How often should I weight myself?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AnneK

How often should I weight myself?

Post by AnneK » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:31 am

I am just getting started on this. Any advice on how often I should weigh myself--I understand the loss will be slow, so I don't want to get discouraged. On the other hand, I feel like its important to sort of monitor the situation.

Also, if you were going to weigh yourself, say, once a week, should it be on Monday morning, after the two 'S' days, or Saturday morning, after a week of 'N' days?

Gracias!
5'7"
Starting weight Oct 16 2010: 156
Current weight Nov 13 2010: 153

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:31 pm

I'd say don't weigh more often than monthly. It doesn't matter when you weigh yourself as long as you're consistent, because you're looking at trends.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:44 pm

It really depends on what feels right for you. Some folks have difficult histories with the scale and do best to weigh themselves infrequently, like once a month. Others prefer to check-in daily or weekly so that they can become tuned in with normal body fluctuations, nip any potential problems in the bud, etc. I weigh myself near daily and graph my weight.

If I were to weigh myself once a week, I'd do it on Saturday morning, following my N Days. For me, anyway, the scale usually shows a temporary gain immediately following S Days and then drops back down again within a day or so. I've discovered over time that fluctuations on the scale -- following S days, due to hormones or excess sodium, etc, etc -- are quite normal and feel that more frequent weigh-ins give me a broader, more realistic view of what is going on. Certainly such frequent weigh-ins aren't the best plan for everyone, however.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:13 pm

I weigh daily and average it once a week. I don't usually get freaked out by the fluctuations. I can go up and down 2-3 lbs. in a day. Got to be water weight.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm with the it depends on your personality crowd.

I weigh every day, so that I have a record and so I can have a better idea of my actual weight without the confusion of fluctuations, but I don't actually look at it every day. I do try to be consistent in how/when I weigh. Always first thing in the morning, always wearing the same-ish clothing (shorts and exercise top). I figure even if it's off, it will always be off the same direction, so I still will get the gist of the trend.

I use my WiiFit to track my weight. It's nice because it keeps a log, but I don't have to look at it if I don't want to. Sure it pops up on the screen, but it pops up in BMI (so you have to tell it to show you weight) and it's really easy to click past the screen without looking at it (which I do if I'm in a hurry). For me this is the best of both worlds, I don't get bogged down focusing on a number, but I also have a nice record and can get an idea about how food affects me.

Of course, I'm also a pretty science-minded person. So I'm used to ignoring individual data points and looking at trends and averages.

For me, if I was not going to weigh daily, I actually think I would do monthly instead of weekly. I feel like weekly is too infrequent to notice where the fluctuations are and establish trends and too frequent to notice large drops in weight - and I think that I'd be more likely to get lost in the numbers. For example, my first week noSing I started at 226.4 pounds. Day 7 I was up to 228.2! But day 6 was 226.2 and day 8 was 224.7. If I had only seen the nearly 2 pound gain, I think I would have freaked out and possibly even (stupidly) quit or tried to add a zillion mods. But since I was weighing daily, I knew there was no way I had actually gained 2 pounds of true weight overnight, figured it was a fluctuation and moved on. So in a bizarre way, weighing in more often helps me obsess LESS over the numbers.

As with everything else in diets and life, it's about reflecting on what works best for you (which I know is an awful non-answer, but I still think it's true) :-)
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

AnneK

weigh in

Post by AnneK » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks for the input everybody. I think i'll weigh myself when my clothes feel looser :)
5'7"
Starting weight Oct 16 2010: 156
Current weight Nov 13 2010: 153

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Sienna wrote:As with everything else in diets and life, it's about reflecting on what works best for you (which I know is an awful non-answer, but I still think it's true) :-)
Agreed - well said!

There's a thread on here somewhere about weighing, which was very good. As I recall, folks tend to fall into two main categories:
1) Weigh often so you learn to ignore blips
2) Weigh infrequently so trends show clearly

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:52 am

KCCC wrote:There's a thread on here somewhere about weighing, which was very good. As I recall, folks tend to fall into two main categories:
1) Weigh often so you learn to ignore blips
2) Weigh infrequently so trends show clearly
I found the thread:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=84226

KCCC's comment, there, is an extended version of her wise words above.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm

I weigh myself once a week. It is from my weight watcher days. If I am on my period or about to start, I wait another week.