Finally Having a Hard Time

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RJLupin

Finally Having a Hard Time

Post by RJLupin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:34 pm

The first six weeks of No S whizzed by, and I never had an issue sticking with it. This week, though, I'm starting to. I had a really bad allergic reaction on Friday that ended up with a trip to the hospital for a steroid shot. I wasn't sure what caused it until today, when I took my pain medicine (for my chronic pain) and the itching and rash returned. Somehow I've developed an allergy to a medicine I have taken for YEARS. I suspected that might be the case on Friday, so I switched to something different until today, when I tried the old standby again and the reaction returned. I called the doctor, and they can give me something else, but I am upset because nothing worked as well as this one drug did.

On Friday I had a milkshake after getting home from the hospital, because I figured that probably counted as an S(sick) day. Today, though I haven't cheated or gone off No S, I have definitely been tempted to. I am medicated on steroids and Benadryl and just feel like sitting in bed and eating everything. Fortunately I don't keep any junk food in the house. I hope I get better soon so I can get my motivation back. I will NOT cheat or go off plan, but it would be a lot easier if I were feeling better.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:37 pm

I don't know if this is something that's been proven in the medical community, but my own personal experience with steroids (I had to take them after having mono for many months) was that I was starving ALL the time. I lost about 10 pounds while I was sick because I just wasn't hungry, but taking those steroids and eating massive amounts of food helped me gain it all back in just a few weeks.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm sorry that you're having such a tough time, RJLupin. I hope that they are able to get your medication sorted out, and that things get easier soon.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:14 pm

marygrace wrote:I don't know if this is something that's been proven in the medical community, but my own personal experience with steroids (I had to take them after having mono for many months) was that I was starving ALL the time. I lost about 10 pounds while I was sick because I just wasn't hungry, but taking those steroids and eating massive amounts of food helped me gain it all back in just a few weeks.
That explains a lot, I didn't even think about that. Last time I was on them, I gained about 10 pounds in two weeks because I was so ravenous. I am sure they have something to do with what is happening to me, because I felt ok until I started. Now, I am just starving.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 pm

That's tough, RJLupin.

Hopefully if it's the steroid your appetite will calm down soon.

If you need an extra motivational boost, just consider what a great workout you're giving your habit muscle by holding out now under these difficult circumstances. You may be lying in bed, but your willpower is getting some serious exercise. When you're up and about again, No-s is going to see like the easiest thing in the world.

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:35 pm

You don't have to be sick to be wobbling. I took a couple of declared S days and it seems hard to keep clean N days when I don't have 5 of them in a row. However, I've only got an hour and a half until dinner, so i think I'll make it today. I just hope I go back soon to not have to put up with these urges again. I knew they weren't gone for good, but it doesn't stop me from wanting them to be. Holding on when they're strong is probably the best way to bust 'em.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

groovy1

Steroids can definitely make you hungrier!

Post by groovy1 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:03 am

I am a veterinarian, and have known for years about both exogenous steroids, meaning steroid-containing drugs you are given, and endogenous steroids, meaning excess steroids produced by a dysfunction in the body, causing an increase in the appetite of both animals and people. Still I had never experienced it myself until I was trying to work one day when I had bronchitis and severe asthma. The doctor sent me back to work with antibiotics and 2 inhalers, and had me using the steroid-containing inhaler multiple times that day. I was pretty darn sick with a fever, etc, but had to work because my employer had needed the day off and I was the only vet there that day. Well, after inhaling the steroid, I felt like I could leap tall buildings with a single bound, sped through a great afternoon, and was so starving I had to stop and get a hamburger at my favorite burger joint before I could even make it home! The next day I was off, which was a good thing because I was a wreck, and they switched me to a different inhaler with less absorption by the body and it never happened again. Still it was an unforgettable experience.

So - more power to you for making it through such a tough time. I am on a medication for a chronic illness that is notorious for causing weight gain and had to cope with a ravenous appetite for months, which has finally gone away, at least for the last week. One thing that has really helped me is to eat more fiber - specifically I am eating crackers with a lot of bran in them, and my favorite trick - homemade cole slaw using a very light dressing that is mostly Bragg's apple cider vinegar with a little yogurt and some soy sauce or, if available near you, one of the Walden Farms nocal dressings (I like the honey dijon for coleslaw.) You might see if adding more fiber helps--I add to special order the GG Bran Crispbread but you could see if your local health food store stocks it. The other great source of fiber I found are the Trader Joe's little bran muffins that have 12 and 13 (two kinds - apple cranberry and blueberry) grams of fiber each. I don't like them as much, but if there is a Trader Joe's near you, they are very filling. Hopefully the effects of the steroid will soon be gone and boy will no S-ing be easy after that!

Best wishes to you,
Sherry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:41 am

Trader Joe's also has a plain high fiber cereal. I mix it with Fiber One, which I do like because it stays crunchy in milk and don't because they use a fake sweetener to make it. It's a lot of fiber in one shot. I find it's hard to eat a lot of fiber if I'm trying to cut down on dense starches. I've read we should be aiming at 30-40 grams a day. Only 3-4 in an apple. Won't eat 10 apples a day. Even many whole grains don't have that much, maybe 3 grams for each 100 calories. Legumes have about twice as much, but I enjoy other carbs for variety.

I'm rambling. Hope you solve your problem soon.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Glad to hear it seems like the steroid-appetite connection is real. I remember taking my steroids and for a few days, eating an entire big bag of frozen chicken strips every day (aside from the fact that I'm a vegetarian now, I'd never touch those things as an adult...but I was only in 10th grade!). Please keep us posted on how you're doing, RJ!

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Still struggling with food cravings. I finally ended up making yesterday an "S" day since I was really unwell (though maybe that wasn't the best idea.) I am all done with the steroids so hopefully I will be on the mend soon.

I think, too, that maybe switching back to "real" soda instead of diet was a bad choice. Even before the steroids I have been having more cravings for sweets, and I wonder if it's not all the sugar. I am going to try and drink unsweetened black tea instead to see if it helps.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:44 pm

RJLupin wrote:Still struggling with food cravings. I finally ended up making yesterday an "S" day since I was really unwell (though maybe that wasn't the best idea.) I am all done with the steroids so hopefully I will be on the mend soon.

I think, too, that maybe switching back to "real" soda instead of diet was a bad choice. Even before the steroids I have been having more cravings for sweets, and I wonder if it's not all the sugar. I am going to try and drink unsweetened black tea instead to see if it helps.
I bet the real soda has something to do with it. I find the more sugar I consume, the more I want.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:06 am

marygrace wrote:
RJLupin wrote:Still struggling with food cravings. I finally ended up making yesterday an "S" day since I was really unwell (though maybe that wasn't the best idea.) I am all done with the steroids so hopefully I will be on the mend soon.

I bet the real soda has something to do with it. I find the more sugar I consume, the more I want.
I think there's something to that. It's like I can handle small amounts, but if I go above that I am in trouble. I wonder if maybe there really is something to the low-carb idea that one should limit sugar as much as possible. Clearly, if I have too much, it can set off horrible cravings.