habitcal put things in perspective for me

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gettheweightoff

habitcal put things in perspective for me

Post by gettheweightoff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:16 am

I was just looking at my habitcal and thinking that considering I started no-s on December 27th the following is not that terrible...

20 green days
8 red days
2 yellow days

Ok I would have preferred not to have any red days, BUT they were DEFINITE learning opportunities (don't go unprepared, don't go too long without eating, etc) that I am glad I learned at the beginning and this is just the beginning of the rest of my life on no-s. I've already decided there is no other way, plan, diet for me.

Considering I have really been suffering with binge eating for about 10 years (yes, i've tried everything from therapy, books, cd's etc.) I am not going to cure myself overnight 8 fails is not the end of the world. Hopefully there won't be any more red days but as long as there are good stretches of green I think that's pretty good.

The habitcal is a great motivator because I really want to see lots of green days. At the same time I don't want to obsess over it but it's a good reference every now and then! Sort of like a pat on the back.

Nicest of the Damned

Re: habitcal put things in perspective for me

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 am

You done good! 2.5 times as many successes as failures. For every day you failed, there were two and a half days where you didn't.
gettheweightoff wrote:The habitcal is a great motivator because I really want to see lots of green days. At the same time I don't want to obsess over it but it's a good reference every now and then! Sort of like a pat on the back.
I didn't want to do habitcal at first. I didn't start doing it until this August, while I started No S in June. I didn't like the idea of everybody on the internet being able to see how I'm doing on my diet. Normally, I know that, no matter what I do or have to say, there are at least one billion Chinese who couldn't possibly care less. But somehow, when I fail, that's not the way it feels.

On balance, though, I'm glad I do the HabitCal. It satisfies my need for gold stars when I do well on No S. I don't have to snap at Nicest Husband when I stick to No S and he doesn't say anything.

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 am

cute!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:30 am

How is it you have only 2 yellow days since 12/29? I count 8 since then. Remember, you cannot fail on an S day.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:41 am

I know, I thought about that too but I went completely wild on a few S days so I considered them Fail because they felt very binge like.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:45 am

wosnes has a point. Yes, while there is the caution not to be an idiot, unless you've been on No-S for at least six months and your S-days haven't moderated, you probably SHOULDN'T consider any S day a failure.

FWIW, I let S days be what they are. I've done everything from nibble all day to eat three meals with no S events. Average is a treat or two, but even if it's something different, I don't sweat it. The less pressure I put on them, the less likely I am to WANT to be an idiot.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:29 am

Hi Nicole! Just wanted to drop in and say first of all I'm still here and still on no S and very much enjoying your posts! Very inspiring as always. Incase you guys don't hear anything from me for a while - I've a little extra work on for the next couple of weeks - however, I continue to read/lurk on the no S board as and when I can.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling so positive, Nicole - again, I feel I could have written your posts myself since they identify so very closely to my approach and thoughts regarding food issues etc. I just hope I can be as positive as yourself in the coming days/weeks!! :wink:

All the best to my fellow no s-ers!!!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:11 am

gettheweightoff wrote:I know, I thought about that too but I went completely wild on a few S days so I considered them Fail because they felt very binge like.
I think that sounds like diet think. There are probably very few of us who haven't had S days like that, especially in the beginning. We're all going to have awful days. The good thing is -- yours were on S days.
Last edited by wosnes on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Congratulations! But I have to ask, are you tracking "feeling binge like" or No S compliance?

Your habitcal can track whatever it is you want to track. You are the one in charge, here. Just be very clear in your own mind what you are tracking.

I know you don't trust yourself to not binge, that you've been sitting on this particular geyser for quite some time. But quite frankly, you won't know if No S will be able to truly address the binging until you do straight No S without adding extra strictness to it for several months.

Of course, I don't know how bad your binging is. Binge can mean a lot of things to different people. Are you talking several hours straight of eating hundreds of dollars worth of food? Eating an entire loaf of bread at one sitting? Or just the generally out of control feeling that you can't stop eating, even if the actual quantity isn't that much.

I do know that No S does mitigate the out of control feeling, at least judging by the comment here and my own personal experience. If your binging is imperiling your health, then perhaps No S AND some medical/therapeutic help are in order.