Losing weight is (mostly) great

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Losing weight is (mostly) great

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:51 pm

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checku ... =nl_health

In this article, the author talks about her experience losing weight (using a self-created program that shares some qualities with No-S). She talks about the "downside"...

The most interesting part was something that I consider a positive side-effect of No-S: when you don't use food as an avoidance strategy, you DEAL with the hard parts of life. Not always pleasant, but more productive.

Just thought I'd share...

sidney202

Re: Losing weight is (mostly) great

Post by sidney202 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 am

KCCC wrote:[url]The most interesting part was something that I consider a positive side-effect of No-S: when you don't use food as an avoidance strategy, you DEAL with the hard parts of life. Not always pleasant, but more productive.
Yes, yes, yes! I wholeheartedly agree!

I am very new to NoS (a week) but on my first full day, I realized that I was no longer using food as a way of procrastinating at work. It was a bit embarrassing really, to discover how much time I spent trolling back and forth to the vending machines and on-site cafe instead of doing some dreaded task.

Additionally, NoS has shown me in a very short time, that food doesn't make me fat, I make me fat. My habits are the culprit. As such, I have drawn some very unflattering, but accurate, parallel conclusions about my work habits and my propensity to finish work tasks late (You mean it's not because I have too heavy of a workload? It's because I don't start my tasks in a timely manner???? :shock:).

The wonderful thing I am learning already is that if the problem is not external, but internal (my habits) then I have the power to change it. I am not a helpless victim. The concept is liberating and sobering at the same time.