Having patience

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Samantha

Having patience

Post by Samantha » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 am

Hello everyone! I'm struggling a bit and really losing inspiration and need a bit of advice...

I have been on the No-S diet since August 18th and haven't really lost anything. This wouldn't seem like a big deal since no S is suppose to be steady, but I'm about 170 pounds overweight and No-S has changed my diet dramatically, so I'm just really losing inspiration since I should have lost at least a good 5 pounds by now? The first week I lost 5 pounds, but then it crept back up and stayed at a 3 pound lost for a month. Now I am back to my starting weight. I totally wasn't expecting to lose a lot, but I was hoping to lose at least 4-5 pounds a month. Losing nothing in a about 2 months is just discouraging. My clothes don't fit any different.

I haven't cheated at all, and I have only had one S holiday. My weekends weren't the best to start with, but now my S days are pretty moderate except for fast food on the weekends every now and then, but even my fast food portions are normal and I don't eat it nowhere near like I use to. I've ate seconds my whole life, so I'm surprised that the extra 400+ calories up from another full plate of food isn't making me lose alone. I'll admit I don't excercise yet, but my diet has changed a lot.

Is it normal for No S to take off slow then pick up? I know it will be worth it, but I'd at least like a 1 pound a week lost, especially since I'm really overweight. I really don't like the idea of mods, just because the No-S diet alone makes sense. I love the No-S and can't imagine going off it (I think of food a lot less then I did when I wasn't dieting, and my appetite is normal now, I love it).

Do you think I should look into mods or combing it with another diet or wait a little longer? Any tips for staying motivated when nothing wants to change at the moment? Did progress start off slow for you at first too?

I know this is kind of rambly, but I'm feeling really down about this. Thanks for reading =].
August/starting - 280
September- ?

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:12 pm

Do you have the habits down? Are you having a lot of red days?
If so, continue to focus on forming the habits. Trying to mess with it so you lose more before it's a habit is just asking for disaster.

If you do, try looking at the composition of your meals - some people have mentioned they try and fill half their plate with vegetables, which are relatively low calorie and high nutrition. No-S is designed so you don't -have to- do this, but for some of us we do. It's not really a mod, just another guideline, not a hard rule.

Also, exercise will boost your weight loss, even if it's just 14 minutes of something moderate. Just go for a walk, if nothing else.

And if it makes you feel any better, I've been doing this for about 6 months (I took a 4 month break in the summer due to living situations) and I'm still at the same weight I was when I started. However, I've been losing fat here and there, and since I started exercising regularly I've been looking a lot slimmer to people, even though I can't notice it myself.

Just stick with it for now, that's the most important thing :D
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:14 pm

What a let down! That must be really frustrating. However, did you ever wonder that if you weren't doing No S, would you have actually gained weight in this amount of time?

I'm REALLY new at this still (not new to dieting), but maybe you need to start bringing in more vegetables into your meals. When you eat fast food, do you get a salad to go with it at least? Fast food is one of the worst things you can eat. If I eat it too regularly, it makes me gain weight like crazy... unless I get a Happy Meal!

Now, I haven't had too much luck yet myself, but from reading what other people are writing the key seems to be to add in more fruits and veggies and slowly eliminate some of the more naughty foods.
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 200.4
Total: -4.2

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Samantha wrote:Hello everyone! I'm struggling a bit and really losing inspiration and need a bit of advice...

I have been on the No-S diet since August 18th and haven't really lost anything. This wouldn't seem like a big deal since no S is suppose to be steady, but I'm about 170 pounds overweight and No-S has changed my diet dramatically, so I'm just really losing inspiration since I should have lost at least a good 5 pounds by now? The first week I lost 5 pounds, but then it crept back up and stayed at a 3 pound lost for a month. Now I am back to my starting weight. I totally wasn't expecting to lose a lot, but I was hoping to lose at least 4-5 pounds a month. Losing nothing in a about 2 months is just discouraging. My clothes don't fit any different.

I haven't cheated at all, and I have only had one S holiday. My weekends weren't the best to start with, but now my S days are pretty moderate except for fast food on the weekends every now and then, but even my fast food portions are normal and I don't eat it nowhere near like I use to. I've ate seconds my whole life, so I'm surprised that the extra 400+ calories up from another full plate of food isn't making me lose alone. I'll admit I don't excercise yet, but my diet has changed a lot.

Is it normal for No S to take off slow then pick up? I know it will be worth it, but I'd at least like a 1 pound a week lost, especially since I'm really overweight. I really don't like the idea of mods, just because the No-S diet alone makes sense. I love the No-S and can't imagine going off it (I think of food a lot less then I did when I wasn't dieting, and my appetite is normal now, I love it).

Do you think I should look into mods or combing it with another diet or wait a little longer? Any tips for staying motivated when nothing wants to change at the moment? Did progress start off slow for you at first too?

I know this is kind of rambly, but I'm feeling really down about this. Thanks for reading =].

Greetings Samantha! Kudos to you, too, for building habit and having 2 solid months on No S! That's a huge success! I agree, too, that it could be that adopting No S has curtailed further weight gain which is also a success.

I'd look first at your N day habits. If your N Day habits are truly solid and you've had no red days/only one NWS then I think it is quite reasonable to adopt a mod at this point.

One option, as others have noted, would be to look at the quality of food that you are eating and, if you aren't eating a lot of fresh fruits/veggies/whole grains to commit to designating more of your single plate meal to these things. Another option would be to commit to using smaller plates, at home, on N Days. Exercise is also important. Any one of these options could be enough to turn things around. :wink:

But I honestly wouldn't try to take on too much at once. I'd look at what seems most reasonable to you, try the tweak for a month and see if it makes a difference.

HTH! :)
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Wow, this must be dissapointing. Good for you though for your stick to it attitude. I understand about hating mods, but maybe just think about some different ones. I believe in portion control. Even as a runner, I have to watch my portions if at my age 36 I'm going to be trim. I hate it, but it is a fact of life and so that is what works for me.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm

If I were you, I'd go get a physical. Good luck.
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life