Mediterranean diet advocate dead at 71

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TunaFishKid

Mediterranean diet advocate dead at 71

Post by TunaFishKid » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:14 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04311.html

Takeaway quote: I suppose the real lesson here is to continuing to eat as healthful a diet as you can and to savor every mouthful, because you never know if it might be your last.
The death of K. Dun Gifford, Mediterranean diet advocate
By Jennifer LaRue Huget
Thursday, June 10, 2010; PG11

If things worked the way we thought they should, K. Dun Gifford would still be alive.

Gifford, a longtime advocate of healthful eating and particularly of the Mediterranean diet, died on May 9 at age 71. The cause was reported as a heart attack. (More on that in a moment.)

We never like to hear of someone's death, especially someone as full of life as Gifford was. (I interviewed the founder of the Boston-based "food think tank" Oldways in December 2008 for a column about preparing a Mediterranean-style holiday feast.) But Gifford's death is unsettling on another level. The olive oil- and veggie-filled Mediterranean diet is supposed to help ward off Alzheimer's disease, colon cancer and, yes, heart disease. If a man who adhered to the diet considered by many experts to be the most healthful succumbs before he hits 75, how much stock can we put in it?

Linda Van Horn, professor of preventive medicine at Northwestern University and chairman of the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans Advisory Committee, says Gifford's death is no reason to lose faith.

"There is no question that a Mediterranean-type diet, when consumed under energy-balanced conditions, offers a vast array of essential nutrients that can help meet the requirements of most healthy people," she told me via e-mail. "The emphasis on plant-based foods, unsaturated fats, fish and fiber-rich grains will achieve nutrient adequacy for most people."

Van Horn points out that no diet alone can guarantee good health. "Diet is a major influence on health, but not the only influence," she writes She cites behaviors such as exercise and stress, as well as effects from the environment and genetics as factors that affect a person's longevity.

By one measure, Gifford's death wasn't all that premature. According to federal life-expectancy tables, a white man born in 1938, as Gifford was, can expect to live to 63.

But most of us want to live far longer than 71 years. And many of us are counting on our diets to help get us there.

One of the trickiest issues to resolve when choosing such a diet is whether to partake of alcohol. We've all heard that moderate alcohol consumption can reduce risk of cardiovascular disease, and the Mediterranean diet promotes moderate drinking, specifically of wine, with meals, in part because it's good for your heart.

That's backed up by science. Kenneth Mukamal, associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and author of a recent article on alcohol and health in the Journal of the American Medical Association, notes numerous studies have shown that "regular consumption of small amounts of alcohol is beneficial" and that, "on average, countries that have higher proportions of people drinking moderately tend to have lower rates of heart attack."

Yet that's not how things worked out for Dun Gifford.

I spoke with Sara Baer-Sinnott, Gifford's partner and, since his death, president of Oldways, in hopes that she could offer some perspective. She explained that Gifford's heart attack most likely was due to a blood clot. He'd had a lot of those, she said, since having leg surgery decades ago. He had confessed to forgetting to pack his special anti-clot socks when the couple traveled to Europe and Australia just before he died, she said. (Long airplane flights increase the risk of blood clots forming.) She'll never know for sure, as no autopsy was conducted.

Baer-Sinnott does allow that Gifford, at 6-foot-4 and about 230 pounds, "had a little extra around his waist." "He did love food," she says with a laugh.

Naturally, she doesn't think people should discount the Mediterranean diet because of Gifford's death. "There are people whose time comes sooner than it should," she says.

Van Horn agrees. "The Mediterranean diet is rich in nutrients, fish, fiber and flavor that offer benefits that transcend cardiovascular disease, to also help lower risk for diabetes, certain types of cancer and hypertension, as long as weight gain is avoided and other lifestyle behaviors such as physical activity are also included," she writes.

Mukamal notes that Gifford's father, Clarence, a renowned wine expert, lived to age 91. In any case, Mukamal says, "it's a bad idea to make policy based on anecdote."

I suppose the real lesson here is to continuing to eat as healthful a diet as you can and to savor every mouthful, because you never know if it might be your last.

Post a Comment
~ Laura ~

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:39 am

Just because he was an advocate doesn't mean he actually followed it all the time. And overeating is not officially part of it. Who knows, maybe he had some predisposition that his father didn't have. It's possible the diet extended his life, but we will never know. It won't make me give up on olive oil and the rest of the foods of the Mediterranean. But it is going to convince some people, probably the ones who need it most, to give up on it before they even try, I bet. Oh, well. I bet he did enjoy himself and lived healthfully otherwise. I'd take that.

Unlike the author of the article, I'm more attached to the idea of a healthy life than a particularly long one. Remember the Greek story of Tithonus, who was granted immortality, but not youth. He was old and infirm a long, long time. I guess he still is, somewhere!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:50 pm

What a ridiculous, hateful, mean-spirited article that was. NO diet, and I mean no diet, is a magic charm that can prevent death. What one has to look at are trends; people who eat a Mediterranean diet are LESS likely to suffer heart disease, and on the whole tend to live longer and health.er than those who don't. It doesn't mean that it will ward of disease in every person who follows it, or that the death of one man means the diet is a failure. It just goes to show you how ignorant people can completely misinterpret a situation and use idiotic insinuation to distort facts. I don't know what the bozo who wrote this article wants people to do. I guess give up and stuff their faces because hey, look, this one guy died at 71! That must prove that healthy eating is a failure.

Sad and pathetic.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:17 pm

The inference that because "this one person died, the diet is not valid" demonstrates a lack of understanding of statistics.

Statistics do NOT predict individual behavior, only the behavior of a POPULATION - that is, the group as a whole. Statistically, the Mediterranean Diet does result in longer life. That doesn't mean that any ONE individual will live longer - too many other factors in play.

And... we don't know what "longer" is for any one person. This reminds me of the hoopla when a major running advocate dropped dead in his fifties some years ago. Turned out he had a genetic heart condition, and his father died of it in his 30's. His running probably got him those extra 20 years...even if not "long" by most standards.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Yeah, Jim Fixx was his name. A lot of people stayed on the couch after he died.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:53 pm

I spoke with Sara Baer-Sinnott, Gifford's partner and, since his death, president of Oldways, in hopes that she could offer some perspective. She explained that Gifford's heart attack most likely was due to a blood clot. He'd had a lot of those, she said, since having leg surgery decades ago. He had confessed to forgetting to pack his special anti-clot socks when the couple traveled to Europe and Australia just before he died, she said. (Long airplane flights increase the risk of blood clots forming.) She'll never know for sure, as no autopsy was conducted
Diet wouldn't have played a part in this, or possibly only a very small part. Other lifestyle factors may have played a larger part.

In addition, none of us are getting out of here alive. None of us.

He had an interesting life.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Although I'm not so into the "stuff" angle of diet, and I don't believe that any one region of the world has a monopoly on good traditional eating, this guy didn't advocate anything crazy and I'm sure his premature end wasn't brought on by traditional mediterranean cuisine. Yeah, it's a reminder that sensible eating isn't impervious armor against the inevitable, and yeah, he probably did eat a little too much of his beloved mediterranean food, but let's be wary of drawing conclusions.

A dear friend of ours recently passed away from heart trouble at 76 -- and she had lived the model of a healthy, active, good, generous life. She was as thin a bird, and riding her bike around Manhattan when it happened. She'd been so healthy that she'd only been hospitalized twice in her life before: when she was born and to give birth to her son. I can't extract a single lesson from what happened to her -- except to have some humility and realize that it can (and will) happen to everyone.

Reinhard

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 am

reinhard wrote:A dear friend of ours recently passed away from heart trouble at 76 -- and she had lived the model of a healthy, active, good, generous life. She was as thin a bird, and riding her bike around Manhattan when it happened. She'd been so healthy that she'd only been hospitalized twice in her life before: when she was born and to give birth to her son. I can't extract a single lesson from what happened to her -- except to have some humility and realize that it can (and will) happen to everyone.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Yes, none of us are immortal. Just doing the best to make the most of the time we've got.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:48 pm

KCCC wrote:The inference that because "this one person died, the diet is not valid" demonstrates a lack of understanding of statistics.

Statistics do NOT predict individual behavior, only the behavior of a POPULATION - that is, the group as a whole. Statistically, the Mediterranean Diet does result in longer life. That doesn't mean that any ONE individual will live longer - too many other factors in play.

And... we don't know what "longer" is for any one person. This reminds me of the hoopla when a major running advocate dropped dead in his fifties some years ago. Turned out he had a genetic heart condition, and his father died of it in his 30's. His running probably got him those extra 20 years...even if not "long" by most standards.
This is such a good point. People (at least in the media) don't seem to have any understanding (or care to understand) of statistics. Everyone wants a magic spell that can prevent death forever, but of course such a thing doesn't exist. So, they post ridiculous pieces like this one in an attempt to scare people into, one assumes, giving up trying. "This oncologist died of cancer! That must mean that chemotherapy is useless and no treatment works!" "One person is 10,000 has a bad reaction to this vaccine! Clearly it's dangerous and must be banned!" These are the kinds of articles one sees written, and the only thing sadder than the fact that someone was stupid enough to write them is the fact that there are plenty of people gullible enough to fall for it.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:23 pm

Well yes, sadly, lots of people rely on anecdotes to prove this or that point. Anecdotes mean nothing at all, rather, they obscure the picture of whatever it is someone is trying to prove.

Reinhard: sorry about the loss of your friend...
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo