How do you know if something is wrong with your scale?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

July2010

How do you know if something is wrong with your scale?

Post by July2010 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Ok I weighed myself and it said 186.6 I get on only 5 min later and it says 187.4 a couple times and so I try again and 188 a few times. I didn't drink anything or eat anything in these few minutes, so why is it not saying the same? I usually get on a few times just to make sure I get the same number and yet today no. I think I may need another scale.
AutismMom

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:02 pm

I've never seen a scale that didn't have this problem.

The big ones at the gym and doctor's offices are pretty good, but not, as I describe here, infallible:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/podcast/ ... .php?id=24

I'd say the solution is not to get a better scale, but to focus on behavior and habit rather than scale numbers. If an obviously lousy scale is what it takes to point you in that direction, it's the best scale money can buy.

Reinhard

July2010

Post by July2010 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks. You've helped put things in perspective for me this morning. I was just annoyed because I am doing so well on the diet and the scale is acting up. Wasn't sure which weight was correct, but I'm just to cancel it out for today. Overall my weight is coming down and that's what I need to focus on and not let the scale ruin my day or make me lose sight of the fact that I am still losing weight.
AutismMom

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Tanita is both accurate and consistent. Many successful maintainers use it. When I first got mine, I weighed, got off, weighed again, got off, and satisfied myself that it was accurate (knew docs numbers) and giving stable readings. It is also fast.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

Graham

Post by Graham » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:50 pm

If you feel you must measure something, get a tape measure and measure your waist. Your Waist-to-height ratio should ideally be below 50%. It is a more useful guide to health risks than weight or BMI.

My personal experience with a very good digital scale is that though normally very reliable, it once told me I had lost 3lb in the space of half an hour, only to tell me I had regained it later in the day. My waist measurement does occasionally fluctuate oddly, but I don't ever think the tape measure is to blame. Tape measures are so simple and so cheap, they are the way to go.

Having said all that, my own habit is to both weigh myself daily, and measure my waist daily - I just like to see the numbers - I even track the readings with a graph - harmless fun, I say.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:03 am

Sounds like you need a new scale. Mine is usually the same number but once in a while if I weigh twice in a row there's a minor difference, never more than 0.2 lb up or down though ... It's not a very expensive one, probably 25-30$ but I never had any issues with it, works really well.

Make sure the scale is on a flat surface, not on carpet ... to get a more accurate result too. ;-)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 191 Pounds

July2010

Post by July2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:52 am

Yeah I've owned this one for at least 2-3 years so it's probably time for a new one anyways. Searched amazon.com and have a highly rated one coming in. Made by eat smart. I won't have to even tap to turn it on. I will be able to just get on it! I hope it lasts a while!
AutismMom

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:29 am

Wait a moment - "owned this one for 2 to 3 years": have you tried checking the batteries? I suppose you already thought of that, but I thought I'd say as it's such a waste to buy a new scale without checking!

July2010

Post by July2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Hey, I hadn't thought of that! Didn't even realize it had batteries doh'. Sure enough I flipped it over! Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes. How long are scales supposed to last? Anyone know?
AutismMom

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm not real sure about this, but I think scales should last much longer than 2-3 years.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

July2010

Post by July2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:32 pm

The scale I have tends to give different weights depending on how you stand on it and so thats one of the reasons I usually stand on it a few times to get a correct weight. I wanted something better anyways. Something more accurate. I'm gonna pass this one down to a family member.
AutismMom

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 pm

July2010 wrote:The scale I have tends to give different weights depending on how you stand on it and so thats one of the reasons I usually stand on it a few times to get a correct weight. I wanted something better anyways. Something more accurate. I'm gonna pass this one down to a family member.
They all do that. I'm a nurse and weighed patients twice a day and found that to be true.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."