Getting Started...Intro

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Journey

Getting Started...Intro

Post by Journey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi all,
I'm here because I'm sick of obsessing about food. I don't want to read another diet book! I just want a normal eating routine that I can stick to w/o a lot of rules, counting etc.

I was able to relax for a while without having to think about dieting because of pregnancy. I only gained 25 pounds. I was already overweight to begin with so that was not a concern for the doctor. I'm expecting this baby any day now (YAY...my first). I don't want to be left with this pregnancy weight nine months from now.

So, I've made a decision to follow this lifestyle plan for the rest of the year and see where it takes me. If it helps take the pregnancy weight off and keeps me from gaining any more, then I will have accomplished more that I did the last 2 -1/2 years of my life... I gained and gained and gained.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and hearing of your success.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:53 am

Welcome Journey! How exciting - a baby any day now! Keep us posted and let us know when he/she comes!
I'm here because I'm sick of obsessing about food. I don't want to read another diet book! I just want a normal eating routine that I can stick to w/o a lot of rules, counting etc.
I think you've found the right place...you will love NoS and you will most likely find that it will free you from your current food obsession. Following a NoS lifestyle brings about a peaceful relationship with food and eating. It certainly has for me - and I hope it will do the same for you.

Weight loss occurs as well - just know that for most people it happens slowly. NoS is not a *get slim quick* fad diet - it's a way of life.

Best wishes with your NoS journey and your new baby!
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:55 am

If your intention is just to try to get over food and diet obsession, I think this is your best bet. I'm 56, and this is the most reasonable plan I've seen. It's a wonderful combination of structure and freedom. The fact that you're thinking in terms of following the plan for the rest of the year puts you ahead of the game. That's the way I thought of it when I started 9 weeks ago, and it sounds just as smart and even more doable than it did then. To me, it's even better than a lot of the plans written for compulsive overeaters. IMHO, they concentrate too much on the emotional problems behind overeating rather than the habit issue. Just avoiding reinforcing the urges with food will cut down a lot the link between emotions and food.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi Journey -- welcome!
oolala53 wrote:To me, it's even better than a lot of the plans written for compulsive overeaters. INHO, they concentrate too much on the emotional problems behind overeating rather than the habit issue. Just avoiding reinforcing the urges with food will cut down a lot the link between emotions and food.
Some time ago I knew a guy who spent years in therapy trying to figure out why he did something so he could stop it. I asked him why he didn't stop doing it, and worry about the why later. It seemed to me that while he was figuring out why, he was still going to be doing it (I don't remember now what "it" was), maybe for years.

Then there's just the "what to eat." I look at it this way: People have been eating vegetables, fruits and meats since the dawn of time. Grains, legumes, dairy products and eggs for the last 10,000 years or so. I don't know how long they've been eating white rice, flour and refined sugar. But they've been slim (and healthy) doing it. It's only been the last 50-60 years since faux food has become a major part of the diet and when eating habits have run amok that weight and health have become issues.

Some unknown wise person said that if we don't learn from history, we're doomed to repeat it. This is one instance when repeating it would be a good idea! I can think of a few others, too. Funny thing is, most of them have to do with things that happen in the home.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

becky123abc

Post by becky123abc » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Journey! :D

I'm new to this too...and I'm the same weight as you...we can cheer each other on!!

The book was so interesting to me. I know what kinds of foods are good for me...I think we all pretty much know that due to all the diet books we've read! :lol:

But I've never read a book that really addressed the issue of SNACKING :evil: like the No-S book does. I really think that's been my problem.

Yesterday was my first S-day...and I did snack...not as much as I would have before starting this...but probably more than I should have. I was more aware of what I was putting in my mouth. And I wasn't even hungry at supper time.

After only 1 week behind me (so I know I'm probably too new to really know anything :lol: I can say I really enjoyed my plate meals on my N-days. I was so ready to eat...and they tasted so good. YEsterday I can't say I really enjoyed my meals as much.

Anyway...I'm with you...I want this to be a new way of eating. We are going to eat like some skinny people naturally eat. It will become natural to us too! :D

Sorry for my ramblings...I need this type of discussion...it's very helpful and encouraging!! I'm so excited! :!:

Becky

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Welcome, Journey, and congratulations on your new baby! I hope your labor and delivery is quick and routine.

To me, ending the food obsession may be the greatest benefit of No S. I no longer have "diet head," as Mimi calls it. The best description I ever read of the mental change of No S came from a poster named buttercreampillow, who said:
Sometimes it's tempting to be critical of how I eat during the day, like today when I didn't eat any fruits or veggies. (Granola and sushi.) I don't think that's a good idea (being critical). I think No S is working for me because there is no guilt or criticism. I feel that I'm doing fine, so I feel capable of doing this forever. I don't have to work to motivate myself, I don't look back on my day except to be pleased with how well it went, I look forward to each meal as something to enjoy. I don't feel frightened of food, or eating opportunities, or of myself as some kind of insatiable monster barely contained by my own frail willpower.
I hope you find the same serenity about food that No S has given so many of us.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Welcome!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Journey

Post by Journey » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and encouragement.

It's nice to find a place where people actually understand what you are feeling.

Becky123abc, I can't wait to hear about your progress as the year goes on. You can count me as one of your cheerleaders. Maybe by the end of the year we will be the same weight!

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Starla wrote:Welcome, Journey, and congratulations on your new baby! I hope your labor and delivery is quick and routine.

To me, ending the food obsession may be the greatest benefit of No S. I no longer have "diet head," as Mimi calls it. The best description I ever read of the mental change of No S came from a poster named buttercreampillow, who said:
Sometimes it's tempting to be critical of how I eat during the day, like today when I didn't eat any fruits or veggies. (Granola and sushi.) I don't think that's a good idea (being critical). I think No S is working for me because there is no guilt or criticism. I feel that I'm doing fine, so I feel capable of doing this forever. I don't have to work to motivate myself, I don't look back on my day except to be pleased with how well it went, I look forward to each meal as something to enjoy. I don't feel frightened of food, or eating opportunities, or of myself as some kind of insatiable monster barely contained by my own frail willpower.
I hope you find the same serenity about food that No S has given so many of us.
That is exactly how I feel! I no longer think of food as an enemy, something I have no control over. I really think the old diet mentality I had actually contributed to my weight problems, because there was always this good/bad dichotomy I no longer dread going out to eat, fearing I would "go off my diet" and eat whatever it was I wasn't supposed to be eating that week (carbs, calories, whatever.) I actually enjoy my food more, since I am not eating bland "diet" stuff in place of something I really like. For the first time in a long time, I feel like a normal person eating normal meals, not a fat person overeating, or a person "on a diet" eating special food.