I've fallen off the wagon! Saying no to food...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

dudley123

I've fallen off the wagon! Saying no to food...

Post by dudley123 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the board, and relatively new to No-S - started at the beginning of February. It was GREAT for the first few weeks - I felt really balanced, and I didn't have the severe sugar cravings that have plagued me literally for as long as I remember. I lost a couple of pounds - not as much as I've lost on other diets, but I felt healthy and my jeans were a bit easier to button. I am not severely overweight, per se, but am looking to lose the additional 15ish pounds I've been carrying for the past few years, and see this as a very attainable, sustaining way of doing so.

Then, a week and a half ago, I had an extremely stressful day at work and the diet went down the tubes. It started with a little, tiny cookie with my afternoon coffee. Since then, I have been eating everything in sight, even when I'm not hungry. I know that it's counterproductive, but it's been an emotional mechanism for me since childhood, and I can't seem to work up the desire to just stop.

I work in a position related to the food and wine industry. I am constantly eating out for work, surrounded by goodies delivered to the office, eating meals provided by clients at events and meetings, etc. It's not saying "no" to sweets and snacks once and a while; it's saying "no" all day, every day. I love what I do, but good lord, it is hard not think about food all the time when it's always there!

Anyhow, any stories of support and advice on getting back on the wagon would be much appreciated. Any suggestions of how to get back to the "good place"? I know that it should be as easy as, "just do it, it'll be good for you" - but, it's not!

Thanks in advance, ladies and gentlemen!

oolala53

hang in there

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:28 pm

That is a hard one. I'm not sure a person can machinate being ready to do this. I've sent you a personal message because I went on for so long, but I hope you find your mojo soon. I will say briefly that the most potent motivation may just be the belief that all the other options are too untenable. In the meantime, if you can, get to the next meal hungry! And go from there. Good luck. :lol:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:50 pm

First of all, welcome! You have taken an important step just by being here.

I understand that you are facing additional challenges because of your job. It really must be hard to be surrounded by food all the time. I don't have similar temptations at work so I'm not sure what to tell you about that, but perhaps someone else has some advice.

I can, however, tell you that I know how you feel about falling off the wagon and how hard it is to get back on. I first started No S in late January, had a perfect five weeks and was feeling pretty confident, and then suddenly had a bad day where I started snacking and couldn't stop. I tried to shake it off and get back on the wagon the next day...and failed once again. I was feeling pretty discouraged and (to be honest) thought about abandoning this board and my check-in thread because I didn't want to admit to failure, but I forced myself to be honest in both my Habitcal and my check-in page.

This was a HUGE change for me. In the past on other diets, if I had a bad day, I'd give up altogether. But I really see No S as a way of eating for life, and not just a diet. So I was determined not to let a day or two of failure derail me. Keeping my Habitcal religiously and regularly updating my check-in thread have kept me feeling accountable. I would recommend using Habitcal if you aren't already doing so. If you don't have a check-in thread, you might also want to consider starting one. It can be as elaborate or as simple as you'd like it to be. I used to list my meals each day, but lately I've been a bit more free-form, just recording whether the day was a success or failure and writing some food-related thoughts for the day. It's a way of forcing myself to be honest both to myself and to others about how I'm coping with this new way of eating.

Good luck.

Cold7Play7

Post by Cold7Play7 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 am

I also have fallen off the bandwagon-- multiple times, and for as much as four months at a time-- and I've found that after I "mess up," my perspective on the situation is pretty out of whack. The only thing you can do in these situations is mark a red day on your calendar and move on. Try to think back to the foods or situations that proved too tempting-- is there any way you could avoid them in the future? For me, I found that after a few months on the diet, sweets, snacks, and seconds seemed so out of place on N days that I didn't even think about them-- they were out of the question, so there wasn't much point. Even though your job puts an unusual amount of temptation your way, you will probably find that, with time, the little snacks and treats will not really be temptation (on N days-- S days, I have found, can be a different story).

And remember that he next day may be a red day, the day after that may be a red day-- but even if you have a year of red days, what is the worst thing that will happen to you? You are trying to develop a healthy relationship to food, not match up to some standard of the "perfect" No-S-er. Another benefit of red days: the more times you mess up, the more you notice how little your friends' and family's affection for you has to do with your performance.

dudley123

Thanks!

Post by dudley123 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:00 am

Thank you so much for the great responses, everyone!! I really like the advice about marking a day as red, then moving on. I think part of my disordered way of looking at food is that, once I mess up once during a day (or week, even), I look at it as, "Oh well, I might as well eat whatever I want now, since it's a lost cause!" In reality, that 100-calorie piece of candy probably didn't harm me that much, but days of gorging sure as heck will! I also think accountability on this board will help me out. Anyhow, starting again this week, hopefully with better results.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:12 am

This is not a "SAY NO TO FOOD" diet. This is a "WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT S DAY" diet. Big difference!
Kathleen

redqueen

Post by redqueen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Kathleen wrote:This is not a "SAY NO TO FOOD" diet. This is a "WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT S DAY" diet. Big difference!
Kathleen
Kathleen, that sentence could actually make all the difference for me! Thanks! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:56 pm

The funny thing is when I used to "diet" and then reach a day that was supposed to be a day I could eat anything, I never wanted to go back to the diet and I would keep pigging out day after day. Now, I don't feel resistance to Mondays. Not sure why, but I'm not complaining.

Just get to the next meal hungry!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:39 am

Well, being in front of food all day, you really do have to say "no" in order to get thru the day without snacking.. but think about a nice meal you will have at home when you finish work and then relish it!
In the meantime, you can train yourself to not eat what's there but it will take multiple attempts and perserverence.
Keep chanting the NoS Mantra:

"You are pre disapproved" :)
I like to do that when I walk through the candy aisle at the supermarket :)

(actually at this point after a few years here, I don't have to do that much anymore)

Good luck
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 am

dudley, one thing I'm doing that might potentially help you: I take my S days as Friday and Sunday, with Saturday as an N day again. This isn't official NoS policy, it's a modification, but I like breaking up the S days rather than having two in a row. I was just thinking that it might be nice for you to have one S day while you're still at work, so you could indulge a bit in those goodies you're surrounded by all week ... (With the usual caveat of "Don't go completely crazy!", of course.)

Of course, I'd also second all the above comments about long-term thinking: if you can think of this as a permanent way of eating rather than something you're putting up with temporarily, that's the best defence against feeling like one slip means the end of the "diet" -- because it's not a transient diet, it's the way you eat, now.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 am

Oh, and I keep meaning pointing people with this question to a passage that's a bit buried in Reinhard's own description (I mean, it's right there on the main NoS page, but it's so far down at the bottom that it's easy to miss):

From http://nosdiet.com/ :

Sometimes it takes a false start (or 12)

Some people, like me, get No S the first time they try it. It works and it sticks. But most people have a bit more trouble than that. In fact, you might do best if you assume you'll screw up the first time, so you don't get too discouraged. Consider it a reconnaissance mission, a trial run, just to feel out how hard it's going to be and where problems are going to arise. If the enemy, appetite, turns out to be such a chump that your reconnaissance mission routs him, great, you've succeeded. It might be that easy, you won't know until you try. If not, you've learned more about him, where he's likely to ambush you. You're stronger, better prepared for next time. Don't feel stupid for trying and failing. Success is the sum of many failures. This isn't just pep talk. According to a recent article I was pointed to (thanks, Valerie):

"Studies show that altering eating habits for good requires 10 to 12 concerted attempts to succeed - which is to say about a dozen failures come before the eventual success. "That's not reason to despair," said John Norcross, professor of psychology at the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania and a researcher on self-initiated change. "If anything, it's reason to say, 'I'm not doing so bad.' "

So quit dawdling and get some failures under your belt!

Need something more inspirational than another pseudostatistic? Try Winston Churchill: "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:21 am

Just start again.

But...

Make it as easy for yourself as you can. Plan nice meals... include some favorite non-sweet things you love at mealtimes. Find other (non-food) treats that address the emotional side. Celebrate your accomplishments - even partial successes. If there's something you want, remember it for the next S-day (and plan some good treats then).

Good luck!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:25 pm

I spent months and months being a complete idiot on S Days. One memorable day was when I had approximately 4,000 calories of caramel macademian clusters. My body used to revolt against dieting and starving with binges. Now my body is revolting against overeating. You literally could not pay me $1,000 to eat 4,000 calories of caramel macademian clusters. This approach has meant very slow weight loss of approximately 1 pound per month, but that amount adds up over 18 months.
Kathleen

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:49 am

Kathleen, thanks for that post. It was just what I needed to hear. Even though I'm always telling people one of the biggest mistakes wanna be weight-losers make is wanting to be thin and have it all figured out in a few weeks or months, I was finding myself starting to wonder if I should be trying to modify the rules for S days, purposely limiting myself to one dessert or such. This after 9 weeks. I guess I should just trust the process. I have actually already lost about 10 lbs, so I should be grateful. I'm also abstaining from weighing myself, though, for a 3-week streak, just to see what it's like. I haven't consistently added exercise, either. Much to tweak before focusing on S days.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Dudley

I just want to add my support & to say I'm in the same boat as you! Its SO common unfortunately to fall off the wagon, and the worst thing is exactly what you describe (which I'm guilty of too): that once something doesn't go right, say, you have a small snack on one particular day, then its as if all hell breaks loose & you have 'license' to just go off NoS completely.

As I said, I'm sadly experienced in this myself. In fact, just this morning I made blueberry & almond muffins while my toddler son was having his breakfast, and then- what did I think would happen??-he & I shared a warm muffin together. And its not just today. Yesterday was pretty crap too.

My only advice is to try try try again until you get it right. And even then its never going to be perfect, it just needs to be good enough to work. NoS is (fortunately or unfortunately, depending how you look at it) a slow weight loss way of eating. Its more a way of eating, actually, rather than a diet or a weight loss program. Losing weight is the added bonus.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts of this moment. Not sure they're helpful in any way, I actually need to take them into consideration too in order to get myself back on track.

Good luck. Don't beat yourself up over this. But at the same time, you're accountable & responsible for your eating, so take that responsibility & use it well by making your next days proper green ones. Eventually the habits will fall into place &- believe me- it'll become easier.
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 am

Ten pounds is wonderful! I hate to be arrogant, but here goes: the person who is the head of the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity Research, who has spent his life researching obesity and is now in the limelight over the tax on soda, is himself -- overweight! Look it up on youtube. His name is Kelly Brownell. I've listened to lots of podcasts from the Rudd Center and have gotten lots of ideas from there, and I respect him tremendously. Still, can you imagine how difficult it is for this man to be in his position and not be able to appear as of normal weight? How about our Surgeon General, a clearly morbidly obese woman who just presented a paper on obesity? This is a tough, tough issue. I've only lost 18 pounds in 18 months, and I still binge, and so what. My life is no longer dominated by thoughts of food. It's almost shocking, like living near highway for 10 years and then going out winter camping and hearing -- nothing! Slow weight loss is not a problem. Fast weight loss followed by a tortured maintenance program followed by relief and disgust in regaining weight is a problem.
Kathleen

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:35 pm

I've twisted my ankle more times than once falling off the bandwagon.

Went to work for a lawfirm last summer - it is actually an old house turned into an office. We have a complete kitchen, stove - fridge - microwave, etc. that the bosses keep constantly stocked with food for us to eat. At first I took advantage of the options (adding to the stash with stuff I brought, of course).

Not to mention the huge candy dish (I mean like a salad bowl size) that is constanly filled with the very best of confections. Where is it located, you might ask? UH, on my desk - about a foot away from where I sit to answer the phones, type, etc. Pox on me for working in the "reception" area.

Then of course we had the holidays with clients bringing or sending all kind of goodies.

So, where did all this get me?

Ten, fifteen pounds heavier.

IN SIX MONTHS.

So, I now eat nothing from the kitchen unless it is what I have specifically brought for that day (except for herbal tea - we have a HUGE selection of that).

Not one piece of candy, not one.

honest :roll:

The only advice I can give you is to stay strong. Even when your co-worker is unwrapping Dove bars from the candy dish on YOUR desk, popping them in her mouth and putting the trash in YOUR trashcan right in front of you. Not to mention the smell of freshly made popcorn.....

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 pm

As miraculaous as it seems, it actually sounds plausible that I could someday be sitting right by candy and not eat it. In the past few weeks, I have had ice cream in my freezer and chocolate in the cabinets, but have not eaten any during the week. I still don't quite understand why I can stick to this rule when I wasn't able to on so many occasions, but it's true. I just think now, "That's not me." I just don't eat sweets on weekdays. No dickering or weighing the options. I just don't want to slide down that slippery slope. Better to just stay up on the edge of the ridge. And the more I don't do it, the more I don't do it.

It would take a very special occasion for me to declare an S day. Maybe it's indicative of my lack of social life that I haven't had a reason to, but I'm fine with it. Most occasions for me have occurred on the weekend anyway. Maybe Memorial Day weekend? Before then, I can't think why I would. My meals are delicious and filling!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

dudley123

Thank you!

Post by dudley123 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice! I am blown away by the number of you that took the time to respond to me!

Last week went...o.k. By Thursday, I was off the bandwagon again. What I'm realizing is, due to my lifestyle and job, I simply need to plan better. For example - I knew I'd be working quite late one particular night last week, well past my standard dinner time. I should have planned to have four smaller meals during the day - something at my desk late afternoon to tide me over until I got home, and then a second small "dinner" later in the evening after work. Instead, I waited until I was absolutely starving around 8 p.m., then gorged on the remains of a cheese and cracker platter I found lying around the office. Being tired and not wanting to put any thought into what I'm eating is often the cause of overeating for me during the week. I feel as though if I put more effort into the advance planning - going out on the weekend and stocking up on some of my favorite non-sweet foods, as someone suggested - this will become less of a problem for me.

I also really like the idea of making one of my work days an "S" day instead of Saturday or Sunday...will need to think about this more, but seems like a practical solution.

Anyhow, back on the bandwagon for this week, hopefully with better results! Thanks again, all!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:06 pm

so..here is what happened to me. :cry: I thoughtI had eating pretty much under control...enjoyed my "treats" so S days :) .. kept to 3 meals durng the week, and then,,, last week end, as we were out and about a little tourist town nearby, a HUGE car almost backed over us in our little bitty car! I was screaming , "STOP!!" (not sure how I thought that would help!) My hubby managed to get out of the way and no damage was done. I was ready to go home but hubby said, "Let's just complete our errands." Can you believe a lady ran a red light and just missed us!! I was in a crazed state by the time we got home!! I kept repeating to myself, "If hunger is not the problem, then food is not the answer." But I couldn't make myself feel better. I ended up eating..and then eating some more. all the while reminding myself that food wasn't the answer...but I couldn't find "the answer!"..so I ate. I was really bummed that I let myself do that! It took me a few days to get back to my normal food plan. I just really couldn't do it :( :( Here is the difference from how I would have treated myself in the past: I am not beating myself up about the "event" . It happened, I tried my best, apparently i am not"there" yet and, in an emotional situation, food is still a comfort I need. I will work on that. :D dudley, you need to know that you will "fall off the noS wagon' and you need to need those falls to examine what is going on that requires you to turn to food as an answer.
I really was surprised to have that need to eat be so strong..we are all learners here! Good luck!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:39 pm

Grammy G wrote:so..here is what happened to me. :cry: I thoughtI had eating pretty much under control...enjoyed my "treats" so S days :) .. kept to 3 meals durng the week, and then,,, last week end, as we were out and about a little tourist town nearby, a HUGE car almost backed over us in our little bitty car!
Well, it's not unusual to want to counter a life-threatening situation with a very visceral life-affirming response like eating. I remember a car wreck that had me hungry and.. well...

I think that sort of thing is human.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:51 pm

thanks for the reply, Noel...i really needed to hear that! :D
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Grammy G,
I give myself a complete pass on whatever I eat on S Days. Yes, for months, I ate a lot, but no longer. Last night, I passed on a large chocolate chip cookie at a swim team banquet. There was zero willpower involved. It kind of turned my stomach to think of eating it. Of course, I had lots of Girl Scout cookies yesterday afternoon. There is in fact a limit to how much to eat.
Kathleen