I'm back (again)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babyprrr

I'm back (again)

Post by babyprrr » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi just a post to say I'm officially back after losing my way a bit. I did NoS for 3 years and all was fine until I got too complacent and decided I'd dealt with all my food issues and if I wanted a chocolate brownie at 4 pm on Wednesday, why wasn't I allowed to? So I did some 'food balancing' and ate a salad for lunch if I wanted a brownie/snack later etc.

This was okay for quite sometime until a few things happened: the frequencies of brownies increased, sometimes I had pizza for lunch and the guilt related to food came back. I also went through a breakup at this time and responded to this by binge-eating and right now I'm at the point where I binge-eat at least 3 days out of 7. I nearly cried when I tried on a dress in my usual size and it wouldnt zip up no matter how hard I tried.

So I'm back, I might combine this with Eat Stop Eat but I'm going to concentrate on getting my green days at the moment. I've decided after 14 consecutive green days I'm allowed to go buy myself a fabulous new dress/pair of new shoes!

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:23 pm

Welcome back! The good thing is you know that No S works. I had a 2 year break from No S because my willpower weakened due to a change in my working environment and new stresses. I am relieved to be following again and hope I don't ever feel the need to stray. Go get your shoes and before you know it you will be back in your old clothes.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Too solid flesh

I'm back (again)

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Welcome back, babyprrr. It's good to see you here again. I'm sorry that you've been having such a hard time.

pirateman2k

Post by pirateman2k » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:59 am

I like eat-stop-eat. It seems to work. ESE + NoS is a sensible combination, especially if you make sure your fasting days are followed by N days.

Make sure you have the NoS habit down before adding anything, and fasting followed by S days is a recipe for disaster, in my experience...

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Welcome back, babyprrr! I too combine ESE and No S and have lost 10.5 pounds since the beginning of February. I actually was doing ESE first but felt out of control during my non-fasting days. No S gives me the structure I need not to go crazy around food. I like pirateman2k's recommendation of being comfortable back on No S before combining them. When I had a No S slip up last month, I waited until I had more than a week of all green and yellow days before fasting again.

Wishing you success in your journey. :)

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:32 pm

I failed.

To cut a long story short, mon-weds was all good, thurs I had ONE bag of chips after lunch which wasn't pre-planned and made me confused about whether it was an S or not. This led to a binge and deciding i was going to try to be normal about food and not do NoS.

Had some chocolate after lunch and triggered off another binge.

Ugh. I failed. I was almost too disgusted to post here but I wont give up. I'll keep trying. Whenever I think I deserve that little bag of crisps I'll tell myself i DESERVE to look slim and healthy instead.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:36 pm

most failures are learning experiences. you don't have the habit yet, but saying no to snacks gets easier in time.

And you can have the crisps, but at mealtime. all the best!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Clarica has a point. If there is a food you're craving that isn't a sweet, consider taking a bit for part of a meal.

I know I mention bento a lot, but I've really learned something from making them. My boxes are pretty small in volume -- call it 580 ml. (About 2.5 cups, for those of us Stateside). When you make a bento, instead of making a large portion of a single food, you have these little bits and bites of many different kinds of foods. Sure, I try to make mine half fruits and veggies, but I put three to five different kinds in there. Believe it or not, when you get in the habit of eating a meal that way, you'll find that a small portion of a craved food is a nice treat.

That means a little handful of crisps won't be in a large enough portion to damage you, but is still enough to satisfy the craving.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:50 pm

babyprrr wrote:I failed.

To cut a long story short, mon-weds was all good, thurs I had ONE bag of chips after lunch which wasn't pre-planned and made me confused about whether it was an S or not. This led to a binge and deciding i was going to try to be normal about food and not do NoS.

Had some chocolate after lunch and triggered off another binge.

Ugh. I failed. I was almost too disgusted to post here but I wont give up. I'll keep trying. Whenever I think I deserve that little bag of crisps I'll tell myself i DESERVE to look slim and healthy instead.
Pick yourself up and get back on track. I had a long-time successful run with NoS very similar to what you described above. In coming back to NoS, I've found it a bit harder to keep myself on track (not exactly sure why, but it looks like this is something you're experiencing too--maybe we can figure it out?). I've found the best thing to do after a failure is to try and concentrate your efforts on making the next day (or rest of the remaining day) green rather than dwelling on the red. You can do it, really!

Gia

Post by Gia » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:43 pm

How are you doing now? Hope you are slowly coming back to no s!!!! The first 21 days are tough.... But you did it once so you can do it again!!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Welcome back, babyprrr, and sorry to hear you've run into some turbulance getting started again.

If it's any comfort, I had a brutal few months late summer and fall -- not no-s wise (almost 10 years "on-habit" has made that pretty much indestructible) -- but some of my other systems (most notably, my daily punchcard tasks) more or less collapsed for over a month. I'm still not quite at the compliance level I was at before this crisis, but I'm getting there. Using the habitcal and fessing up irregularities in my daily check in thread has been a big help.

So try not to be too down on yourself, even the "guru" himself runs into trouble sometimes.

Best of luck and looking forward to hearing more,

Reinhard