Corning Revere outlet, and the Nine Inch Mod

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicest of the Damned

Corning Revere outlet, and the Nine Inch Mod

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:31 pm

I was at the outlets in Hagerstown, Maryland, this weekend. One of our favorite outlets is Corning Revere. They sell Corelle plates, in addition to other kitchen stuff. I noticed that most of the Corelle patterns were available in 8.5" or 9" sizes. They also had larger plates.

If you were interested in trying my Nine Inch Mod (you eat off 9" plates on N days, your regular plates on S days), the Corning Revere outlets would be somewhere with a good selection of appropriate and not-too-expensive plates.

Nicest Husband isn't on No S with me, but he is on the Nine Inch Mod. Usually, when I get out a plate for me, I get him a 9" plate as well on N days. He says he's losing some weight and noticing that he's eating less than before.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Interesting. Were the plates marketed as salad/lunch plates or were they open stock on sets or where they really just 9" dinner plates?

I went to look at some new plates at a Big Box Mart. Goodness they were large. They were like restaurant sized plates. Humongous!

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:Interesting. Were the plates marketed as salad/lunch plates or were they open stock on sets or where they really just 9" dinner plates?
They were open stock. They had three sizes of plates in most of the patterns. They did also have a size larger than the 9" plates. But if you bought the 9" plates, there would of course be nothing stopping you from using them as dinner plates.
Blithe Morning wrote:I went to look at some new plates at a Big Box Mart. Goodness they were large. They were like restaurant sized plates. Humongous!
Ikea has 13 inch plates now. That's huge. (They do also have smaller plates)

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Good reminder! I used to teach a class about portions and portion control...I have a couple of plates that I used to demonstrate...they are called The Portion Plate, and they have cute little pictures on them and it is a smaller plate ~9 inches

I'm going to start using these for myself for awhile...I had to dig in the WAY back of the cabinet but I found them. I wouldn't recommend going out to buy them if you understand portions, but they are cute.

http://theportionplate.com/abouttheplate.html
Kerry

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16 am

I'm not fond of Corelle. I don't like the lack of "heft" of the dinnerware. Plus, it has a nasty habit of breaking for no reason. My neighbor has (had?) some and while she was eating, her plate broke. This happened twice.

I'm not fond of the new Corning Ware, either. I don't think it's nearly as durable as the older Corning Ware.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:41 am

Oh my, wosnes. This brings back a memory. I remember how Corelle was supposed to be shatterproof and it was for the most part. Until one day when I dropped it on the hard tile floor just right (or maybe just wrong) and it shattered into LOTS and LOTS of little tiny pieces. I thought I had done the impossible.

I'm still fond of Corelle because it reminds me of when my kids were young. A relative bought me Corelle once while we were in between houses (after the dropped dish house, and no, I didn't learn). She insisted on knowing what color my kitchen was going to be so I picked blue out of the air. So because I had blue accented dishes, I got blue vinyl flooring in the kitchen. I still have the vinyl but not the dishes. I can't really recall why I got rid of them. I suppose I thought new dishes would create the home I wanted. Or something.

I wonder how often we do that, buy something in hopes that it will make us have this amazing, awesome life. A lot, I imagine.

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:04 am

I'm not fond of Corelle. I don't like the lack of "heft" of the dinnerware. Plus, it has a nasty habit of breaking for no reason. My neighbor has (had?) some and while she was eating, her plate broke. This happened twice.
This is surprising to me! I've had my Corelle for 3 years now and I am super klutzy and have yet to manage to break one. I've dropped them on the tile floor, knocked them off the table, dropped one on the concrete when trying to stow it in my car, and not even a crack (let's hope I'm not jinxing myself now!)
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I'm still fond of Corelle because it reminds me of when my kids were young.
Nicest Husband and I grew up eating from Corelle plates, so they are nostalgic for us. Our everyday plates are Fiestaware, though.

I got 9" Fiestaware plates last fall, and they are nice. But they cost about twice as much per plate as the Corelle plates at the outlet.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Mmm... I'm in the "don't like Corelle" camp. Fiestaware is nice, and I like stoneware quite a lot. Basic china... depends on design.

But I need new plates. Not because I necessarily want to get a new size, but because attrition over the course of 20 years has reached critical mass. About a week ago, something dropped out of a cabinet onto a stack of my favorite salad plates and broke ALL of them. (That's what I get for not getting the stepladder for the really high shelf).

So, I'm looking around for something-I-like. And I may as well get plates that are a reasonable size while I'm at it.

It's not urgent, because we do have another set. But that one is also about 20 years old and has it's own attrition issues... Plus we tended to use the bowls from one set and the salad plates (now broken) from the other. I want something with BOTH nice bowls and smaller plates.