Eggs for breakfast

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Eggs for breakfast

Post by Over43 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:13 am

I came across this link on Jimmy Moore's forum.

http://www.physorg.com/news189782584.html

I seem to also be less apt to eat more when I scramble 2-3 eggs in the morning.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 am

Naw, there's only one reason to eat eggs.

They're DELICIOUS. Saute some veggies, toss 'em in an omelet... Heaven.

I don't do it as often as I used to due to the time factor, but it's a favorite breakfast.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:41 am

I used to be an eggs over easy and bacon kind of girl. Breakfast wasn't breakfast if it didn't involve them. Now I don't eat bacon, and therefore stopped eggs for awhile, too.

Ever since I saw the movie Julia and Julia, I poach my eggs. They are so delicious and it's super easy. I have two ways to do it: 1) the traditional way of dropping the egg in boiling water with a touch of vinegar to keep it together or 2) egg poacher cups that makes a perfect little egg cake. I prefer the traditional method for taste, but I never lose any of the whites when I "cheat."

The great part is that I don't need butter and I don't need any cooking oils, either. When I can, I buy organic or cage-free. Poached egg on toast is so satisfying and wonderful.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:54 am

I use an egg poacher in the microwave because I've never been able to do it the traditional dropping eggs in water way ( ive tried everything too!). Only thing is it says on the instructions im supposed to pierce the yolks before microwaving them ( presumably to stop them exploding) but this obviously cooks the yolk bit and I like my yolks runny.

I love love love poached eggs when served in restaurants, i just wish there was an easy way to do them that way at home!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:55 am

If you like runny eggs, babyprrr, have you ever tried soft boiled eggs and toast soliders? You get a soft boiled egg, put it in an egg cup, slice off the top, add some salt and pepper, then dip toast strips in the runny yolk. Technically, you're supposed to butter the toast for the true English experience, but I generally don't.

NOM NOM NOM. In fact, I'm inspired to have exactly that for breakfast today.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:12 pm

babyprrr wrote:I use an egg poacher in the microwave because I've never been able to do it the traditional dropping eggs in water way ( ive tried everything too!). Only thing is it says on the instructions im supposed to pierce the yolks before microwaving them ( presumably to stop them exploding) but this obviously cooks the yolk bit and I like my yolks runny.

I love love love poached eggs when served in restaurants, i just wish there was an easy way to do them that way at home!
I was never able to poach an egg to my satisfaction until I read Mark Bittman's instructions in How to Cook Everything. I do have to glance at it every time I want to poach an egg, but it's worked every time for me. I don't bother "trimming" them to make them pretty, though.

Over43 -- I'm not sure if we all feel that we will eat less if we have eggs for breakfast, but I think egg consumption among No-Ser's is going increase!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:34 pm

I've seen numerous things that say people who eat eggs for breakfast report feeling fuller for longer. So if you're getting hungry at 10am and are tempted to snack before lunch, eggs might be a good choice. Plus, like the others said, they're deliciousssss. Especially scrambled with a little bit of cream!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:06 pm

We have an older cat who has always been a picky eater with a sensitive tummy. I don't remember how this started, but within the last year we discovered that she loves scrambled eggs -- and they don't upset her tummy. Every morning she gets an egg scrambled in butter with milk or cream (even heavy cream on occasion). Once she hears me up and about she comes and sits by her dish until I scramble her egg.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks for the info Over43 :D
It's good to have intelligent default foods that are helpful in not being hungry later throughout the day, and losing weight. I'm just getting into making hard boiled eggs so they are ready to go in the fridge.. eating some egg salad on an english muffin now, made out of one egg and one tsp of mayo, with a tiny bit of olive oil on the muffin.
Hope you're well!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:21 pm

wosnes wrote:We have an older cat who has always been a picky eater with a sensitive tummy. I don't remember how this started, but within the last year we discovered that she loves scrambled eggs -- and they don't upset her tummy. Every morning she gets an egg scrambled in butter with milk or cream (even heavy cream on occasion). Once she hears me up and about she comes and sits by her dish until I scramble her egg.
What a lucky cat =) I wish someone made me scrambled eggs every morning!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:23 pm

marygrace wrote:
wosnes wrote:We have an older cat who has always been a picky eater with a sensitive tummy. I don't remember how this started, but within the last year we discovered that she loves scrambled eggs -- and they don't upset her tummy. Every morning she gets an egg scrambled in butter with milk or cream (even heavy cream on occasion). Once she hears me up and about she comes and sits by her dish until I scramble her egg.
What a lucky cat =) I wish someone made me scrambled eggs every morning!
The funny thing is that I've never been able to make a decent omelet and I've accidentally figured out how to do that. It might not be the correct "chef's" way to do it, but it works for me!

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 04, 2010 4:44 pm

I hate the smell of eggs, but I force myself to eat them.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue May 04, 2010 5:28 pm

leafy_greens wrote:I hate the smell of eggs, but I force myself to eat them.
Why?? There are other equally nutritious things you could be eating.

Fix food you LIKE. It will make long-term sustainability easier.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Trust me, I'd much rather be eating a chocolate chip scone, but No S is structure, and eggs are part of my structure, even though I hate them. Things that I like more than eggs, like cereal and fruit, are not easy to fill up on, or are too easy to over-do it on. So I typically combine cereal and/or fruit with eggs. Also, eggs are easy to find and fix. When I have to get breafast out, it's my default to get an egg white muffin from Dunkin Donuts, rather than a donut.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue May 04, 2010 6:58 pm

I agree with KCCC.

If you are really keen to eat eggs, though, have you tried top quality ones? Organic eggs from free range, grain-fed hens taste very much better than battery eggs from hens fed on fish meal.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 pm

leafy_greens wrote:Trust me, I'd much rather be eating a chocolate chip scone, but No S is structure, and eggs are part of my structure, even though I hate them. Things that I like more than eggs, like cereal and fruit, are not easy to fill up on, or are too easy to over-do it on. So I typically combine cereal and/or fruit with eggs. Also, eggs are easy to find and fix. When I have to get breafast out, it's my default to get an egg white muffin from Dunkin Donuts, rather than a donut.
Mmmm... I still think that it would be worthwhile to find alternatives that you LIKE. Creating a binary choice between "break the structure" or "eat foods I hate" just looks like a recipe for failure to me.

I eat oatmeal with milk and a small portion of protein, and that holds me, and is fast. When I was in school, I often ate foods that most people wouldn't think of as "breakfast food." (Like chili. Really.)

So... what ELSE could you eat that would satisfy whatever criteria you have? (I think I'm seeing ease-of-access, and perhaps protein... but only you can define what matters. I'm just advocating that "not detestable" is an important criteria too.)

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 04, 2010 8:32 pm

KCCC wrote:So... what ELSE could you eat that would satisfy whatever criteria you have? (I think I'm seeing ease-of-access, and perhaps protein... but only you can define what matters. I'm just advocating that "not detestable" is an important criteria too.)
Everything I "like" is too easy to go overboard with. So I have some cereal or pb toast, supplemented with eggs.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue May 04, 2010 8:45 pm

I can't think of a surer way to fail than to eat something you hate every day. Leftover dinner would be a better option or soup or a sandwich.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 04, 2010 8:55 pm

No S is about building structure and new habits through repeated conditioning. Eating eggs is not going to cause me to fail at anything. Eating stuff I like (chocolate) obviously didn't work, and that's how I got into this mess.