Getting Away from All or None Mentality

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

janie47

Getting Away from All or None Mentality

Post by janie47 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi Everyone!
Yesterday was day 2 for me beginning the NoS for me. I was really really hungry last night, and I ended up eating a bowl of cereal. All the snacking I have done in the past is going to be a hard habit for me to break. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to fill up better? Even though I didn't stay completely "vanilla" yesterday, I have got to get right back on board today.
Thanks for reading! :)

scgal

Post by scgal » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Having a glass of milk or juice might have been another option that doesn't count as a snack.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:03 pm

I'll share a tip that helps me. Spend as little time in the kitchen, other than at mealtimes, and when preparing meals, as you can. Make it inconvenient to get to the food other than at mealtimes. That way, you have to think about it a little more before you can get a snack, and that might give you time to remember that you're not doing snacks any more.

Taking a walk would be a good way to stay away from the kitchen, distract yourself from being hungry, and get some exercise. If you're not motivated enough to do that (or the weather's not cooperating), at least watch TV or surf the internet in another room.

When you start feeling hungry, have a glass of water (or other beverage of your choice, preferably non-caloric) before eating anything. Thirst sometimes masquerades as hunger.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:06 pm

I have two suggestions. One is to make sure you eat enough at meals. You don't want to be stuffed afterwards, but you do want enough to enable you to last until the next meal. Second, make sure you eat plenty of the things that help to keep you feeling satisfied: fiber, fats and protein.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

janie47

Post by janie47 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Thank you all for these great suggestions! I will give them all a try! :)

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 pm

I'd add to the keep you satisfied list: something you will really like or enjoy. When I have a meal with nothing like that really included (usually a leftovers day), I tend to not be satisfied and have a much harder time waiting til it's officially time to eat again to eat again.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:21 pm

thtrchic wrote:I'd add to the keep you satisfied list: something you will really like or enjoy. When I have a meal with nothing like that really included (usually a leftovers day), I tend to not be satisfied and have a much harder time waiting til it's officially time to eat again to eat again.
I second this. Also, sitting down and taking time to enjoy your food. I find that whenever I'm forced to eat on the go instead of sitting down and focusing on eating, I don't really feel as if I had a meal and start wanting to snack.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:42 am

another suggestion is when you're feeling peckish, try downing a big glass of water. I've noticed with myself that most of the time I was just thirsty and my body registered it as hunger. I also try to take a muti vitamin every day and that has helped curb my snack cravings a ton!

good luck!
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Murphysraven wrote:another suggestion is when you're feeling peckish, try downing a big glass of water. I've noticed with myself that most of the time I was just thirsty and my body registered it as hunger. I also try to take a muti vitamin every day and that has helped curb my snack cravings a ton!

good luck!
Water definitely works, or you could also try club soda. I find the bubbles really fill me up, and cause me to sip at my drink slowly. Sometimes I add a few drops of juice for flavor.