What is vanilla no S?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jd4070

What is vanilla no S?

Post by jd4070 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello I am new. I have seen the term Vanilla NoS but I still don't understand. Thanks!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Vanilla No-S is No-S without any modifications. Many of us have modified it in some way to better suit our needs.

For example, with the exception of major holidays, I no longer take S days. Instead, I allow myself one S daily. That doesn't necessarily mean that I take them, but I can if I want to use an S.
Mollie Katzen wrote:From The Best Diet: No Diet at All

This is the key: If you are interested in long term weight reduction, you need a moderate, balanced way of eating of your own design that you can live with -- not some super-restrictive, strict plan that makes you unhappy and always vigilant.
Pam Anderson wrote:from The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great

Diets are like trying to sell everyone the same style and size shoe. If this way of eating is forced and not really you, you’ll revert to your old patterns every time. Better to find a way to eat for life.
For me, that "of your own design" is extremely important. I don't do well following someone else's rules -- no matter how much sense they may make. If it doesn't fit me, I'm not going to be able to follow it.

I originally started with no S-Days, but allowed myself 2-3 S-events weekly. This was largely due to the fact that most of my eating out/socializing didn't occur on weekends. In the last couple of months I changed it to one S daily largely because it is easier to remember. I could remember if I'd had an S each day, but trying to remember how many I'd had weekly was more difficult.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

jd4070

Post by jd4070 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:39 pm

I understand. Thank you very much.
11/8/10 Starting weight 155 lbs.
Today 154 lbs.

poetgirl

Post by poetgirl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:13 pm

I was wondering this myself, there are so many terms to memorize. lol It's kind of fun to learn, though. Thank you for clearing this up!

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:33 pm

My Father in Law - who lived to 99 and was all of his life +or- 5 lb. of his high school weight - had his own version of NoS.

He followed the diet to the T except:

1. His S days were family reunions (Thanksgiving, etc.) On these days his glass ceiling was 3-4 units.

2. NEVER snacks and/or seconds.

3. A sweet the size of a domino bone after lunch and dinner.

It worked for him.