This is the Question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ZippaDee

This is the Question

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:48 am

I've had the No S diet book for a while now....not sure exactly how long...maybe over a year? I've visited this website on and off during that time as well. I'm ready to start. The Question: Should I jump in with both feet now?..or wait until the first of the year? I do not want to set myself up for failure by starting during the holiday season. What is YOUR opinion? What would YOU do in my position? Thanks!

edit to say that I just looked at the date when I joined this forum. It's been a year and a half that I have been "thinking" about this. :oops:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:08 am

Jump in now. With S days, you can still participate in the festivities.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Begin now. The program allows for 'special days.'
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Begin now, and enjoy the holidays guilt-free!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Start now. It'll make Thanksgiving taste better. :)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:26 am

Hi! Please start Now. You'll be able to enjoy the holidays a lot more- no guilt, no thinking should I, shouldn't I? Start right now and you'll be able to really enjoy your Thanksgiving with all the fixin's! Just remember on Friday No S. Then, Saturday and Sunday are S days!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:53 pm

I started and lost 20 last fall, then quit for the holidays and gained it all back. Take it form me... you want to start now!!!! :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:37 pm

Start now. And keep restarting until you get it down.

New years resolutions almost always fizzle out within a month or two. And then you think you have to wait till next new years to give it another try.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:11 pm

My New Years resolutions usually last about one day :wink:
Go for it and keep at it as Reinhard says...
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:27 pm

I say the same - start now.

Advantages:
- You won't pack on more weight in a "pre-diet-feeding-frenzy" intensified by the holidays. (Even if you hold steady on No-S, that's a plus)
- You won't tie your effort to an arbitrary date, so when (not if!) you slip, you will be able to just start again...whatever day it is.
- You will enjoy your holidays meals (which are S-days) MORE. Food tastes so much better without a side-order of guilt!
- You'll take advantage of the initial rush of motivation to get you through one of the most difficult times of the year. If you start strong and build your habits now, the rest of the year will be easy-peasy!

Best of luck!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes, as all of the above.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:22 am

Wow! I guess the opinions are pretty unanimous huh?! My son has a birthday tomorrow and then Thanksgiving on Thursday. I will get started soon though. THANKS!!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:59 am

ZippaDee wrote:Wow! I guess the opinions are pretty unanimous huh?! My son has a birthday tomorrow and then Thanksgiving on Thursday. I will get started soon though. THANKS!!
You can start today -- both of those are S days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

aoc

Re: This is the Question

Post by aoc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:16 am

ZippaDee wrote:I've had the No S diet book for a while now....not sure exactly how long...maybe over a year? I've visited this website on and off during that time as well. I'm ready to start. The Question: Should I jump in with both feet now?..or wait until the first of the year? I do not want to set myself up for failure by starting during the holiday season. What is YOUR opinion? What would YOU do in my position? Thanks!

edit to say that I just looked at the date when I joined this forum. It's been a year and a half that I have been "thinking" about this. :oops:
I could have written this post. I have also had the book for more than a year. I have visited this website during that time and have been "thinking about this" since I read the book. Just today I was wondering to myself if it would be crazy to start No S at the same time the holidays are in full swing. But, I can do a lot of damamge between today and January 1. I guess instead of asking myself if I should start today, I should ask, "Why not start today?"

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:03 am

I'd say start now, because you're gonna have to deal with Thanksgiving and Christmas next year, too. Use this as practice for the holidays coming up. You don't have to be perfect. This diet is based on moderation, not deprivation... so you can still enjoy your day on the holiday. I am thinking I will do 1 plate, 1 dessert on xmas. But even still, it's not so hard to skip the treats around the holidays if you know you still get them on the holiday and weekends.

Good luck!
"The question is: Can we turn him back again?
The question is: Do we want to?"

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:09 pm

If you don't begin now, you will have to deal with the holiday season anyway, but you will do it with fear (can I eat this? I really want to. I shouldn't...) and guilt (why did I eat that? I shouldn't have eaten it? Why can't I resist?) and resentment (but everyone else gets to enjoy themselves, why can't I?).

Since the holidays are coming, wouldn't it be more fun to relax (N days are N days and S days are just around the corner), be in control, no guilt, no resentment, no New Year's regrets, just enjoyment?

Start now. Even if you have some failure days, you will still have more good days then you would have had if you hadn't started at all.

Happy Holidays!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:33 pm

I agree with the group..start now.

And if you fall down, pick yourself up.

I've fallen about 2,398 times. But I've gotten up 2,399 times.

That's all that matters.

:) Lori
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.