Am trying this again

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DebbiAnn

Am trying this again

Post by DebbiAnn » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 am

Hi I have been away for more than a year and I am glad this board is still going strong. For the past year, I have been on low-carbs. I lost 20 lbs and am standing still. I am also board with this way of eating. At 65, I feel that I want to eat normally again. Although my cholesterol dropped to 186 from off the charts and I am afraid of going off low carbs will bring it back up. The last thing I need is another medication. I haven't got a good exercise program either. My hips are slowly eroding away and in a few years I will need new ones. Now that the weather is getting better, I might try walking the dog on a flat area. I live on a hill and going down is harder on my hips that coming back up.

Any way I am here to give another try.

Debbi

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:04 am

Welcome back, DebbiAnn.

In regards to the cholesterol...

I've found that avoiding processed food keeps it lower. At least, that is what has worked for me. I do eat the "white stuff" -- but avoid canned and packaged foods -- all those foods whose ingredients lists sound like a chemistry experiment. My cholesterol has steadily dropped. In fact, the only time it's ever been elevated is when my diet was higher in processed foods.

Good luck on your return.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

DebbiAnn

Post by DebbiAnn » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:41 am

Thanks for the advice. It good to know. I got thru my first day. I really want this to work.
Debbi

WOE - moderation
Stats - Start 199/180/150

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 am

I have to admit that when I hear low-carb I think high protein and high fat. Or, at the very last, more animal protein and fat. If one believes that saturated fat is responsible for elevated cholesterol, then someone following a low-carb diet should have high cholesterol.

Among those healthy populations around the world, most eat a starch-based diet, though some eat a more meat based diet. None have high cholesterol.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Best wishes and glad you are back.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:49 am

Welcome back! I am also a member of the "over 65 club" !!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:50 am

Good luck here. Don't know what you "should" be eating, but I think you'll figure it out. No matter what, get to the next meal hungry!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)