Grumpy

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

annabirk

Grumpy

Post by annabirk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:38 pm

I am a newbie to the no s way of life and last week was my my first week following the system. I am thrilled to report I lost 3 lbs! So, the system is working for me from a weight loss perspective. However, I was a total grump on all the N-days. I am wondering if this is temporary while getting used to the diet. I would rather be fat and happy than thin and no fun.

Did anyone else experience a grumpy phase when starting out? Did it get better? How long did it take?

Kevin

Re: Grumpy

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:13 pm

At some point in the next few weeks, the grumpies will give way to the feeling that you are sharp and focused when you are a little hungry. 20 minutes before a meal will always be a hungry time. But two hours after a meal, you'll feel razor sharp in a way that coffee just doesn't provide, capable, and full of energy. At least, that's how I feel.
annabirk wrote:I am a newbie to the no s way of life and last week was my my first week following the system. I am thrilled to report I lost 3 lbs! So, the system is working for me from a weight loss perspective. However, I was a total grump on all the N-days. I am wondering if this is temporary while getting used to the diet. I would rather be fat and happy than thin and no fun.

Did anyone else experience a grumpy phase when starting out? Did it get better? How long did it take?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 pm

You need to embrace your grumpiness :lol:

Hunger is not a bad thing, it is a signal that your body is actually using the food that it has been given earlier. To ever be hungry means that you are giving your body more food than it needs to operate. We all know that sensation of being too full - well, many feel that way all the time.

I know that I feel so much lighter, regardless of weight, when I eat clean. I can literally tell that my body is using the fuel it is given.

I can remember being young and always being very hungry at dinner time, we didn't have any snacks so we looked forward to meals. Now Sunday dinners and holidays were different, I always felt a bit stuffed.

You'll get there, it's a journey. Embrace your grumpiness :wink:
Berry

Becoming

Post by Becoming » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm 3 weeks in and the other day I realised that I like feeling hungry. I realised that I hadn't really felt hungry for a long time. I now associate hunger with self control, and I know it's not doing me any harm. Meals come around soon enough, and I am certainly enjoying better meals than I used to before No-S. I'm also proud of myself for not snacking or filling my body with sugar between meals, so that is enough to get me through until the next meal. I'm only a little bit ahead of you, annabirk, but I found that I am getting used to the new eating patterns fairly quickly. I've had 1 (significant) slip during the 3 weeks, but got myself back on track, largely with the help of the good people here. Stick with it! By the way, congratulations on the 3 pounds!

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Becoming wrote:I'm 3 weeks in and the other day I realised that I like feeling hungry.
Me, too! In fact, that sentiment has been expressed around here many times. As I've said before, you can think of it "being hungry", or you can think of it as "having an appetite" -- either way, it's a sensation of pleasantly looking forward to your next meal. You're not *starving*, you're just not eating so constantly that you never have a chance to feel hungry.

The fact that these pro-hunger sentiments probably sound very peculiar to anyone just joining us is, itself, a bit peculiar, historically speaking.

But to return to your original point, anna: the grumpiness will probably pass! (It's possible that snacking was keeping a secretly grumpy Real You in check all this time, but it's pretty unlikely. :) ) Welcome!

harpista

Post by harpista » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 pm

DaveMc wrote: (It's possible that snacking was keeping a secretly grumpy Real You in check all this time, but it's pretty unlikely. :) )
I am a lot more smart-mouthed when I am not "full-mouthed" all the time. I think I was literally sedating myself with food, esp. carb-y snack-y things.
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Yes, I am sharper when hungry.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:30 am

Kevin wrote:At some point in the next few weeks, the grumpies will give way to the feeling that you are sharp and focused when you are a little hungry. 20 minutes before a meal will always be a hungry time. But two hours after a meal, you'll feel razor sharp in a way that coffee just doesn't provide, capable, and full of energy.
I've been on No S since June, and this hasn't happened to me. I'm just grumpy before dinner time. Don't feel bad or defective if this doesn't happen to you- it doesn't, to everybody.

I just try to make the time before dinner more of an "alone time" than a "social time". I'm sure you have your times of day when you're more or less sociable and pleasant. If you're smart and have a flexible schedule, you plan around those times.

For example, if you're going to have a dinner party, you might want to plan to have some hors d'oeuvres available from the start of the party (and you would munch on a few before the guests arrive- I'm presuming you mostly would entertain on S days). Being grumpy when you're hungry isn't the end of the world, any more than being grumpy when you're tired is. It's a problem you can plan around and deal with.

You might want to think about whether you're eating enough at meals. 3 pounds in a week is a fair amount of weight to lose (for No S), and it might mean you're eating too little. There's a temptation to try to get all your meals to diet-book perfection right at the start of No S. You should resist this temptation. What happens if you try to perfect everything right at the start is that you spread your willpower too thin, and you end up accomplishing nothing. But if you work on your issues in sequence, instead of trying to do them all at once, it's much easier to make your new good habits stick. Don't try to eat less at meals right now, other than "no seconds". Pile up the food on your plate if you need to. You will get used to eating less, but it's not something that can be rushed.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:40 am

You know, I missed the 3 pound weight loss you reported. What NOTD says is true: that's a *lot* of weight to lose in one week. If you repeat that, or even two pounds next week, consider increasing the size of your meals.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

mbell

Post by mbell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Could also be a form of sugar deprivation if you're used to having lots of sweet things. Can take the form of cravings for some and grumpiness for others! If so, don't worry it will pass - I had terrible cravings in the first week. Now into my third week and they've all but gone:)
A moment on the lips means a breakage on the zips. Or maybe not.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:33 pm

I didn't wake up Grumpy this morning -----

I decided to let him sleep :roll:

An oldie but a goodie....
Berry

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 pm

I was so grumpy on Thursday nights that the kids stayed away from me! That lasted about 6 months. I think that the problem with Thursday nights was I still had an entire N Day to go.
Kathleen

annabirk

Post by annabirk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for all the support and advice. I am eating HUGE portions of food that wouldn't be considered "diet meals" by any sane person. However, I am exclusively breastfeeding my daughter and have a lot of weight to loose.

I sure hope I become razor sharp, like many of you report, instead of grumpy when I'm hungry:) but we shall see. If my weight loss doesn't slow this week, I am going to consider adding a fourth meal until my daughter starts eating solids.

Thanks again for all the great support and advice!