What about exhaustion?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

used2bskinny

What about exhaustion?

Post by used2bskinny » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:30 pm

Back on No S after Thanksgiving, the extra couple of pounds have disappeared, but today I was so exhausted after dealing with a bunch of energetic 4th graders all afternoon. I ended up at Starbucks on my way home where I sadly indulged my sweet tooth! Oh well, back to the drawing board!
What do other people do about sheer exhaustion? :?:

wosnes

Re: What about exhaustion?

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:17 am

used2bskinny wrote:
What do other people do about sheer exhaustion? :?:

I do have a warm drink -- and then I sleep.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

used2bskinny

Post by used2bskinny » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:24 am

Ahhhh! That sounds good! Thank you! :oops:

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:52 am

I usually have some green tea and sit down and just relax for 15 minutes. It really recharges!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:16 am

I have trouble with exhaustion too. I have a 3 year old, so if I am tired I don't always have the option of sleep. Usually when I'm exhausted I have to work really hard to stay away from the sugary stuff.

A lot of my exhaustion is due to over-stimulation (noise, excitement, demands of my attention, etc.). Since starting No-S, I have come to realize that my first response to being overwhelmed, tired, stressed is to eat food, when what I really need to do is get away from the noise and rest my brain (not always easy with a 3 year old). I didn't always turn to food for this, but I think changing circumstances made eating food the easier option than my old ways of coping (I used to be skinny too :) ). Unfortunately, now it is a well established habit for me to crave food. It's getting better though.

Most of my after work habits were more like trained responses (like Pavlov's dogs haha). Finish work - get a pastry (and a Coke- my worst vice). I do not work at the same job anymore, but I still crave pastries every time I pass a certain establishment (usually after long and/or stressful shopping). It's hard to explain, but the combination of the route + the sight of the building + that cloudy headed feeling I get after work or long shopping with a crazy toddler = doughnut. Luckily, they don't sell the kind I like anymore or I know I would have stopped a lot more often.

Anyway, these are my experiences with exhaustion and food. I am trying to be more aware of any underlying cause of my exhaustion and it has really helped. I am also trying to be more aware of my habits with food and drink to try to understand why I go overboard with certain things (like coffee). The realization of the over-stimulation factor has been the biggest help for me.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:25 pm

There's a wonderful quote that someone on the board uses (you can probably find it in the "sticky" thread):

"If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer."

I think that applies to exhaustion. If you're genuinely weak from lack of food, eat better meals and have a glass of milk between. If you're just stressed out and tired, you need to find ways to rest, relax, and recharge.

Solution ideas, both small and large:
Hot tea (particularly the herbal "calming" ones), gentle music, avoidance of electronic devices, deep breathing, a bit of yoga/meditation, light exercise (like a walk), time to talk to a friend, an earlier bedtime, and/or major/minor changes in your routines to lower general stress.

Good luck!

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:50 pm

I do one of these things: drink a glass of water, go outside (even just standing outside for a few mins but usually I go for a short walk), yoga/pilates style stretching.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:05 pm

I light incense and breathe in the smell when I am feeling bad. Breathing in a good smell really calms me down. You can also do this with a candle. And even though it's odd, I sometimes crochet to calm myself down. As a person who worries myself sick, crocheting time is my sacred time... as the motions calm me down.
"The question is: Can we turn him back again?
The question is: Do we want to?"

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:32 pm

I walk.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:30 pm

hilly6000 wrote:I light incense and breathe in the smell when I am feeling bad. Breathing in a good smell really calms me down. You can also do this with a candle. And even though it's odd, I sometimes crochet to calm myself down. As a person who worries myself sick, crocheting time is my sacred time... as the motions calm me down.
I like this!
And just had to chime in on your crocheting idea.
I've heard that there's a strong connection with doing things with your hands, to help curb overeating. Maybe it's just because it's harder to snack on cheeto's while knitting and purling, or when trying to play guitar..
All good ideas here!
Good luck with your exhaustion. Remember, those sugary treats aren't really giving you real energy.. just a fake kind that will wear off and continue a vicious cycle of wanting more.. Maybe carry a banana or apple and nuts, or a small yogurt around when you know you'll have a crazy day, and consider it a virtually plated part of your meal.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 pm

hilly6000 wrote:I light incense and breathe in the smell when I am feeling bad. Breathing in a good smell really calms me down.
That's a good idea. You can get roll on perfumes which might help, eg:

http://www.nealsyardremedies.com/remedies-roll

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:36 am

Oooh they look nice!! I may have to treat myself to a gift this year!! :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness