weight gain over the weekend.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tobia48

Post by tobia48 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 pm

I've been on the no s diet for a week, and did very well, until Sunday. I ate an eclair, and an extra helping of pasta salad, in addition to my three one plate meals.
Got on the scales this morning, and had gained 1.5 lbs over the weekend. Is this normal? If it is, then I don't plan to cheat on the weekend. It's just not worth it.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 pm

The scale is often up for me by 1-2 pounds immediately following an S weekend. I think a lot of No Sers experience this. For me, it tends to be bloat due to excess sodium, etc (from eating out, eating more) and is gone quickly. I expect temporary the gain and it doesn't worry me. :wink:
A lot of folks avoid the scale for a couple days after an S weekend and that works well.

Eating a dessert and an extra helping on an S Day is not cheating on No S, btw. S Days are an enjoyable and important part of the No S journey.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Yes, definitely happens to me, pretty well a certainty so far. I am fairly new to No S, and I have noticed an evolution in my S day behaviour, my reactions to some things I rather went to town on initially are changing. I think I detect the beginning of spontaneous moderation - which is a relief.

I recently looked at my stats over the past 4 weeks (since I started combining intermittent fasting with No S) and see that I gain @ 1 1/2 lbs most weekends - but the overall trend is to lose about 1lb a week. Seems possible I could make faster progress if it weren't for those dratted S days - but I'm too fond of them to cut them out.

Thing is, if you are to harsh on yourself the risk of "failing" and giving up altogether increases. I waited over a month before trying to make any changes to standard No S - wiser to wait a while before making changes, see what the overall trend after a month looks like.

(and some people here will think I was way too hasty....)

tobia48

Sophiasapientia, and Graham

Post by tobia48 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:59 am

sophiasapientia wrote:The scale is often up for me by 1-2 pounds immediately following an S weekend. I think a lot of No Sers experience this. For me, it tends to be bloat due to excess sodium, etc (from eating out, eating more) and is gone quickly. I expect temporary the gain and it doesn't worry me. :wink:
A lot of folks avoid the scale for a couple days after an S weekend and that works well.

Eating a dessert and an extra helping on an S Day is not cheating on No S, btw. S Days are an enjoyable and important part of the No S journey.

Hey, thanks for your input. It helps to know that what I am experiencing is normal.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Gaining weight after the weekend has always frustrated me. Now it is the summer and I foresee icecream will be introduced into the weekend. I try to stay active on the weekend... going to a Saturday morning gym class or taking walks, swimming in the pool, etc.

In my early days of No S, I found that it was not worth it to eat a lot of sweets on the weekend (if any) because I was losing weight faster. I am at a different place now. I don't overdo my S's on the weekend, but I realize I can be up and down 2 lbs any day of the week. Plus I have a love/hate relationship with the scale. I am wearing clothes I did 20 lbs thinner, but the scale tells me I have 20 lbs heavier. So, although I choose to use it as a barometer... the flux of 1-2 lbs after a weekend is expected and will go away the next day probably.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain