Is St. Patrick's Day a S Day?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sk8trsandy

Post by sk8trsandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Does St. Patrick's Day count as a S Day for anyone? There are cupcakes at work, and I'd like one, but I'm not sure if I have one today that I will have to trade a weekend S Day for today. Just a bit confused.....thanks.
Sandy
Height 5'5"
Current Weight 179
Goal Weight 125
I cannot wait until my clothing size is smaller than my shoe size.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm not treating it as one, though I will be having an Irish Coffee tonight. (A properly-made Irish coffee is not a sweet, as it uses heavy cream and not sweetened whipped cream out of a can like you get in American bars).

Obviously it's too late now, but I think ideally Non-Weekend S days (NWS days) should be decided in advance. If you usually celebrate St. Paddy's in a big way, go for it. Me, wearing green and having an Irish coffee is about the extent of it.

Oh, and you don't trade S-days. Weekends are S-days. National holidays, birthdays and religious holidays are ALSO S-days.

Reinhard comments in his book that if you're averaging more than two NWS days a month, you might want to re-assess.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Is St. Patrick's Day special for you? Reinhard says:
Special days include (your) national and (your) religious and (your) close family's and friend's birthdays.
If St Patrick's Day is special for you, you could take a Non-Weekend S Day. Reinhard recommends no more than a couple a month, and I've certainly sabotaged my weight loss by having too many in the past.

Do the cupcakes look really special? Home-made, or shop-bought?

Also, are you trying to establish the habits of No S? If you've only just started, you might want to err on the side of caution.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

sk8trsandy

Post by sk8trsandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks for the comments. I loooove green beer and corned beef and cabbage, but that said, I don't normally celebrate St. Paddy's day too much. I just heard there were cupcakes at the break room in the office. I went and looked at them and they didn't look amazing, so I didn't take one. This will remain a NoS day for me.

Thanks again, Sandy
Sandy
Height 5'5"
Current Weight 179
Goal Weight 125

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Sounds like you made the right call.

It's obviously a personal decision -- but if you don't have Irish background and aren't planning on actually celebrating it's probably a bit of a stretch. Otherwise you're going to be feasting all year round, if you celebrated every national holiday in the world.

Although here in Boston you could also claim an extraordinary degree of American patriotism as an excuse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation ... achusetts)

:-)

Reinhard

sk8trsandy

Post by sk8trsandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:47 pm

My people seem to have gotten around, so I'm a Heinz-57 of sorts....with Irish being a huge chunck of my ethnicity and I consider myself a Patriot, but I really just wanted a cupcake. :lol:

I'm not doing anything special for St. Paddy's Day and this is just a normal work day, so this will not be a NWS day for me.
Sandy
Height 5'5"
Current Weight 179
Goal Weight 125

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Welllll..I just came back from a little ST. Pat's Day dinner where I had one plate of special-to-the-day food: corned beef/cabbage/potatoes/carrots and two green beers....I think that it was a celebration but I stayed within the one plate,normal day plan :wink: A win-win situation, if you ask me!! :)
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

sk8trsandy

Post by sk8trsandy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:01 am

Good for you Grammy G. That does sound like a win-win.
Sandy
Height 5'5"
Current Weight 179
Goal Weight 125