What have you given up

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

paulawylma

What have you given up

Post by paulawylma » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:10 am

Yesterday while I was packing my lunch (salad and tuna fish) I was thinking that crackers would be nice--but I only had saltines and they were old! The reason: when I stopped snacking I stopped buying snack foods. So, I gave up snack foods like snack crackers ( Ritz, Wheat Thins, etc), Luna Bars and other "food" bars (most of them are sweets anyway) slim jims and jerky, and nuts. I still have nuts because I stocked up last fall when I decided (foolishly it turned out) to try a faster diet (I ended up gaining over 10 lbs). I do use nuts sometimes on salads but to me they are mainly a snack food or a garnish for sweets.

I've obviously saved money on groceries since I am buying more real food. :-). What have you guys given up because they are snack foods and not meal foods?

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Slim Fast Peanut Butter Granola Bars! I used to eat those things all the time, but I haven't had one since I started No S.

I've noticed my decreased grocery bill too, and I think part of it is because I no longer buy much prepared food, whether it comes from the deli or the frozen section. I think I waste less food too, because I plan my meals and shop accordingly.

No S - lose weight and save money at the same time!

OT

Post by OT » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Cereal bars. I actually can't believe they are marketed as being healthy when they are laden with sugar and salt. I used to especially love Special K bars-only 99 calories,so you can eat 3 of them instead of a chocolate bar and feel virtuous! What a joke.

paprad

Post by paprad » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Nuts -- I used to have a handfull with my evening coffee. And for the first week I quite missed them - but now I've gotten used to not having this.

To some degree, fruit - well, I try to eat as part of the plate - but earlier I had fruit as snacks all the time - and so, the sheer quantity and variety of fruit consumed has come down.

On the flip side I find I am having more chips! I know, I know, high on calories, but earlier I would stay completely away from them even when the family was having it during lunch or dinner, but once I started NoS and told myself, eat whatever's on the plate, I couldn't resist adding them - they didn't seem so taboo. But that's only once a week, and mostly on S days, so am consoling myself I am still on NoS
getting there

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:33 am

Definitely snack foods (crackers, granola bars, etc...), diet soda (thank goodness!), creamer in my coffee, pretty much all frozen meals, except for on days when I'm extra rushed, and I don't have time to eat an actual meal.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 am

What have I given up because they're snack foods and not meal foods? Honestly, I can't think of a thing.

Crackers have always been either a meal food or a snack food -- now they're just a meal food. The same goes for chip and I try to buy the smallest size possible. I have saltines around all the time (to be consumed with my soup at lunch). I don't always have Wheat Thins or other crackers. Nuts have never been much of a snack food for me. I use them in sweets sometimes, but also on salads and other vegetable dishes or stir-fries. I've never regularly had Slim-Jims or the various bars. I've never kept ice cream around except for special occasions. I ate more ice cream when I was taking regular S days than I ever have before!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:43 pm

I think that many of us both drop some foods and also ADD some (previously "forbidden" foods in reasonable quantities).

For me, the biggest "give up" hasn't been food, it's been over-stressing about my weight. When I found No-S, I was in a cycle of losing through strict dieting, reaching goal, starting to re-gain, and panicking!! Not pleasant. With No-S, I maintain much better, and even when I need to adjust, the panic is gone. I can see what I'm doing, make little changes, and be fine.

The "add" has been enjoyment of food, which I never used to allow myself. Even when I ate "treats", the guilt interfered with true enjoyment.

There are junky foods that I no longer eat, but not so much because of intention... My tastes have changed, and a lot of things simply don't appeal any longer because they are just too "fake." If I'm going to get a treat, it needs to be a REAL treat, which lets out most of the pre-packaged crap. (I bake now - which I didn't before.)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:41 pm

KCCC -- I agree. One of the foods that I now use regularly that I didn't before is butter! Butter makes food taste better. But like you say, that doesn't have so much to do with No-S as it does with changing habits and beliefs regarding food and food preparation.

I've been baking bread regularly lately. Part of this is economics -- a bag of flour will give me at least six loaves of bread for less than the cost of one loaf of good quality bread at the grocery or bakery. Part of this is taste and quality. It is so good! I've been eating the bread with a little butter -- less than a teaspoon. It's a "treat" I can have 3x daily if I like.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:47 pm

Wosnes, Good point about the crackers. Sometimes, I crave them, so maybe I'll add them back in as part of a meal from time to time. I eat chips sometimes, and crackers really aren't much different than chips.
Great idea about the bread! Bread really is expensive. I may start baking my own bread soon, too.
KCC, I love your insights about not worrying about your weight. I'm not there yet, but my goal is to get to where I accept my body's natural weight and not worry about it.

Cata

What I have given up

Post by Cata » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:00 am

I have given up cruising through fast food windows just because I am a little hungry and want t little snack. I have given up undisciplined mindless eating. I have given up seconds and realize that I am not going to starve before the next meal.
The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook. ~Julia Child

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:59 am

clarinetgal wrote:I eat chips sometimes, and crackers really aren't much different than chips.
If you look at the ingredients list on regular chips -- not baked or low-fat -- chips may be healthier than crackers. Well, at least potato chips. The ingredients are only potatoes, fat and salt. No chemicals.
Last edited by wosnes on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:20 pm

I have actually given up quite a few things, but I'm happy about every single one. The list includes: diet soda, cereal/granola bars, diary products (I'm lactose intolerant and should have done this a long time ago), cookies, TV dinners, and McDonalds.

Unfortunately, my grocery bill has actually increased! I think the reason is that now I'm more concerned about the quality of the food I buy. Organic eggs are almost 4x more than non-organic. Grass fed beef is more expensive too (maybe 2x). I'm also trying to buy organic versions of the foods on the "dirty dozen." I view it as an investment in my health so I feel like spending a little more is worth it.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

satikat

wheeeee!

Post by satikat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:02 pm

I gave up dividing my shopping cart into "snack" and "meal" sections.

I gave up the idea that a sandwich will kill me and completely ruin my weight.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm

I (kind of) gave up bagels. They used to be my guilt inducing foods at home. I just gobbled them up like there was no tomorrow during random trips to the kitchen (I work from home so there was always an excuse to go to the kitchen). I say I 'kind of' gave them up because I still have a bagel for breakfast now & again.

The other thing which I have almost completely given up is starbucks sugary snacks and good riddance (eg muffins which used to be an almost daily occurence with latte). This has been a big change actually.
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 pm

The feeling that I was constantly starving and on the edge of bingeing -- that's what I've given up!
Kathleen

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 am

wosnes wrote:
clarinetgal wrote:I eat chips sometimes, and crackers really aren't much different than chips.
If you look at the ingredients list on regular chips -- not baked or low-fat -- chips may be healthier than crackers. Well, at least potato chips. The ingredients are only potatoes, fat and salt. No chemicals.
Wosnes, I didn't realize that. Next time I go grocery shopping, I'll read the ingredients list on some boxes of crackers, because now I'm curious. :) I just really like to have something crunchy with my lunch and/or dinner, which is why I prefer things like chips, apples, carrot sticks, etc...

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:59 am

I noticed that I've added foods - like homemade bread. I'm having a piece of home-baked whole wheat bread with my breakfast every morning - I NEVER would have done that in the past! "Too many carbs"

I do find that we seem to have a longer 'box life' of things like chips, crackers, 'pick up foods'. Clearly SOMEONE isn't eating them as much! :wink:
~Scrybil~

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:33 am

clarinetgal wrote:
wosnes wrote:
Wosnes, I didn't realize that. Next time I go grocery shopping, I'll read the ingredients list on some boxes of crackers, because now I'm curious. :) I just really like to have something crunchy with my lunch and/or dinner, which is why I prefer things like chips, apples, carrot sticks, etc...
Of course, that's plain potato chips, nothing flavored.

Crackers are pretty disgusting, too. Here's the ingredients list from Nabisco Saltines: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID), SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, BAKING SODA, VEGETABLE MONOGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER).

I couldn't find the ingredients for Wheat Thins, Triscuit or Ritz Crackers, but I know they're "worse" than Saltines.

Maybe we should just make crackers.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:45 am

Ewww! My two year old son loves Ritz crackers with peanut butter, and I'm working VERY hard to wean him off of the Ritz crackers (not the peanut butter, though!), because I don't want him eating all of that crud.

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 pm

I've have a couple of recipes for crackers. I've never tried it though. When I'm flipping through my bread book trying to decide what to make on the weekend, I always get seduced by the beautiful pictures of breads and never end up making crackers!
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

shandy

Post by shandy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:20 pm

I gave up sugar in my tea. I've noticed quite a difference in that I can make it between meals with just a cup of tea, before I would have a cup of tea with sugar and then and hour later be all shaky and craving a snack. So there seems to be a connection with the sugar and needing to snack.

To clarinetgal...I put peanut butter on apple slices for my youngest. She loves it like this and will not eat peanut butter any other way cause she doesn't like the peanut butter being all 'sticky' (on the roof of her mouth) - but on apple slices with them being juicey works very well.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:05 pm

I too have a stockpile of nuts and diet bars that are just sitting there. I really want to throw them away but think "one day I'll get around to them."

I added crackers though, due to the suggestion of someone on here who was eating crackers and cheese with their lunch (can't remember who it was - Wosnes?) It really adds something substantial to my lunch without making me feel gross. I get the stone ground crackers and cracker barrell cheese. It adds a feel of "high class" like I'm eating something from a reception, but combined with my main course doesn't feel "snacky."

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:02 pm

I've given up picking at food while I'm cooking or making packed lunches. No nibbling cheese, veggies or any other ingredients which look appetising. I thought I would find this difficult to do, but I got used to it quite quickly - and I'm a lot hungrier for my meal.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm

I have given up eating chocolate every single night after dinner. I found that I was rushing to get my kids to bed in order for me to have my ritual (be alone with my chocolate).
Now, of course, it's nice to get some alone time, but not with chocolate.
I've also given up Pure Protein bars. I was eating them every single morning between lunch/breakfast. At one point, I noticed my body craving them whether I was hungry or not. I trained my body to need them, I guess.
I've stopped measuring/weighing food. That is such a relief and so much less time-consuming.
Best of all, I've stopped eating healthy food because I SHOULD. I naturally like healthy stuff, but not all of it. For instance, I'm realizing I DON'T like Greek Yogurt or rice cakes, but was eating them because I should.
Now I'd rather have less of something "non-healthy", be it crackers/chips with my meal and enjoy.
Being that I'm not really looking to lose weight, and I exercise a fair amount, my plates are still pretty huge (new to this) and I do include things like chips or crackers sometimes. It helps me not to crave them.
Liz

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:24 am

Shandy, I'll have to try the peanut butter on apple slices. Thanks! :)

Cata

Post by Cata » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 pm

idon'tknow wrote:I've given up picking at food while I'm cooking or making packed lunches. No nibbling cheese, veggies or any other ingredients which look appetising. I thought I would find this difficult to do, but I got used to it quite quickly - and I'm a lot hungrier for my meal.

Picking at food while cooking was a big one for me too! I would pick so much that I wouldn't really be hungry when it was time to eat, but ate anyway in order to keep hubbie company. And then sometimes have seconds, which was really thirds. Takes some discipline though.
The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook. ~Julia Child

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:18 am

It's hard to give a precise list.
I cut down a lot on :

Diet Soda
Fruit Juices (I buy fresh fruits instead)
Crackers
Muffins & other pastries
Chips
Chocolate (except for dark chocolate once in a long while)
Candy
Any fast food meals
Processed Cheese slices, you know those Kraft Singles
Deli meats
Cream
Frozen french fries
Hot dogs
Bacon
Cereals (I usually prefer oatmeal now)
Pickles
Cheese, I'm careful with it.
Brown sugar
Sugar
Molasses
Pretzels

Ketchup & Mayonnaise, almost entirely banned : I eat mustard more often instead.

Margarine, mostly banned. I use oil instead, better for you. Olive oil. but be careful cos' there's a lot of calories so I measure precisely.

Salted pop corn, I have plain air popped pop corn now.

Cookies. I have some from time to time but I buy plain ones so they are not too tempting)

Ice cream, I would like to ban ice cream completely.

Bagels were banned cos' I couldn't resist 'em. ;-)

I'm sure there are many others but that's it for now. I eat less of what used to make me be a "FAT BOY", that's for sure. I eat more of the things that are better for me, filling me up, giving me good long term energy instead of a quick sugar rush.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 193 Pounds