Princeton says high-fructose corn syrup is BAD

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

marygrace

Princeton says high-fructose corn syrup is BAD

Post by marygrace » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 pm

I have a feeling many of us NoS-ers already believed this to be true, but new research from Princeton found that high-fructose corn syrup causes more weight gain than table sugar and increases the risk of developing metabolic syndrome.

"Some people have claimed that high-fructose corn syrup is no different than other sweeteners when it comes to weight gain and obesity, but our results make it clear that this just isn't true, at least under the conditions of our tests," said psychology professor Bart Hoebel, who specializes in the neuroscience of appetite, weight and sugar addiction. "When rats are drinking high-fructose corn syrup at levels well below those in soda pop, they're becoming obese -- every single one, across the board. Even when rats are fed a high-fat diet, you don't see this; they don't all gain extra weight."

Read the full article at http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/arch ... topstories.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:58 pm

That is interesting. I have to admit, I'd always thought they were more or less equivalent and that the demonization of corn syrup was just an attempt to find a scape goat, but this is pretty convincing. It's never been much an issue for me personally since we cook most of our own food, and even on S-days I'm not into soft drinks. But I imagine for some people it might be a rather big issue (60 pounds a year!?!).

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:36 pm

I've already started to lose a bit more recently as a result of eliminating corn syrup completely from my diet recently..
Thanks for posting this! :D
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:45 pm

From what I understand, there's corn syrup and then there's HFCS. What we can buy in the grocery store isn't the same as HFCS. I think it's extremely difficult to completely avoid HFCS.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Yeah I meant high fructose corn syrup...
I'm sure its hidden as well Wosnes, but I'm reading labels on *everything* now and if it says HFCS, I don't buy it anymore.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:09 am

wosnes wrote:I think it's extremely difficult to completely avoid HFCS.
Really? I figured as long as you're eating whole foods instead of processed, you're in the clear. Even if you eat certified organic or all-natural (which can't be certified, but if it's from a reputable brand) packaged foods, they'll be free of HFCS. I mean, the ingredient is in a lot of things, but it's always listed, so you could definitely avoid it. I think the only time I eat it is in Heinz ketchup, which is pretty rare--so I'm OK with that.

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:10 am

This is interesting, but most of my food is home-cooked, and I'm not about to run around reading labels looking for it.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks, marygrace, for posting this. Some years ago I became convinced that HFCS was bad and have been avoiding it ever since. It's good to have some scientific validation on the issue.

Once I started reading labels, I was shocked to find how many products were using it. My favorite whole wheat bread, for instance. I switched to another brand. I like to bake my own bread as much as possible, but I don't always have time, so we always keep a loaf of whole wheat in the freezer for sandwiches. Lots of so-called "natural" cereals use it, too.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Aleria wrote:This is interesting, but most of my food is home-cooked, and I'm not about to run around reading labels looking for it.
I make most of my food from scratch as well, so don't feel like I have a problem avoiding HFCS. But those commercials from the corn refiner's association trying to convince people that HFCS was the same as sugar would make my blood boil, so I'm glad that's over.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:28 pm

I avoid it as much as I can, but like marygrace said... ketchup. At home I have Heinz organic which does not have it, but if I'm out then there is no option. But I know that a little ketchup isn't going to break me. I also hate when I have to break down and drink a soda (a rare occasion, mostly at a party or in the summer).

HFCS is in everything and a lot of people are going to hear about the bad effects, but just don't care to change their ways. Processed food is so addictive and convenient. It's hard to break the cycle. But if you wonder why you're overweight and you consume a great deal of products that have HFCS, maybe you'd start losing if you cut them or reduced them in your diet.

It's even in the Special K! Like Elspeth said all these healthy cereals really are not all that healthy. I hate it that the only thing I can get to drink while I am out is water. Every single drink has it. That's why America if fat.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Over43

But Wait!

Post by Over43 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:52 pm

The Tele ads say HFCS is part of a healthy, balanced diet! :shock:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Hmmmm.... interesting. Thanks. I tend to not want to know what I'm eating. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Does any one remeber that TV add that says there is no significant difference between HFCS and sugar? (the one with the two teen age boys) I guess that makes me realize you can say anything on TV, no scientific evidence required even for health claims.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:11 pm

ShannahR wrote:Does any one remeber that TV add that says there is no significant difference between HFCS and sugar? (the one with the two teen age boys) I guess that makes me realize you can say anything on TV, no scientific evidence required even for health claims.
The producers will push HFCS as long as they can. I've noticed Pepsico is bringing out "old style" Pepsi and Mountain Dew with "real" suagr and not HFCS. A store where I live sells "Coke from Mexico" which is also made with sugar and not HFCS. I'm wondering if this is a prequel to bringing cane and sugar beet sugar back for good?

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:I've already started to lose a bit more recently as a result of eliminating corn syrup completely from my diet recently..
A friend of my dad's was a big soda drinker a couple of years back. He quit the pop, changed nothing else in his diet, and lost 25 pounds in 5-6 months.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:13 pm

THIS AD really grinds my gears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt5 ... re=related

Uggggh!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:16 pm

Nichole wrote:THIS AD really grinds my gears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt5 ... re=related

Uggggh!
YES. This one drives me nuts!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:20 pm

I think this is the teenage boy one someone was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJJGzbN ... re=related

I see the couple one more often though.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:36 pm

More and more products are making the switch from HFCS back to real sugar; I notice that Raisin Bran now boasts "no HFCS" and I've seen the same on other products. I had a Pepsi a while back that had sugar instead of corn syrup, and it did indeed taste better.

I, too, hate those commercials from the HFCS people. "It's the same as sugar, eat it as part of a balanced diet." Yeah, right. It's like having cigarette companies tell people smoking is harmless.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:09 pm

I, too, hate those commericals. There's always some humor in looking smart people look stupidl; you go Corn Association.

There are videos that make fun of them on YouTube as well. Those are really funny!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey!!! Guess what? I'm down another 2 lbs this week!!!!
That makes my loss in the last 2 weeks, 3 lbs!!!!

I've cut out all sources of high fructose corn syrup.
Before this I was using hot chocolate mix as a sweetener for my daily 4 to 5 cups of coffee, and I switched to chocolate flavoured sweetened soymilk, with a little added organic table sugar. And I'm now having more like 3 cups a day.

I just lost in 2 weeks, what it would previously take me 3 months to lose, due to losing a pound gaining a pound losing a pound gaining etc... going nowhere....

I'm completely ecstatic!!!!! :D
In another few weeks, I'll be looking at numbers on the scale which I haven't seen for a few years!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Over43 wrote:
gratefuldeb67 wrote:I've already started to lose a bit more recently as a result of eliminating corn syrup completely from my diet recently..
A friend of my dad's was a big soda drinker a couple of years back. He quit the pop, changed nothing else in his diet, and lost 25 pounds in 5-6 months.
That is wonderful!!!
I'm not a soda drinker at all, but I had been using a few teaspoons of hot chocolate with hfcs every day for about 3 years now, in my coffee instead of regular sugar.

Thanks for sharing :)
This feels like I've finally found the missing part of the weight loss puzzle for me, after many years now of serious frustration..
Yay!!! :D

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:36 pm

Congratulations, Deb! That's great news.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Thank you very much Too Solid Flesh! :D

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:38 pm

That's great Deb! I think there really is something to the HFCS thing. I have been trying to avoid buying products with it in, but somehow I didn't look at the labels on the low-sodium wheat thins and stroehmann potato bread. I can't believe it's in there!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Sigh, I used to LOVE Stroemans Whole Wheat bread, then I realized it has HFCS in it. So now I buy a different kind. It's still good, but I looooove Strohman's. I'm sure I could make my own, but I haven't tried yet.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Over43 wrote:
ShannahR wrote:Does any one remeber that TV add that says there is no significant difference between HFCS and sugar? (the one with the two teen age boys) I guess that makes me realize you can say anything on TV, no scientific evidence required even for health claims.
The producers will push HFCS as long as they can. I've noticed Pepsico is bringing out "old style" Pepsi and Mountain Dew with "real" suagr and not HFCS. A store where I live sells "Coke from Mexico" which is also made with sugar and not HFCS. I'm wondering if this is a prequel to bringing cane and sugar beet sugar back for good?
If it is a step towards bringing those back, I think it will show how much power consumers have.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."