Anyone else noticed...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Imogen Morley

Anyone else noticed...

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:00 am

... that eating sweets after meals doesn't provoke such an overwhelming hunger and craving as eating them BETWEEN meals?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:13 am

I hadn't really thought about it, but I have noticed it. Small servings of sweets after a meal just provide a nice finish to the meal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

cab54

Post by cab54 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 pm

I've noticed this. Having sweets all by themselves for me sends my blood sugar up (I'm not diabetic, but have the all the makings of getting it), and I feel jittery and crummy, then sugar comes crashing down and I feel hungrier than any other time.
Cheryl

Starting weight--200 (gah!)
Currently--185
Goal weight--135, or wherever I end up

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:09 pm

Yup, very definitely. I figured it was some level of sugar sensitivity, since diabetes runs in my family.

When I eat sweets after a meal, it's as if the protein provides an "anchor" for all those simple sugars... which is probably not technically correct, but "feels right" to me.

Dessert as part of a meal also helps with portion control, since you have to "leave room" for it.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeah, if I have something sweet in between meals--say late afternoon--I end up with an overwhelming desire to either sleep or keep eating more junk. One of the reasons why I tend to stick with dessert after dinner =)

Lolly

Post by Lolly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:25 pm

I find that I only ever crave sweet food when I am already full or satisfied. If i'm really hungry I always feel like eating something savoury, but If I do end up eating something sweet instead, it never fully satisfies me, no matter how much I eat.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:22 am

Yep, I have noticed that! Back when I was eating sweets more often, I would always eat my dessert with lunch. The protein and fat from the rest of my lunch definitely kept my blood sugar in check.