Getting through hungry afternoons

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Getting through hungry afternoons

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:20 pm

What does everyone do to get through those munchy hungries in the afternoon? Water? what? It's not terrible, and I'm reminding myself it's ok to be a little hungry sometimes.

I dislike the afternoons and can't wait till supper!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:27 am

I have a coffee with milk and/or cream and it really does the trick for me. Crystal light also works for me!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:28 am

I make sure I eat a big enough lunch.

Then, if I get the munchies, I generally will make myself a cup of coffee or tea. If's REALLY bad, the tea will be wild berry zinger, as it has a "treat" flavor to it for me, reminiscent of the pink sweet redneck wine I like so well.

If that doesn't work, clearly I have too much time on my hands and make myself do something productive, as I never want to snack while I'm being productive.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:03 pm

I have aglass of milk.
Last edited by Over43 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 pm

big glass of ice water with just a splash of orange juice or unsweetened cranberry juice... it's the only thing that tides me over lately.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

motorin

Post by motorin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 pm

I am new to this but I find that I really need to eat a big enough lunch. Often times, lunch is the biggest meal of my day. I err on the side of too much. Obviously it needs to fit on one plate, though.

If I don't do this, I'll usually get home from work ravenous and in a very grumpy mood. I'll be too hungry and this will cause some major irritability. I will then decide to make some less-than-healthy, quick and easy dinner because I am too impatient to take the time to make something more balanced. Or I'll get fast food on the way home. I also won't be as interested in playing with my kids because I'll be more or less consumed with getting dinner done. Know thyself.

As a side note, I do know that if you get too hungry between meals, milk is technically OK to have. I have not tried this strategy though.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:05 pm

I let my laziness fight for me against my desire to snack. I stay out of the kitchen and dining room, except when I am preparing a meal or cleaning up. I don't keep food anywhere other than the kitchen. I tend to stay upstairs, in the computer room. If I were to get a snack, I'd have to walk down to the kitchen to get it. That deters me from snacking.

I know that thirst sometimes feels like hunger. I'll have a Diet Coke or a glass of water.

Sometimes, when we have tomato juice in the fridge, I will have a Virgin Mary (a Bloody Mary without the vodka). I have it in a small glass, not the big glasses I use for water or soda.

amake616

Post by amake616 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:28 pm

On Tuesdays and Thursdays there's a six and a half hour hour gap between lunch and dinner so I generally have a cappuccino with a little milk and very little or no sugar or a coffee with a little half and half and two tsp. sugar. I like the earlier poster's suggestion of an ice water with a splash of orange juice though, that'd be preferable for me come warmer weather.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:52 pm

amake616 wrote:On Tuesdays and Thursdays there's a six and a half hour hour gap between lunch and dinner
I usually have a six hour (or greater) gap between lunch and dinner and don't consider it unusually long. I do often have a cup of coffee at around 4 PM, but that's just habit, not because I'm hungry. I just make sure I eat enough lunch.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:30 pm

If you're getting hungry more than an hour or two before dinner, consider having a larger lunch, or a more satisfying one (some people have stated various foods to have a more lasting hunger-defying effect, such as fats or protein. I think it's a personal thing). If the "afternoon munchies" are coming close to dinner, I go "Oh, I'm hungry. Yay, dinner's coming!" and might drink some tea.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Protein powder mixed with water. I know, it's not food. But it works. This usually happens maybe once or twice a week.

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:55 pm

I have observed in the last couple of weeks that sometimes I am hungry , really hungry at the end of the day before dinner. If I don't do anything about it sometimes it just goes away....shocking! I always thought hunger needed to be acted upon immediately. Turns out I really can wait to eat.

But if I am really hungry and it doesn't go away I have a glass of skim or 2% milk. I don't like to drink milk with meals and I need the calcium so it's a good choice for me.
Kerry

amake616

Post by amake616 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:51 am

wosnes wrote:
amake616 wrote:On Tuesdays and Thursdays there's a six and a half hour hour gap between lunch and dinner
I usually have a six hour (or greater) gap between lunch and dinner and don't consider it unusually long. I do often have a cup of coffee at around 4 PM, but that's just habit, not because I'm hungry. I just make sure I eat enough lunch.
Mine is usually closer to a five hour difference because I like a long gap between dinner and going to bed (personal preference), but having a coffee after 12 is something I only do a couple times a week anyway so it feels snack-ish to me which helps.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:Protein powder mixed with water. I know, it's not food. But it works. This usually happens maybe once or twice a week.
There are No-S'ers who avoid fake food, and there are No-S'ers who don't. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do any diet that required me to give up my Diet Cokes. I'm really glad No S doesn't require that.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:15 pm

This is a good point. No-S is strictly about when and how much and only SLIGHTLY about "what" (Sweets).

In general, yes, I prefer "real" food, but I don't freak out over a microgranularity. If I'm eating "real" food 95% of the time (and I do) I see no need in the world to sweat it. Back last month when I was on travel, I was doing No-S and eating Ramen and take-out. I wasn't cheating, even if they were convenience foods.

On the other hand, if you want do No-S with all prepackaged food? It's still No-S legal.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.