Is this normal re: my meals?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gettheweightoff

Is this normal re: my meals?

Post by gettheweightoff » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Whenever I eat a meal now if it was not very satisfying or yummy I sort of feel a little pissed off right after for some reason and I want to eat something else. I stop myself but I need to take more care with my meals and put it together nicely and make them enjoyable. With only 3 meals I want to make them count.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:35 pm

I'd say that my meals pretty much always satisfy me in terms of taking care of my hunger. Occasionally I have one that doesn't satisfy me in terms of quality or taste. I can't say that I want to eat more to get that satisfaction, but I make a mental note not to repeat it, if possible.

This is one of the reasons I rarely eat at chain/fast food restaurants. The food is pretty much all quantity with little quality. There are a few exceptions, but that's exactly what they are: exceptions.

As for cooking -- if I don't love it, I don't make it. Funny thing is, it doesn't seem to have limited the repertoire of dishes at all. There are some different things, but not fewer things.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Re: Is this normal re: my meals?

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:55 pm

gettheweightoff wrote:Whenever I eat a meal now if it was not very satisfying or yummy I sort of feel a little pissed off right after for some reason and I want to eat something else. I stop myself but I need to take more care with my meals and put it together nicely and make them enjoyable. With only 3 meals I want to make them count.
Exactly. And THIS is why so many of us here natter on about cooking from scratch and Mark Bittman and food quality. We aren't doing it out of a desperate desire to finally eat "right" as deemed by the authority of the moment, but because we want to enjoy our food.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Yes, since I get three plates a day, I want to ENJOY them. I'm a grown-up and can suck up a less than delightful meal when I have to, but when I have the option, I do think about what I WANT to eat. What will make me feel good emotionally, what will make me feel good physically and what will be pleasurable.

Like Our Founder says, "My meals are usually delicious, nutritious or both!"

It is why I cook from scratch, and so on. My meals deserve to be good, if I've the option to do so.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Yes, when you've been on No-S a while, you start getting pickier about what you eat.

Things you like. Fresh seasonal veggies. GOOD S-day treats (I've become rather snobby about most junk food...not worth bothering with.) Etc.

I consider it a good thing.

Food is so much more rewarding and enjoyable. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:02 am

I agree with Blithe Morning, NoelFigart and KCCC. I think this is part of the problem with many Americans and food -- the meal cooked from scratch with real ingredients isn't highly valued.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:07 am

I am definitely pickier. I had to have a meal "out" Tuesday night on the way to my son's match and I finally decided...

...to postpone dinner until I got home. Fast food just wasn't going to cut it.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."