MY SUCCESS

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

KHousley

MY SUCCESS

Post by KHousley » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:27 pm

It's been a tough week. A close relative passed away from Leukemia.
I was sad and tired and I really wanted to drown myself in a box of cookies. But I think my No S lifesyle is becoming a habit, I had a couple of cookies and then decided I did not need to drown my sorrows in food. I've noticed that these junk foods that were such a big part of my life just don't taste the same anymore. So, I decided to just deal with things naturally and continue with my new lifestyle and I'm so glad I did.
This is a permanent way of living for me.

I don't know how much weight I've lost, I decided to ditch the scale and focus on how I feel instead.

NoelFigart

Re: MY SUCCESS

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:06 pm

I am so sorry for your loss.

For what it's worth, I've found sticking to routine during tough times to be a big comfort.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:23 pm

I have noticed the same thing. Whens something bad happens, I no longer reach for food. If I were to eat a box of cookies, it wouldn't make things better: it would just mean something bad had happened, AND I had eaten a box of cookies. Sorry about your loss, but I am glad that you're getting the habit.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:24 am

So sorry for your loss. I notice when I'm doing No S (versus when I didn't) the sweets and snacks don't taste as good. You know there are no amount of cookies that are going to make you feel better. Going for a walk and just breathing and trying to make sense of things is better than autopilot eating. Stay strong. We are proud of you!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, but very impressed with how you handled it.

I believe that No S is "won" in small victories like the one you've described. You had a choice to make, and every possible justification for going back to your old way of eating. You chose No S. That's wonderful.

wosnes

Re: MY SUCCESS

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
For what it's worth, I've found sticking to routine during tough times to be a big comfort.
I think part of the reason that people (individuals and societies) manage to stay slim is because the way they eat is so much a part of their routine, so much a habit, that doing otherwise doesn't even cross their mind. It's probably similar to eating a specific way for religious reasons -- doing something else isn't a consideration.

I'm sorry for your loss.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:34 am

I"m sorry for your loss, but I agree with everyone else that you're handled it really well.
I'm the same way about food. I used to eat for emotional reasons, but then I realized that it was doing me more harm than good, so I quit.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:18 pm

I am so sorry for your loss :(

I am happy that you were able to stick to NoS though. Food does help elevate levels of seratonin, a feel-good chemical in our brains, so at least we understand why we crave foods... exercise will also do the same for us, a much better alternative (as learned from the book Calm Energy).

((((hugs))))
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm also sorry for your loss :(. When I'm really upset I like exercising then relaxing. Or indulging in my hobbies or writing. Binging only ever makes it worse. I'm sorry again ...
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille