delete my account

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

want2bhealthy

delete my account

Post by want2bhealthy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:26 am

i have been on everything on here and i cant figure out how to delete my account. please help
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm not sure this has been asked before.

Your best bet would be to email Reinhard directly and make that request. I know he can delete accounts, because he's zapped the occasional spammer that's wandered in.

I am sorry that you feel the need to do this, and wish you well. (Okay, in honesty, I'm both curious and sad, but trying to be respectful and not pry.)

Best wishes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi want2bhealthy,

I'm sorry you want to do this, but I can delete your account easily.

The trickier part is what to do about your hundreds of posts.

By default, the posts stick around after I delete your account, I think with some kind of anonymous placeholder in the author field. If you're OK with this then there's no problem, but if you want them deleted too then it's a little tricker technically and even more tricky "socially."

Spammers I catch quick and it's easy to delete their handful of messages through the user interface. Also people tend not to respond to them so it doesn't disrupt the rest of the conversation. Though I can technically go into the database and blow out all your messages using sql, this is a tad dangerous so I prefer not to do it if at all possible. But the bigger issue to my mind is that it's disruptive of conversations you've been a part of (people who replied to you are now replying to no one, rendering their replies less comprehensible, perhaps even totally incomprehensible). Also if you've started any conversations that people have replied to I believe the entire conversations will be lost. Not to mention that you've posted some good stuff yourself which I'd hate to lose. What I could do I guess to partially alleviate the "disruption" issue is to delete your account and replace the text of all your posts with text like "the content of this post has been deleted at the request of the author." But then we still lose some context and all your good stuff.

I'll certainly respect your wishes whatever you decide (though it might take me a couple of days to blow out all the messages) -- just let me know. As I mentioned, merely deleting the account is easy and if that's all you want I can do that today.

Feel free to email me privately to work out the details at:

reinhard.engels@gmail.com

Reinhard