New!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Izbiz

New!

Post by Izbiz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Been lurking for a while, trying to do this more or less successfully for a coupla weeks, feel I need the discipline and accountability of actually posting on here...
Have found it extraordinary that eating less frequently and getting really hungry has actually moderated my appetite, ie I get full quicker, and I'm starting to find sweet stuff too much...I'm also finding that I get a bit cross if I have a snack and then "ruin" my appetite for my meal - I have found eg on S days that this happens all too easily...
Interesting stuff
I am very intrigued to see how this pans out!

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:36 pm

A bit more background: what drew me to this way of eating was remembering how my Gran ate: breakfast (porridge/toast), lunch (meat, potatoes, veg, pud) and supper (eggs or something on toast, or leftovers). Occasionally (for a treat) she would have ONE biscuit with her afternoon cup of tea. She was slim until she died. So are my aunts. Every one used to be slim, look at video footage from the 40s and 50s. My Gran didn't have a mid-morning cereal bar or a banana and a handful of nuts, if we were staying with her and we were hungry we damn well waited until lunchtime then ate our cabbage...So I reckon its time we all got back to basics, it seems to make a lot of sense.

Also been reading several books by a certain author who likes "juicing". Chocolate book was interesting, but I find kicking chocolate easy to contemplate as I don't really like it. Kicked Cadburys creme eggs years ago, despite a teenage addiction to them...the book I'm reading now advocates NO sugar, little dairy (only if you have to), NO red meat, NO alcohol etc etc. The problem is, I can see where he's coming from in saying we should eat proper food ie. not processed muck, but I like the odd glass of wine and the odd flapjack - and I enjoy cooking, I enjoy flavour. So I'm trying to find the middle way...I think no S may well be it. We'll see...

Any one else from good ol' Blighty out there?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:14 am

Welcome! :D
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:08 am

Welcome! I read the Skinny Bitch book and have been a vegetarian since. I also have significantly cut down my dairy and coffee intake as the book discusses. But, the No S book is where it's all at... : ) :P
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Welcome! In terms of what you eat, I think it's most important to eat real food -- exactly what is up to you. I don't think any one way of eating is healthier than another, as long as it's mostly real food. There was a time when I thought I'd never say this, but I avoid any way of eating that eliminates entire groups of food. Everything in moderation (including moderation!).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Welcome, I have been here since last April. Was very successful, acheived my goal weight (and below) so sorta drifted away.

Big mistake, back where I started (luckily no worse)

I realized that I need the accountability of being truthful to someone (if only myself in my daily check in or in the challenge threads).

My problem has always been maintaining, I lose weight easily - too easily. Get a bit too thin, start looking a bit haggard in the face (at 61, it shows up there way before the hips :D :D ) then start eating again.

I'm back on track, it feels much better to have some control. Just need to find out how to maintain a little better.

That is this year's goal.

Enjoy the boards, they have been so helpful to me - and so much fun,

Berry

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:49 pm

Thank you for the welcome!

I am unsure whether to get the book or not - the system seems to simple, and I'm wary of getting yet another book about food....I am a compulsive recipe collector anyway, and always have too much reading material lying around to be able to deal with it all in the hours God has given me in a day...

But, I am stuck on two issues: fruit and Fridays. Our everyday "pud" or "sweet" is some sort of fruit and yoghurt, but obviously that wouldn't go on a plate with something savoury and meatyvegetably. I guess that's then out, maybe just have a piece of fruit after a meal instead of turning it into another "dish". I've been very good about getting my 5+ fruit and veg a day, sometimes hitting 9-a-day, so I am a little bit concerned about losing this. What do other people do?

The Friday thing, is what to do about Friday night. Friday is a no S day but Friday and Saturday evenings are our let-our-hair-down evenings, as Sunday whilst technically an S day is also a "school night" ie. no alcohol, late nights, big puds etc...But Friday evening to Sunday afternoon is not working for me...

Does the book answer questions like this?!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes.

I've read the book over and over...
even though it doesn't have any recipes.
...which makes it far smaller and easier to read.
I love, and agree with, the way Reinhard thinks.
The hard copy is inexpensive and small.
You can also get it as an e-book on Kindle.
I think it is important to get a copy.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

rose

Post by rose » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:33 pm

Izbiz:

regarding fruit, or yoghurt with fruit: you don't really have to put it on the plate with the main dish. For instance you could put it in a cup and put that cup on the plate, if you are literal-minded. Or, arrange the main dish on your plate so that some space is left, and have the fruit or yoghurt next to the plate. Whatever works for you.
Personally I understand the "one plate/no seconds" rule mainly as: get everything you will eat in front of you. Visually assess the portions in and around your plate in order to get enough food to last you until the next meal without feeling stuffed (you get better at it through experience). Then you can start eating it.

Regarding routine S-days (weekends): you can select to have Friday and Saturday as S days instead of Saturday and Sunday...
Or perhaps you could "let your hair down" on Friday evening without breaking NoS? Have exotic food or junk food or whatever, just keep it within NoS bounds?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:39 pm

For the first year or so I did this, I didn't realize that there was a one plate rule. I just ate one serving of whatever was being served. Once I realized the rule existed, I didn't see a reason to change. So, if the "pud" is important to you, I'd say go ahead and include it.

While I do something completely different with S days now, I used to start Friday evening after dinner and end Sunday evening at dinner. I found that maybe once a year I had something going on Sunday evening.

I must also say that I'm not good at following someone else's rules, so I did what made sense to me and worked for me.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Thank you all, very helpful. I think I will get the book.

My main problem with yoghurt pud is that dinner+fruit&yoghurt is too filling...and I sort of know that....so I think the idea of assessing it as a "whole" lot of food feels right. It may be fruit, it may be yoghurt, but if you then add sugar or honey and oh maybe a sprinkling of muesli it becomes too much...

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Izbiz wrote:Thank you all, very helpful. I think I will get the book.

My main problem with yoghurt pud is that dinner+fruit&yoghurt is too filling...and I sort of know that....so I think the idea of assessing it as a "whole" lot of food feels right. It may be fruit, it may be yoghurt, but if you then add sugar or honey and oh maybe a sprinkling of muesli it becomes too much...
I strongly recommend the book. It has all the wisdom from this website condensed into one place, with a wicked sense of humor added in. :) It's a trully fun read.

I try to stick my fruit servings to breakfast and lunch, and leave my veggie servings for dinner. It just seems to go together better that way. Although lately I've really been craving citrus, so I've added a grapefruit mix with my dinner. When I do that, I do "virtual plating" ... I leave a mental space on my plate where the fruit would have gone, because putting it on my plate is just nasty. Then I eat my fruit first, and then my dinner, because it makes me feel full more quickly.

I also truly love V8 juice ... it's a full veggie serving in a nice drink which I have whenever I'm feeling the overwhelming munchies. It's not a snack, but it takes the place of one, and it's good for me.

Good luck!

Laura L.