6 weeks in and 3 lbs down

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

paulawylma

6 weeks in and 3 lbs down

Post by paulawylma » Fri May 28, 2010 10:40 am

I stated to post this on the Vanilla-May post and decided it should have it's own link, since so many people are concered about not losing weight.

I was getting uneasy about what I though was a plateau until I took a closer look at my calendar. I re-started No S 6 weeks ago and I have lost 3 lbs! Okay, 1/2 a lb a week doesn't sound like much and with frequent weigh-ins, it wasn't even noticable (maybe I should start weighing in less). But as part of getting the habits down and really stuck to Vanilla NO S--no extra rules or modifications (only intelligent defaults for nutrition). And yes, I've acted like an idiot and piled up my plate on occassion--and that what's made it possible. The "don't be an idiot" rule is for after the habits are established. Reading this board, I really thing the two biggest problems people have are (1) adding extra rules and trying to be "good). (2) playing around with definitions, esp the no sweet rule--thinking artifical sweeteners are OK and high sugar "healthy" cereals and "energy bars" aren't really sweets because they are good for you.

Truth-in-advertising: I hate diet sodas anyway, so they are not a temptation for me and I gave up full-sugar pop last fall, so getting back on No S was easier this time. I really thing we need to follow our taste buds as the rule for what it is a sweet. My taste buds are why I don't eat energy bars, granola bars, Quakers oatmeal breakfast bars or any similar stuff anymore. I used to think (based on what other diets said) that these were healthy, but my taste buds say that they are sweets. I find that if I listen to my taste buds, they won't steer me wrong. Even though there is a learning curve for the taste buds that have been numbed by decades of sweets, they can recover.

This all started because I was wondering about June. My original plan was to do no S until vacation the third week of June and try natural eating during vacation (camping so I always lose weight no matter what). Before I looked at the calendar, I thought I was on a plateau and was going to give No S up. Now that I know it is working, I am going to stick with the original plan. Except that I have to relearn how much to eat at meals. I've been feeling really stuffed about a half and hour or so after meals for the last week. So it's not taking as much to fill me up as it used to.

To establish the habits, I've been making sure my 9 inch plate was full. So I have a question: Should I (1) stop filling the plates and run the risk of getting hungry and ruining my habits (2) Start using smaller plates (the ones I grew up with) and have the same risk of between meal hunger or (3) Keep the same plates and keep filling them up but try to learn when I am full.

No S have taught me two and a half parts of natural eating: (1) eating what you want (2) eating when hungry (with only 3 meals I usually get hungry before meals--which of course is normal. ) and (3) eating consciously--at least as far as sweets are concerned, that's why it's a half :) . It seems to me that I need to learn when I become full and not stuffed. Much to my surprise that full feeling I've been getting is really uncomfortable, where in the past it would have been pleasant.

Any thoughts on which option I should follow? Thanks.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri May 28, 2010 11:15 am

To establish the habits, I've been making sure my 9 inch plate was full. So I have a question: Should I (1) stop filling the plates and run the risk of getting hungry and ruining my habits (2) Start using smaller plates (the ones I grew up with) and have the same risk of between meal hunger or (3) Keep the same plates and keep filling them up but try to learn when I am full.
Congrats on losing the 3 lbs!

Many No Sers find that their body needs less over time. You could experiment with eating a little less, using any of the methods you detailed above, and see how it goes. Eventually you'll probably be able to eyeball how much is enough for you. If you have hunger issues then increase your portion size a little the next time.

(Personally, I use a 6 inch plate for breakfast, lunch varies depending on what I'm eating, and dinner is typically served on a 9 inch plate but I'm pretty short and find that eating less during my first two meals works well for me.)
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:45 am

You don't HAVE to cover your plate with food. Reinhard implied in his book that we are supposed to learn from the experience meal after meal of the relationship between what the meals look like and how much food we really need. You don't have to use even smaller plates. Just start slightly reduce your portions and see how you feel. Keep doing that until you find the magic ratio of food and open plate areas. Even then, you may feel differently on different days. Over time, you learn what is true need and what is mirage. Go with it. (I don't know what plates you grew up with. I'm a 5'6" woman and a 9-inch dinner plate is about as small as I can go and still feel like an adult. But one person's ceiling is another person's floor.)

Alternately, change the ratio of what you eat. Reinhard also said that when the three plates each day are going to be it, it [should] make you more aware that you need to get in what you know you should be eating as well as what you "want." So you may not start out with lots of vegetables and fruit, but you may move towards them. The same volume of raw green peppers or even cooked green beans is going to have a lot fewer calories than the same size piece of steak and fill a different need. This is usually my tactic. I find that I don't want a whole plate of lasagna, though I love the taste and feel of it. But when I think of my whole meal, I want more variety, especially of textures.

I suggest, too, that getting hungry will not necessarily ruin your habits. In fact, being able to experience hunger without its being followed by compulsive overeating is one of the essential lessons to be learned on No S. Knowing you'll get a plate of delicious food eventually can make it tolerable, and eventually, even pleasurable. Really! Some days I enjoy going 7 hours before dinner!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 28, 2010 1:40 pm

Okay, 1/2 a lb a week doesn't sound like much
It actually sounds ideal -- this is precisely the number like to quote (from Brian Wansink) that people should expect from long term weight loss.
I have to relearn how much to eat at meals. I've been feeling really stuffed about a half and hour or so after meals for the last week.
That feeling, over time, will probably be all the learning you need. I'd be careful about rushing in with extra rules. Your body is learning. Give it time. This is clearly working for you. Yes, it's slow, but that's as it should be.
My original plan was to do no S until vacation the third week of June and try natural eating during vacation (camping so I always lose weight no matter what)
Not quite sure what you mean by "natural eating" -- meal based eating is about as natural as it gets. You mean dispensing with rules? I'd actually argue that rules of some kind, whether dictated by tradition or simple scarcity were the norm and rule-less eating is novel and weird.

But on a practical level, if you want, you can go rule-less little picture within the framework of no-s. Just treat your camping trip as vacation. Lots of ideas on how to handle vacation here and here. Speaking of which, off to the Berkshires!

Reinhard

paulawylma

Thanks for the advice

Post by paulawylma » Sat May 29, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. Reinhardt, when I mentioned natural eating I was thinking about the program started by Bob . . darn can't remember his name. . anyway it's where Paul McKenna and the lady that wrote that book in the 80s got there plans from. Anyway, new information, originally our group that camps together wasn't going to be as full because people weren't coming this year, but suddenly everyone posted that they were coming anyway--so we are going to be cooking as a group again. So No S will work fine, except I will take the entire week as exempt, so I can keep desert open as an option (not to mention those flavored ice things that taste so good in 90 plus heat). When we cook as a group, people take turns cooking a meal for everyone, Breakfast and Supper to be eaten together. Lunch and any snacks are up to the individual camper. So, I can keep to the No S pattern and practice the "sometimes" part of No S. Dessert is actually only served once or twice during the week and the timing depends mostly on the weather. thanks for all the advice.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Your vacation plan sounds fun and moderate. Perfect for life.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)