Your tips for the holidays, please!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kathi

Your tips for the holidays, please!

Post by Kathi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm sure this info is buried somewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find a specific topic when I searched.

Reinhard has a very helpful chapter on staying on plan during the holiday season (which, thanks to my kids, starts this weekend in my house). I'd love to hear others' tips as well.

I'm wavering on whether to make tomorrow an S-day...we're hosting a little party for the kids and their friends, but this weekend is going to include a lot more temptation than usual...
Start Date: 11/26/11
CW: 137
GW: 127
Vanilla No S; walking 30 min & bodyweight exercises 5x/wk

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:37 pm

It has been a while since I've read the chapter on holidays. I need to reread that. :wink:

My rule of thumb is that if it is a major holiday -- like Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, my birthday, etc -- I generally have an unrestricted S Day and eat what I want. I do try to take a nice walk if it works out and I feel like it.

If it is a period where I'm on vacation or there are a string of holidays -- we have a bunch of family birthdays in December, for example -- that are S worthy, I use the "S Event" mod that others on the Board have proposed. If something really special and S worthy comes up, I have the option of taking an S Event, meaning a sweet, snack or second each day. Or, I can skip it, if there isn't anything truly S worthy.

Halloween is on a Sunday this year so it isn't a concern but we are handing out treats that aren't a huge temptation for me. I love chocolate but could leave all other candy so I'll likely end up having a good quality baked good or something and maybe swipe a mini-candy bar or two from DD's loot. :wink: Afterwards, I'll tuck the leftover candy away/send some into work with DH and DD can pick a small treat for her lunchbox each day.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Well, even with the party, there's no reason to make the whole day an S day. Call the party an S event, enjoy yourself, don't go crazy and don't worry about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Although I haven't been through the holiday season on No-S yet, Reinhard has a podcast on the topic that I recommend - Episode 15: Season's Warnings
Thanks for reminding me, I should relisten to it.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist