4, 2009
Few people, an overwhelming body of research shows, achieve significant weight loss through exercise alone, without changing their eating habits.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/0 ... ight-loss/

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:48 am

Thanks so much for posting this article. Now I don't feel so guilty. I realize the importance of excersize, but am simply too heavy for my joints. I start to hurt after more than 15 mins. on my feet. So, I have to start with a little at a time, and concentrate on No S diet.

Again, thanks so much for sharing. It really gives me hope that I can shed the first 10 kilos without being athletic.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Regular moderate exercise does have other benefits besides weight loss. It boosts the immune system, works the heart and lungs, helps regulate blood sugar, keeps the muscles flexible, strengthens the bones, and can be relaxing.

Moderate exercise is not the same thing as being an athlete. Start slowly, don't punish yourself. Do some activity you enjoy. Light weights can be used sitting down. Yoga improves flexibility and confers other physical benefits. Tai chi improves balance. Swimming builds muscle strength without taxing the joints. A short walk on a nice day will get you some fresh air and sunshine. Mix it up and have fun.

There is more to good health than just weight loss, although we so often seem to focus on that.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Howdy,
Exercise is important for many things but I do not factor it in when determining my calorie burn. An interesting thing happens to me though, as I lose weight, I want to exercise more.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:41 pm

mrsj, you are right that you should do some exercise, even if it's just a little at a time. Every little bit helps, and will get you to your goal faster, and make you feel better.

While exercise alone may not do much for weight loss, it definitely helps!
mrsj wrote:Thanks so much for posting this article. Now I don't feel so guilty. I realize the importance of excersize, but am simply too heavy for my joints. I start to hurt after more than 15 mins. on my feet. So, I have to start with a little at a time, and concentrate on No S diet.

Again, thanks so much for sharing. It really gives me hope that I can shed the first 10 kilos without being athletic.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Kevin you always have awesome advice ! :-) You're doing really well on your weight loss journey too, so you practice what you preach huh ? Good work, man. :-)

Exercise is not essential but it helps *A LOT*. You can create a calorie deficit just sitting around and eating like a sparrow but it's much easier to do it by working out as hard as you can, at least 20 minutes 5-6 times per week ... if not more of course. You make sure to be careful and not to cheat too much in the kitchen and then the pounds are coming off slowly but surely, simple recipe.

The main thing is to do something, even walking is good exercise if you are not in really good shape when you begin, you start with that and then you work HARDER when the exercise becomes too easy for you.

Exercising makes you feel good too, there's this hormone that gets in your blood stream when you exercise (I forget the name now), that's why you feel good, especially right after a work out, you don't want to binge eat too after having exercised hard so it prevents you from getting in trouble.

Plus when you work out, you get more muscular and this helps you to burn more calories later on ... even sitting around doing something close to nothing, you'll burn more calories than before if you have more muscles.

How can you go wrong if you follow your diet and you train every day. I've been doing really well the past few days, spot on with the diet, exercising *HARD* every day too ... not even feelin' tired or anything, whoa ! ...
I'm close to my lowest weight in a month now and my monthly moving average is going down slowly but surely.

Quick tip !!

I've noticed I am better with the diet when I don't have a lot of tempting items in the house ... so I'm not buying as many bags of bagels and cookies as I was doing before (Even today I was at the grocery store and I saw those DATE/FIG cookies that I like WAY TOO MUCH, I didn't buy any even if they were on special and it was a good deal, I thought if I buy 3-4 bags of those cookies I'll be tempted way too much if I know they are in the cupboard - - so I let 'em be. ;-)

I only buy one bag of bagels at a time and I freeze 'em, only taking out one at a time if I really want one ... as for the cookies, I try to buy the really plain ones now so they are less tempting then some others. No special DATE/FIG/CHOCOLATE CHIP cookies.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Nov. 1st 2008 : 280 pounds
Nov. 1st 2009 : 190 pounds (-90 pounds)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:54 am

Like others have said, I don't exercise just to help me lose weight. I do it because I feel SO much better when I exercise, and it has so many health benefits. I look more toned when I exercise, and my clothes fit me better. :D