Slip-Sliding Away!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jammin' Jan

Slip-Sliding Away!

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 am

And slip-sliding away is exactly what I have been doing. So, I need to come back here.

No-S is for No Slacking!

To this end, I have put the No S book on both my Kindle and my iPod, so I always have it handy. Better to dip into the book than into the cookie jar!

And I'm on my way over to Reinhard's Shovelglove store at Amazon. I'm fighting a middle age middle and the shoveling moves are great for the waistline.

I'm starting today, but it will be official on Thursday, when there will be exactly 100 days left in the year. It will be a 100 day challenge. I even have a 100 day Bible reading plan to go with it! I want to arrive at New Year's Day walking tall instead of crawling in with desperate resolutions I know I won't keep.

So, I hope it's okay if I return here...again?
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Welcome back! Check out some of the latest posts in the testimonial forum; there is more than one person that made several attempts at NoS before it all kicked in for them....
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Welcome back! I wondered what happened to you.

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: “Diets are like trying to sell everyone the same style and size shoe. If this way of eating is forced and not really you, you’ll revert to your old patterns every time. Better to find a way to eat for life.†(Pam Anderson )

I think maybe No-S needs to be adjusted somewhat for the people who have trouble sticking to vanilla No-S. How? It depends on the person. One thing I know for sure is that nothing works for everyone. If you figure out what's really you, you'll find the thing that is nearly effortless for you to follow.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Wosnes, I agree with you 100%. I think this is the problem I am having. This time around I will not do Vanilla No S, which obviously doesn't work for me, but I will do one mod.

The problem: Breakfast is early, lunch is late (usually 6 hours between meals, too long for me). All of my Urban Rangering is between breakfast and lunch. I work around food all morning long. I am lifting heavy items over and over. By 10 a.m. I am starving.

The solution: I have been bringing 2 oz cheese with me and eating that at my station and that tides me over until lunch.

That has become my No S Mod: cheese at 10.

I've been around here for 5 1/2 years; maybe this time I'll actually get it right? :?

Thanks for the welcome, Vmsurbat; I'll check out those testimonials.

Too solid flesh

Re: Slip-Sliding Away!

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Welcome back, Jammin' Jan.
Jammin' Jan wrote:I want to arrive at New Year's Day walking tall instead of crawling in with desperate resolutions I know I won't keep.
That's a really good way of thinking about the New Year.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Good to see you, always! :)

Love your "100-day" challenge!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Great to see you Jan! I've been wondering what happened to you. I may have strayed back and forth with NoS, but I never left the boards and always checked in briefly on a daily basis. A week ago I read a testimonial from Starla where she summarized her year with NoS and her 65 pound loss. I was so impressed, encouraged, and inspired by what she wrote that I decided to give NoS yet another try...a 365 day try. I want to post my one-year testimonial next September 13...and I would love to post about a big loss.
I love your 100 day challenge! I'll be keeping up on your progress!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 pm

wosnes wrote:
I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: “Diets are like trying to sell everyone the same style and size shoe. If this way of eating is forced and not really you, you’ll revert to your old patterns every time. Better to find a way to eat for life.†(Pam Anderson )

I think maybe No-S needs to be adjusted somewhat for the people who have trouble sticking to vanilla No-S. How? It depends on the person. One thing I know for sure is that nothing works for everyone. If you figure out what's really you, you'll find the thing that is nearly effortless for you to follow.
These are things I'm going to have to "chew on" (pardon me!) for awhile wosnes! It makes sense that something is lacking for me in vanilla NoS if I can't get past about 8 months of it...but - how to figure what's really me? What do I need to tweak or change...I thought that vanilla NoS was me - but if that were the case I wouldn't be starting over time and time again, would I? But then again, Reinhard says that some people have to try and retry a dozen times or more before it becomes habit. Hm-m-m-m-...like I said, I need to think on this awhile!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:00 pm

mimi wrote:
wosnes wrote:

These are things I'm going to have to "chew on" (pardon me!) for awhile wosnes! It makes sense that something is lacking for me in vanilla NoS if I can't get past about 8 months of it...but - how to figure what's really me? What do I need to tweak or change...I thought that vanilla NoS was me - but if that were the case I wouldn't be starting over time and time again, would I? But then again, Reinhard says that some people have to try and retry a dozen times or more before it becomes habit. Hm-m-m-m-...like I said, I need to think on this awhile!

I think you have to look at either what happens to make you "fail" or what makes you unhappiest about No-S. What about No-S doesn't work for you?
Last edited by wosnes on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm where you are Mimi. I'm now trying my own rules out. Based on No S, but rules that work with my life. This is what I'm doing but will reevaluate in time.
3 meals a day
No Sweets (exception is bible study if available and a tiny amount)
No 2nds, 9 inch plate or smaller (breakfast for example)
Snacks only if needed. A snack will be a small piece of fruit. No more that 2 per day.
Also Bunko 1 x a month is an exception.
S days are off from the rules of course.
I may paste and copy this to my check in. I haven't used the check in for awhile. Haven't really needed to, but do read the boards.
Welcome back, Jan. Your not in this alone.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:32 am

wosnes wrote:
I think you have to look at either what happens to make you "fail" or what makes you unhappiest about No-S. What about No-S doesn't work for you?
Exactly! I think you are so right wosnes. I have already started to think about what makes me "fail" and not be able to get back on track. I think that it is a "thinking" problem with me - you know, the "I already dented the car so I might as well drive it over the cliff" type of thinking. It might not be so much a problem with vanilla NoS, but more of me not having the proper coping strategies and thinking processes.

I'll be working on this and giving it lots of thought to get it figured out. I've got to if I want to be successful this time.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:57 pm

Of course it's OK, welcome back! If we had an aristocracy on this board, you'd be a duchess at least, with all the kind, helpful advice you've given over the years.

I'm sorry I've been so busy recently that I didn't see your post till now (kids starting school, my wife starting a very demanding new job as a 4th grade teacher, and me taking a class for the first time in a decade).

Best of luck with all your "100 days" resolutions. Keep us posted.

Reinhard

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:03 pm

reinhard wrote:kids starting school, my wife starting a very demanding new job as a 4th grade teacher, and me taking a class for the first time in a decade
Best wishes to you all.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:16 pm

Missed ya!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks, everyone! Today is Day 10 of my current 100. I messed up twice -- snack, as usual! -- because my work schedule changed. But I was okay otherwise and don't feel too bad about it.

I'm going to stop trying to be perfect all the time. Just get it right as much as I can and keep trying. This holds for all aspects of life, doesn't it? It's tough being a Type A Perfectionist person!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Jammin' Jan wrote: I'm going to stop trying to be perfect all the time. Just get it right as much as I can and keep trying. This holds for all aspects of life, doesn't it? It's tough being a Type A Perfectionist person!
One of my favorite quotes is "perfectionists waste too much time trying to be perfect." Something I've never had to worry about. I'm SO not a perfectionist. And I consider that to be one of the blessings in my life! Good enough is good enough.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:26 pm

wosnes wrote:
Jammin' Jan wrote: I'm going to stop trying to be perfect all the time. Just get it right as much as I can and keep trying. This holds for all aspects of life, doesn't it? It's tough being a Type A Perfectionist person!
One of my favorite quotes is "perfectionists waste too much time trying to be perfect." Something I've never had to worry about. I'm SO not a perfectionist. And I consider that to be one of the blessings in my life! Good enough is good enough.
wosnes, that's one of the big lessons from No-S for me. But your quote is great! (Jan, I am so. with you!)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:25 am

Wosnes, I envy you.

KCCC, glad to know I'm not alone!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:32 am

Jammin' Jan wrote:Wosnes, I envy you.

KCCC, glad to know I'm not alone!
I consider myself a "recovering perfectionist" - kind of like being a recovering anything in that I have to guard against relapse...

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:37 pm

wosnes wrote:
Amen. I too am a recovering perfectionist, sigh. I love your quote so much wosnes that I added it to my signature line. I am learning to accept that good enough is good enough - nothing has to be over-and-above and perfect in this life. Thanks for the reminder.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:34 am

You people are my kind of people. Why did I stay away so long?

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:16 pm

how refreshing. I'm usually thinking "good enough", but with dieting I always think I'm failing over tiny stuff. Usually because it leads to bigger stuff. Maybe if I try to think "good enough" with dieting... hmmm....
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:13 pm

~reneew wrote:how refreshing. I'm usually thinking "good enough", but with dieting I always think I'm failing over tiny stuff. Usually because it leads to bigger stuff. Maybe if I try to think "good enough" with dieting... hmmm....
This is something I've noticed for a long time. In (most) other issues people are very happy with "doing their best" or "good enough." With diet -- it's perfection only. I truly do not understand this. I'm not perfect in anything I do -- even when I'm putting forth my very best effort. Why should diet be different from other things?

I'm a big fan of doing my best -- which is not to be confused with perfection. In fact, it's usually good enough. If it happens to get near perfection, well, that's fine, but that usually isn't going to happen. I think this is why I don't use HabitCal -- if I'm not perfect, I get a failure.