Dealing with a cramped lunch schedule

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JoshT

Dealing with a cramped lunch schedule

Post by JoshT » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 am

I'm facing a bit of a hunger dilemma, and was wondering how you all would handle it.

On Thursdays, I have work from 7:45 to 11:00, then class from 11:00 until 1:45 (with a small break from 12:15 to 12:30). After that I have to leave the university and pick up my kid from school at 2:30. The end result is that "lunch time" on Thursdays tends to show up at 3:00 or so.

As I have to be at work at 7:45, breakfast is at 6:20 or 6:30. Combine that with lunch time showing up at 3:00 or later, and man, am I hungry.

I've considered breaking the "no snack" rule for this single instance, eating something small in my short break from 12:15 to 12:30, but I wasn't really crazy about the idea. I'm worried that if I do that, I'll have opened the door to "well, I'm a little hungry, just this one little bite won't really hurt anything."

Any ideas / suggestions?

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:56 am

Hmmm. It sounds to me like you should maybe designate Thursday as a four meal day ... sort of like hobbits, but without the excess.

You could have breakfast at your regular time. First lunch (or second breakfast) at your 12:15 break. Then lunch at 3:00, and dinner at your regular time. Your two lunches should be small, sized so that both of them together would fit on a regular sized plate.

By making it a regularly scheduled thing, you elimate the feeling that you can do this on other days. By saying every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday I do thus and so, and every Thursday I do this, you're creating a schedule and sticking to it.

That's what I would do, hopefully someone with a little more experience can offer some thoughts as well.

Good luck!

Laura L.

jaob

Post by jaob » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:07 pm

I agree that maybe you should eat something during that 12:15 break time. Figure out what your "plate" of lunch would be then just eat some of it during the break and the rest at 3:00. I do this daily because of my schedule so it is normal for me. It can be your normal Thursday schedule with the rest of the week being regular 3 meals.
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Given your schedule, I'd want the bulk of the meal at noon, not 3:00. If you pack a lunch, you could probably eat most of it in your break. (Maybe not... I know I eat fast, and it's not really a good habit.)

Can you eat IN your class? Some instructors don't mind, others do. Worth asking.

I think the idea of "plating" what would be a reasonable lunch and dividing it in some way between the two times you have to eat is sensible.

Good luck!

Betho

Post by Betho » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:58 am

that's basically my M-F schedule - my lunchbreak isn't until 3pm but I get a 15 minute break somewhere around 12:30 or 1 usually. I just eat 4 meals and so I plan on a small "tide-me-over" meal at my first break, usually a piece of fruit and a yogurt or hummus & veggies or something. Technically a snack but I call it a "meal" and it keeps me going because there is no way I could go for almost 8 hours without eating anything!