Weekday dinner guests - need tips for dessert!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alarkaspree

Weekday dinner guests - need tips for dessert!

Post by alarkaspree » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:16 pm

It's Monday and we have guests coming for dinner tonight. So I have to make some kind of dessert or second course. I can't serve dessert but not have any myself, that just seems rude or at least socially awkward.

So I was thinking of serving a cheese-and-fruit plate, then I could just have some fruit. But does anyone have any other ideas?

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Cheese & fruit sounds good, depends on the type of company. The only thing I could come up with is possibly a homemade apple crisp, using only apples, oatmeal & some cinnamon and suar. And also ending with some French vanilla coffee.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Check this out! This is very easy to make and you reall can substitute the fruit for what you have in season!

http://www.recipezaar.com/Berries-Salad ... eam-199184
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Stuffed figs. Slice dried figs halfway open, then stuff with a spoonful of chopped walnuts tossed with honey, cinnamon, and a dash of salt to taste. Since you won't be able to fit much filling inside the fig (they're small), a handful or two of walnuts total is probably all you need. You can virtual-plate and just have one. I make this often when we have friends over for dinner during the week and everyone always loves them.

Alternatively, you can just make something and after dinner say you're too full for anything else. People don't usually argue with that!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Frozen peach slices, thawed, topped with frozen, thawed raspberries.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

alarkaspree

Post by alarkaspree » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks for all these ideas! I am going to do the figs, also have cheese and grapes. Now I just need to resist the cheese...