Rate of Loss

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Aquapixie

Rate of Loss

Post by Aquapixie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Has anyone found, that when you first go on this way of eating, you lose weight faster at the beginning? I'm sure I have ate much, much less yesterday and today, than I did the previous two days. If I keep it up, it stands that I will lose. I know a lot of people have said they gained or lost very little, but I'm wondering if anyone had a different experience?

Please share you experience in the first weeks.

Thanks!!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:25 pm

I didn't lose anything the first two weeks, then started losing at a steady rate since then. For me it has nothing to do with eating less - I eat much more now than I did before, and it's fairly high fat. (obviously I don't subscribe to the 'calories in/calories out/fat will make you fat theories).
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:25 pm

I've been trying to do no S, properly for two weeks, not very well since January (didn't have the book at first). Before last weekend I had lost 5 pounds, so about a pound a week - pretty good going. Have just stayed with mother for a long weekend and been pretty well fattened up, so I daren't go on the scales now - I'll be so disheartened if I've put weight on and I know I must have. But that was a blip, albeit a pretty big blip...

Aquapixie

Post by Aquapixie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks for replying Dandelion and Izbiz. :)

5 pounds in two weeks is awesome, as is a steady rate. Do you know why you didn't lose the first two weeks, Dandelion?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:58 am

As has been said before, No S is for the long run, not for quick weight loss, although some people might lose soon and quickly. It may depend on what your issues were. I think I have done quite well because my big issue was bingeing on sweets when I was NOT hungry. The longer I could wait to eat, the less I wanted to overeat. So three plates isn't hard. I don't like finishing meals feeling stuffed, but I could tolerate a lot when scarfing cake and chocolate. So, my calorie count just naturally dropped without having to think about it. I'm getting more sane on the weekends so I'm fluctuating less. It will be interesting to see where I plateau. The neat thing is I am only beginning and still have a lot of room for tweaking. Haven't even added exercise.

I use the Physics Diet site to keep track of weight (I know, it's not No S policy and I'm considering doing a 21-day no weigh bout) so I go by its average of my weight. Just after Christmas I weighed 185 (at 5'6'') and now my average is 175.5. It's been relatively painless. But I am actually not in a hurry. I gave myself a year to lose--and I mean permanently lose- 20 lbs, but I really believe it will be more like 30. I won't be skinny, but I won't be fat, and I'll be able to do this...FOREVER! Sanity.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 am

I weighed 145 around the first of the year and weighed 136.2 this morning. (I'm 5'3") For me, several pounds melted away rather quickly and the scale has been fluctating recently. I'm losing but slowly. That's OK by me ... As others have said, this is a long-term lifestyle decision. I have a few areas where I could tweak if need be (cutting back on eating out, cutting out diet soda, etc) but, for now, I'm staying the course.

My guess is that the average weight loss on No S will vary depending on a variety of factors such as how much one needs to lose in the first place, exercise habits, food choices, portion sizes, etc.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:31 am

I haven't really thought about since then. I just figure my body needed to adjust a bit from eating tiny amounts all day long to three big meals. The first week I was hungry - even light headed some afternoons. But things settled fairly quickly - surprisingly quickly - and it's hard to express - but I could just feel that what I was doing was 'right'. Like things started to click into place - digestion, energy, focus, sleep, mood - then the weight started to click, too :)
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

Aquapixie

Post by Aquapixie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:39 am

Thanks y'all for sharing your experiences. I guess it all comes down to being patient and not trying to compare to others.

I think I'll try to do the only weighing every 21 days, too. Not sure I can still with it, but I'm going to give it a shot.