Anyone else still just maintaining after half a year?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Altica

Anyone else still just maintaining after half a year?

Post by Altica » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 pm

The subject says it all, really. I've followed the rules since day 1, and yet I'm not losing weight (or, I've lost like two pounds or so). I haven't gained any weight either, which certainly is good, but not really what I'm aiming for.

I guess there are some obvious culprits (too many non-weekend S-days, such as sick days; indulging too much on S-days; drinking too much caloric stuff, such as milk and orange juice; and, of course, quite possibly some overdimensioned meals, although I don't think that's the main reason).

Now, I keep seeing people say things are slow in the beginning … but this doesn't seem like just "the beginning" anymore. So what I'm interested to know is whether anyone else has plateaued for this long (about half a year) and subsequently managed to lose weight without too much tweaking? Or do I have to tweak, thereby reducing my chances of sticking to it? I guess one option would be to tweak (or do something like calorie counting, which has worked for me in the past, but which is a real chore) for a while, and then go back to the vanilla no-S to maintain…

Any thoughts?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:26 pm

I'm not sure calorie counting is necessary, but I think you've got to look at what you're eating. I find that just concentrating on eating more of the less calorie dense foods (vegetables and fruits) and less of the more calorie dense foods (everything else!) does the trick for me. It's not those occasional splurges that get us, it's the little bit more than we need daily that adds up -- or at least prevents weight loss.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Howdy,
If, inclined, you may read my checkin which chronicles my decision to count calories. For many reasons, this has turned out to be exactly what I need to do.

Best wishes on what you decide to do.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:11 am

Are you exercising? If not, adding in exercise would probably help.

sbimka

Post by sbimka » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:04 am

You seem to already know why you are not losing. You've listed many of the possible reasons. I would start tweaking there. Keep it simple. Start with the caloric drinks. Cut your juice with water or make it a spritzer. Cut out the milk. Find some herbal teas that you enjoy drinking without the sugar. Experiment. Instant vegetable broth that is low in sodium and no fat is very helpful as a drink. It keeps you hydrated. The system as described in the book does mention that if you have more than 2 or 3 red days in addition to regular S days, this will affect your weight loss in that you may remain the same as you are doing or even gain a bit which has not happened to you. Look to your plate size. You will want to reduce it but do it very slowly over time so that you don't go hungry. Exercise is definitely a big help. I walk everyday. Increase your vegetable, fruits and decrease the other stuff in proportion that your plate is full but the ratio of what you have there has changed.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Yes, sbimka, it sounds like you already have a good idea why you're not losing, but maintaining for 6 months is a great learning experience too. After all, we've all lost weight at some point, but could we maintain the loss...most of us, sadly, no. Two things have been said about NoS on these boards, and if I could remember who said them, I'd give credit:

1. NoS works, but it isn't magic. (You still have to create a deficit between calories consumed and calories expended through exercise)
2. You learn to maintain your weight first with NoS, then learn to lose. (Sounds like that's where you are.)

I think, and it's just my opinion, that people with smaller amounts of weight to lose experience exactly what you are seeing.

Instead of drinking milk or juice between meals to curb hunger between meals maybe try H2Orange? Lots of NoEssers use this tactic. Here's a link for it:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... t=h2orange

Keep us posted on your findings as you being to tweak and let us know how you're faring!

Mimi :D

P.S. Ah ha! It was our very own Bright Angel who said #1 above! I knew I'd seen it recently!

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6028
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Re: Anyone else still just maintaining after half a year?

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Altica wrote: Or do I have to tweak, thereby reducing my chances of sticking to it? I guess one option would be to tweak (or do something like calorie counting, which has worked for me in the past, but which is a real chore) for a while, and then go back to the vanilla no-S to maintain…

Any thoughts?
There's a lot of room for tweaking before you get into having to count calories. I'd look for "sustainable tweaking options" to start.

One thing I do is "plate divisions" - when I look at my plate, half should be fruit/veg, 1/4 carbs (preferably complex) and 1/4 protein. Obviously, that's a rough rule of thumb, and I play it by ear when I have combination dishes. But that keeps me eating relatively healthy food, and keeps me from eating too much of the more caloric items... without having to count calories.

Looking for less caloric beverages that you enjoy is a good option. Or doing "glass ceiling" (limited number of the caloric ones you're drinking).

It is harder when you're closer to your ideal weight; No-S is very moderate, so it's easy to maintain and not lose if you "go over" only a little. Watch the overall number of S-days, modify your choices a bit, and you should see more success.

Good luck!

wosnes

Re: Anyone else still just maintaining after half a year?

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 pm

KCCC wrote:I play it by ear when I have combination dishes.
For combination dishes, I allow about a cup or one-third of the plate with the rest (usually) being vegetables.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Maintenance is the hard part, so though it would be nice to have lost some, you've made important progress.

You're right that "tweaking" in general is risky -- and that calorie counting in particular can push a lot people over the edge (though some here combine it quite happily with No-s).

The first thing I'd look at is compliance. Are you at close to 100% doing vanilla no-s? If not, more vanilla may be all you need.

The next thing I'd look at (I'd look at this in any case) is moderate regular exercise (or even better, moderate regular useful exertion). It's important no matter what you weigh and by making efforts from two directions, both input and output, you can keep each effort moderate and sustainable and possibly even pleasant. "Urban ranger" is great, if you can fit it in. And an N-daily 14 minutes of ANYTHING can be fit in pretty much any lifestyle.

If you want to make dietary tweaks, I'd start with identifying some intelligent dietary defaults. This keeps the "rule burden" minimal (a default isn't a requirement) and can have a big impact.

Reinhard

Altica

Post by Altica » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks for lots of useful input/feedback, all of you.

Yeah, maintenance is important – certainly. I just wish I started right after losing 57 lbs a few years ago ;-)

I guess the main message I get from this (between the lines) is "there's no reason to quit". And just a mild awareness of what I'm actually eating could, perhaps make a difference…

As for your questions, Reinhard: Yes, I believe I've been at 100% compliance all the way (except one time when I ate something without thinking about it :-) And I've been doing Shovelglove from my second week (i.e., also about half a year). 14 minutes every morning. Feels good, but doesn't seem to make much of a difference here. Maybe I could find something more intense – but I have my doubts about whether I could sustain that… (By the way: I really like both No S and Shovelglove. :-D)

One thing that hasn't really kicked in for me is the "shame" part of No S. I seem perfectly capable of following the "letter of the law", while still getting quite a few calories aboard. I guess I'm telling myself that if I start restricting beyond the letter of the law, I'll start rebelling, and give up… Therefore, no real shame bc/o big portions.

I'll think about the defaults. (I've got the book, so I'm familiar with the concept; just haven't implemented it yet.)

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:31 pm

You have had tremendous success in habit-building, and for most people that is the hardest part. Don't be discouraged, and certainly don't quit. You've already gotten some great advice on this thread. The smaller the changes you make to your well-established habit, the better. Simple adjustments can pay big dividends over time. But be thankful you have ingrained the pattern. Lots of people lose weight, but very few learn the habits necessary to sustain a lighter/healthier bodyweight and lifestyle.

Joel

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Two ideas: one, make sure you're watching your sugar and super-refined carb intake. I really do believe that in some people, even lower calories won't be enough to help you lose weight if you're eating lots of sugary and highly processed stuff. Second, I recommend the book "Volumetrics" which places foods in "energy density" categories. You never have to count calories (which is boring and makes you feel horrible,) but you DO have to be aware of how energy dense some foods are. For example, you could eat one tiny little cracker, OR a huge bowl of air-popped popcorn. If you make wise choices, you can fill your one meal plate with a big amount of food that will fill you up, and still consume far fewer calories then you might with smaller amounts of very energy dense foods.