Weight Is Just a Number

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Weight Is Just a Number

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Interesting article over at Casual Kitchen today. I'm not sure I even agree with keeping track of BMI and fat percentages, but that's just me.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:02 am

I liked that article a lot! I think it makes a lot of sense! Sometimes, I get SO tired of the scale. I've been experimenting lately with having a couple of days a week or so where I don't weigh myself, and I've found it to be very freeing. I've been using BMI to keep my weight in check for awhile, and I find it to be a good tool for me. My rule is that as long as I stay within my healthy BMI range, I don't care as much about an actual number. I have a medium bone frame and a more muscular build, so I'm at the higher end of my healthy BMI range, but I'm fine with that.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:18 pm

I have a general idea of what I weigh, but can't remember the last time I stepped on a scale and gauge my weight by how my clothes are fitting. And BMI is completely useless--there have been a bunch of articles pointing out that many super fit, muscular athletes are listed as having an overweight or obese BMI, since the measurement doesn't account for the composition (muscle vs. fat) of the weight.

Body fat measurements can be helpful, even though experts say some fat is more dangerous than other fat (like abdominal fat versus fat on the hips and thighs). But, I imagine at some point there's a cutoff where a certain amount of body fat just isn't healthy, no matter where the fat is distributed.

BrightAngel

Re Scales and Weight-Loss

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 pm

I posted a lot of interesting information about this subject on my Daily Check-in Thread.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 5605#85605

After reading it, if you want to make a General comment on some point,
I hope that you will make that comment on THIS Thread,
to save the space on my personal Thread for my personal use.
Thanks.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Another number to ignore: clothing sizes.

My neighbor is 2 inches taller than me and over 50 pounds heavier (though she is losing weight). Just recently she told me she was going to have to buy new clothes in a smaller size -- which was smaller than I wear! Clothing size means nothing.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:31 pm

The only numbers I'm paying attention to are my waist, bust and hip size - and that's because I sew my own clothing and costumes, so I need to be aware of those sizes.

I find keeping track of my weight or BMI just tends to weird me out, since my BMI says I'm obese or nearly obese... I know I need to lose weight, but honestly - do I look obese? Picture
(PS, I'm the dark haired one)

Additionally, since I started No-S, I've actually gained about 5 pounds - but I've lost 3.5 inches in my waist.. and gained a cup size in my bust.
It'll be interesting to see what my weight does now that I'm doing two hours of exercise three days a week, and an hour the other two. (Aikido and DDR respecively)
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 pm

You look delightful, Aleria, and I like the cosplay outfits.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Aleria,

You do not look obese, but you look very, very young! That's a darling picture.
Eileen

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Haha thanks! And Eileen, that's the first time I've ever heard that - I'm 18 and regularly get mistaken for mid 20's, and being my mother's sister.
Must be the schoolgirl cosplay XD
But yeah > BMI is not always a good indicator. I don't know about body fat percentages, since I've never been measured. I do know where I have some and where it's all muscle though.
As long as you're happy with yourself, and you don't have any health risks, who cares what weight you are? According to the BMI tables I should be no higher than 128 pounds.
ETA: not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to prove a point.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:25 pm

wosnes wrote:Another number to ignore: clothing sizes.

My neighbor is 2 inches taller than me and over 50 pounds heavier (though she is losing weight). Just recently she told me she was going to have to buy new clothes in a smaller size -- which was smaller than I wear! Clothing size means nothing.
Especially with the insane amount of vanity sizing that goes on in some stores. I normally wear a size 6, but at certain stores fit into a size 2, which is ridiculous. I don't find it flattering or exciting to suddenly and out of nowhere fit into a size 2--I find it frustrating and confusing. I actually read an article recently (don't remember where I saw it) where they measured men's size 34-inch pants, and every single pair had a waist that was at least a few inches greater than 34. I think Old Navy's size 34s were actually 39 inches!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:52 am

Aleria, You certainly do not look obese at all, and if you've lost 3 inches in your waist, it sounds like you're doing great. :D I think the way manufacturers size clothing is absolutely wrong. I hate vanity sizing. Yes, I wear a lot of size 4s, but sometimes I need 6s and other times, 8s, and it makes shopping very frustrating.

Graham

Post by Graham » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:30 am

Good article - but I wonder why they missed out Waist to Height ratio? It is just as easy to measure at home as your BMI and it is a better predictor of health risk factors. There's an informative web-site where you can put your measurements in and get the answers worked out for you here: http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/

On the clothing size issue: I just bought a pair of "32" " waist trousers. I really felt good about it, but I do know my waist was 37 1/2" that morning! I recall someone posted an item recently on how most people think they are far less overweight or obese than they truly are - hardly surprising if all the clothes manufacturers are systematically lying to us!