My Story/Introduction

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RJLupin

My Story/Introduction

Post by RJLupin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi everyone! Today is my first day on the No S Diet. I haven't gotten the book yet, but I think I have a pretty good idea on how to do it based on reading the boards and intro.

I have always struggled with my weight since about the age of 12 or so. I went on a low-fat diet around then, and lost a lot of weight which I gained back over the next few years. In high school I developed an eating disorder and got very, very thin by starving myself. I gained that back, too. THEN I went on the Atkins diet and lost a lot of weight, which I kept off until I was around 24. At 25 I got very sick with what turned out to be fibromyalgia, and gained the most weight ever because I was stuck at home in bed, where I ate constantly. Since then I haven't been able to stick to any diet, and am a good 50 pounds heavier than what I would like to weight. I have tried low-carb (again) and Medifast and diet pills and I don't know what else.

Nothing I have been trying has worked, mainly because the "diets" I go on tell me to eat foods I can't stand, are hard to make, or are too expensive. I hate most meats, for example, so low carb doesn't really work out well for me. Worse yet, all of this dividing foods into the "good" and "bad" category has literally driven me almost crazy. I am so caught up in what I "should" eat that as soon as I deviate a bit, I always end up binging on sugar and starch. Most of my social events involve going out to eat, where it's usually impossible to get special diet food. I am disabled and don't work, and I've spent hundreds of dollars I don't have on different special foods and such.

I really hope I can get the No S eating regimen (I don't really think it's a diet) work for me. It will be nice to eat like a normal person, with three meals a day, instead of having to follow some weird ritual and consume special foods. Even if I don't lose a lot of weight, if I can get my eating under control and get over some of my food issues, I will consider it a success. It's horrible how I, and people like me, have fallen victim to all kinds of dreadful "diet" advice. I think the whole "you should snack ever 2 hours" type thing is especially bad, since it encourages people to constantly eat and anyway, most people do that anyway and gain weight instead of losing it.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Welcome to No S! We are glad to have you!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks! Wish me luck!

suz

Post by suz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Even if I don't lose a lot of weight, if I can get my eating under control and get over some of my food issues, I will consider it a success
You hit the nail on the head for me! I couldn't have said it better!

Today is my first day, also. I have done fine so far, although I am a bit hungry. Today was an unexpected day off (snow) so I am home and haven't been that active. I am committed to this plan for 6 weeks until April 2, when I will weigh myself for the first time, (after today) I am hoping to have developed good eating habits by then. The weight loss will be a plus!!!

I wish you the best! :D
I love food but want to change my relationship with it. Instead of the food controlling me, I want to be in charge!

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:53 am

suz wrote:
Even if I don't lose a lot of weight, if I can get my eating under control and get over some of my food issues, I will consider it a success
You hit the nail on the head for me! I couldn't have said it better!

Today is my first day, also. I have done fine so far, although I am a bit hungry. Today was an unexpected day off (snow) so I am home and haven't been that active. I am committed to this plan for 6 weeks until April 2, when I will weigh myself for the first time, (after today) I am hoping to have developed good eating habits by then. The weight loss will be a plus!!!

I wish you the best! :D
Thanks! Ironically, I am already doing pretty well today. I told myself I could eat whatever I wanted within the No S limits, and since I knew I was allowed to have stuff (carbs, sugar, etc) for some reason I am not craving it. Since I don't feel like I am on a "diet" (I am eating real food and not something low-carb or low calorie) I don't really have the urge to cheat. Without all the snacks I was "supposed" to be eating on the other regimens, I am not constantly nibbling and thinking about food.

For breakfast I had a protein shake, and for lunch I had a microwave dinner thing. Not sure about dinner yet. Not really hungry.

twosleepy

Post by twosleepy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:32 am

I just started today, too. I thought this would be fairly easy. After one day, I quickly discovered that A) It's not that easy and B) I am addicted to snacking. If I only did 2 Ss (seconds and sweets) it would be easy. I did not expect the snacks to be the issue. They are, and it's huge! After work, I wanted something SO badly when I got home, but I had nothing. I went and worked out, then made dinner and ate more than usual (as I did at breakfast and lunch), but I *wanted* more. I ate an Activia yogurt as part of my dinner, at the end, but I really want something now. I'm not going to eat anything, though. I am considering dropping the no snacks, but I really don't want to because I have obviously discovered what makes me fat, and I'm tired of being fat. If I can hold out for 3 days, I think I can make it to the weekend....

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:19 am

twosleepy wrote:I just started today, too. I thought this would be fairly easy. After one day, I quickly discovered that A) It's not that easy and B) I am addicted to snacking. If I only did 2 Ss (seconds and sweets) it would be easy. I did not expect the snacks to be the issue. They are, and it's huge! After work, I wanted something SO badly when I got home, but I had nothing. I went and worked out, then made dinner and ate more than usual (as I did at breakfast and lunch), but I *wanted* more. I ate an Activia yogurt as part of my dinner, at the end, but I really want something now. I'm not going to eat anything, though. I am considering dropping the no snacks, but I really don't want to because I have obviously discovered what makes me fat, and I'm tired of being fat. If I can hold out for 3 days, I think I can make it to the weekend....
I don't know if this is technically allowed or not, but when I get the urge for a snack, I suck on a cough drop. Almost no calories, and the strong menthol flavour makes food taste nasty, so I am not tempted to eat anything. Works pretty wel.

suz

Post by suz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:07 am

Cough drop! I like that idea! I know on the Biggest Loser they recommend a piece of sugarless gum, but I have TMJ problems and gum is out of the question! But a menthol cough drop might be a solution.

Thanks for sharing that.
I love food but want to change my relationship with it. Instead of the food controlling me, I want to be in charge!

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 am

suz wrote:Cough drop! I like that idea! I know on the Biggest Loser they recommend a piece of sugarless gum, but I have TMJ problems and gum is out of the question! But a menthol cough drop might be a solution.

Thanks for sharing that.
It really does help and it lasts a lot longer than the gum would. Also, I think gum makes me more hungry, but the cough drop definitely suppresses my desire to eat.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Wow! Lots of new folks! I'm sure you will love NoS as much as the rest of us. Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

So, to RJLupin, suz, and twosleepy a huge

WELCOME!!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

twosleepy

Post by twosleepy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks, Mimi!

I'll try cough drops (I use them anyway to help in singing). I use sugar-free drops, so no calories at all. I did wonder if it's considered cheating because it's a "snack", but after having read the whole page, I think in the spirit of the diet that no, it's not a snack. I chew gum, also, but too much does bother my TMJ. Moderation, moderation, moderation... :)

RJLupin

First Day Down

Post by RJLupin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:13 pm

I am done with my first day, and starting on my second. Zero problems yesterday, to my surprise. Normally I would have binged on sugar and starch in the evening, but I didn't. It was great waking up this morning feeling normal, and not stuffed and sick. I ordered the book from Amazon, and it should be here Wednesday.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I read somewhere if you want to stop snacking, getting some hand cream that has a scent, or paint your nails (for the ladies)... if your hands smell or you just did your nails... you may be less likely to feed yourself with snacks.... it's good for watching tv!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 am

Day 2 down, still doing great. This is SO much easier than what I was doing before. Since I told myself I wouldn't snack, there's never any debate about whether what I am eating is "on my diet" or not; I only eat at meals, and then I just eat one serving plate of normal food.

I expected to be hungry, I expected to want to binge, I expected all kinds of stuff but so far, so good. I am really optimistic.

twosleepy

Awaiting results...

Post by twosleepy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:37 pm

I am not impatient. I am curious to see what a week will show. I have been hungry, but less Day 2 than Day 1, probably because I ate more at breakfast and lunch, and knew what to expect from Day 1. I had dinner quite early (4:15 pm), and thought I'd be gnawing my arm off by 8:00, so I made sure I ate as much as I could, but not 2 helpings. I did feel a little hungry later, so I ate a 2" round sugar-free chocolate caramel peanut cluster, a little bigger than a Ritz cracker. :oops: I did feel guilty, but I ate only one, and didn't want anything else. Did I mention my chocolate addiction? This makes it hard. So I suppose I should mark Day 2 as a failure. But it was a little failure. I think I'll be fine today. Can't wait to see if I actually lose any weight...

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:47 pm

Day 4 is going fine. This is the easiest thing I have ever done, diet wise. I can't wait to see how the month goes.

Southerngal45

Post by Southerngal45 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:16 am

RJL I can't wait to see how your first weigh in goes.. Good Luck to you and thanks again for all the great tips you gave me earlier today!

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Day 5 and doing great! I am not going to weigh for at least two weeks, since I don't want to get discouraged by slow weight loss. Above and beyond any weight issues, I am really loving the freedom I feel from obsessing about food, counting calories or carbs, or eating weird "diet" stuff that I don't like.