Birthday S days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DaveMc

Birthday S days

Post by DaveMc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 am

A year ago, I was about a month and a half in to doing NoS when my birthday came along -- on a Saturday. The injustice! It landed on a day that was *already* an S day, how unfair! I wrote a rather plaintive post to the forum asking if people thought I could grant myself an extra S day to compensate for the birthday-on-Saturday thing. The response, as I recall, was along the lines of "Of course you can do whatever you want. But no." [I didn't take an extra S day, but it felt like a hardship.]

What a difference a year makes ... My birthday just passed, this time on a Sunday. :) My reaction this time was completely different, however: I feel like, "Hey, I already get two S days *every week*, plus some sort of holiday or the like, about once a month. That's *plenty*." The fact that I won't get an extra S day out of my birthday until 2011 no longer seems like a terrible joke by a cruel universe -- I have all the S days I need!

And my birthday on Sunday was a fairly "gone wild" S day: we went to a buffet, and I ate considerable amounts of food. Though come to think of it, even that has changed: by "going wild", I now mean that I had *two* whole plates of food, plus a plate of dessert. That's no worse than what I would have done, a year and a half ago, on any non-special occasion.

ADDENDUM: I just checked back, and it turns out that this question about birthdays was in fact my *very first* post to this forum. Here's the thread, if anyone is interested:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=#66120

What amuses me is that near the bottom of that thread, I made the very same claim I'm making here, namely that I wasn't desperate for extra S days. I was lying. :) Or at least, stretching the truth: I wasn't so desperate that I gave into the temptation to take an extra day, but it certainly wasn't easy!

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Happy Birthday! As always, I got quite a kick out of both your posts; your posts make me laugh on a regular basis.

I find that my birthdays are usually celebrated on more than one day (work, friends and family), and I feel free to take an S day for any of those celebratory days not falling on a Saturday or Sunday. I don't take a lot of NWS days, and I don't worry about S days in the first place, so I don't think it's a big deal. Aren't you glad I wasn't posting a year ago? I would have given the OK to take an S day, and you would have missed the satisfaction of passing it up!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Happy Birthday, Dave!

I always enjoy your posts a great deal - glad you've become part of this "tough crowd." :)

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Many happy returns!
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Tiggycat

Post by Tiggycat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:09 pm

I'm new to No S and after reading this I just actually checked my calendar to be sure my birthday, anniversary, etc. weren't on Saturday or Sunday - they aren't, whew!

I'm worried I'll be one of the 'cousin's hamster's birthday' kind of followers, so I've decided I'll only allow two S days a month besides Saturdays and Sundays, and if I 'need' more than two in a month I'll 'trade' a weekend day for the extra one(s).