Office Blues

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oliviamanda

Office Blues

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Anyone else notice that the whole office is eating around the clock, hitting up the snack machine, the candy jars, the baked goodies in the kitchenette, and the constant food talk?
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

donnao

Post by donnao » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 pm

YES !!

and it makes me crazy
especially if i am having a bad day, and the food is really talking to me

i wish that is was taboo to snack here-- i have read that in France

that snacking frowned on

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm

I definately agree. I don't have any idea how the other people at my work are so thin! They eat/drink all the time. My co-workers don't ask me to go with them on coffee breaks/vending machine trips any more but I still feel like I'm missing out. It's kinda a bummer. The last group event I went to at least 6 people asked me why I wasn't eating and saying "I'm not hungry" just lead to them telling me everything that was at the meeting to eat. In my head I was screaming "It's 4 o'clock in the afternoon people, can't you wait until dinner?!?"
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:27 pm

ShannahR, my co-workers that snack all day are not thin, actually far from it. And occasionally I get offered a cookie or candy and I just got used to saying no.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 pm

donnao wrote: i have read that in France

that snacking frowned on
I've read that about France and other countries as well. I've also read that 3 meals daily aren't the norm in many of those places. They don't snack, but they have more than 3 meals. The French are also known for eating breakfast and lunch about the same times we do, but 7:00 PM is early for dinner. Many restaurants don't open for dinner until 8:00 PM and to eat later is not unusual. So, sometime in the mid-afternoon they have something to hold them over until dinner. It might be some nuts and dried fruit or it might be a pastry. I've also read that the same is true in Italy and throughout much of the Mediterranean.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Olivia,
I think it would be easier if my co-workers were heavy. Then it would be a visual reminder for me when they offer me a snack or sweet what happens when you eat all day. When the person offering me a mid-afternoon snack is thin all I can think is how unfair it is that she can eat like that and stay a size 2 and I couldn't even get a size 2 around my ankle!
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP