Michael Pollan is funny

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Michael Pollan is funny

Post by Over43 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:06 am

I'm up to page 60+ in In Defense of Food.

Michael Pollan is quite entertaining, and accurate. I just worked my way through the small section where he equates our not enjoying our food with our Puritan roots. (Has a bit to say about Dr. Kellog as well...which reminded me a bit of "The Road to Wellsville". One of Matthew Broderick's finest films.)

So far I think the book is quite well written, informative, and dare I say, entertaining.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:10 am

The Road to Wellville is actually based on Dr, Kellogg. You can't make that stuff up, thankfully.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 am

I just started rereading In Defense of Food and noticed the mention of Puritanism, too. I don't recall having noticed that previously. He's not the only one to connect our Puritan roots with the enjoyment of food. Anne Barone did in her book Chic & Sllm (2001). I originally posted this 3 years ago:

Blame it on the Puritans. If you wonder why the French, the most food-obsessed people on the planet, can eat all that cream, butter, and egg yolks and struggle far less with excess weight than Americans who dutifully take home shopping bags of sugarless and fat-free, the answer is: the Puritans. The French never had any; the Americans did. The French had Joan of Arc, Napoleon Bonaparte, Charles de Gaulle, and Brigitte Bardot.

But no Puritans.

Back in 1620 when the Puritans stepped of the Mayflower, they brought with them the intellectual baggage that if something feels good and makes us happy, it is bad. Discomfort and sacrifice are good. The more uncomfortable and unpleasurable something is, the Puritans thought, the better for you. Of course this Puritan philosophy grew out of strong religious conviction.

The French were also religious -- in their own fashion. When they wanted to give thanks to God, they built -- by hand, no less -- huge, architecturally magnificent Gothic cathedrals. The construction of Chartres, no doubt, burned more calories than all the Jane Fonda workout videos ever sold.

For Thanksgiving, the American Puritans fixed a big dinner and ate it. Our annual reenactment of this feast kicks off that part of the year when the average American gains six pounds.

The Puritan legacy was still strong three centuries later when I was growing up in the 1950s. In that small Bible Belt town, drinking alcohol was a sin, smoking was a sin, playing cards was sin, dancing was a sin, and going to the movies was a sin. Any effort to improve your appearance was viewed with suspicion. Once I arrived at a friend's house to find her grandmother in a rage. Pointing a damning finger, she demanded, "What do you think about a girl who would go against the will of God?" My friend, it turned out, had straightened her naturally curly hair.

In that Bible Belt milieu, sex outside marriage put you on the fast track to Hell. As for sex in marriage, you weren't supposed to enjoy it. The only sanctioned pleasurable activity was eating. I have witnessed church family night dinners that were food orgies that would have shocked the un-Puritanical French right out of their socks.

The French seek equal pleasure in a well-prepared meal as in a session of passionate lovemaking. Actually the French favor alternating one with the other. But everything in moderation. The French, after all, coined the phrase la douceur de vivre, the sweetness of living. Americans coined the phrase "No pain, no gain." The way this works, you go through the pain of dieting. Then you gain it all back.

THE NOUVEAUX PURITANS

In recent decades American Puritanism has undergone an evolution. Activities no longer prohibited for religious or moral reasons, are now on the no-no list as unhealthy. This has given the Puritan mentality an in-road to spoiling our previously okay pleasure in eating. The rules are simple: Anything that tastes good, like grilled steak, cheese enchiladas, fresh-brewed coffee, or Key lime pie, are poisons, guaranteed to kill us. Foods such as tofu, bean sprouts, and plain low-fat yogurt are cure-alls promised to put the medical profession out of business and make us all live to 110.

Most new products the food industry has put on the shelves recently carry some (mostly overhyped) health claim. And whatever the fad health food, they add it to everything. During the oat bran craze about the only products on the supermarket shelf without this gritty little addition was laundry detergent and disposable diapers.

These Nouveux Puritans have studies to back up their claims. But my faith in "studies" is weak. I remember one study that concluded that wearing lipstick caused cancer. However, to ingest as much lipstick as they had pumped into those poor little research mice, a human had to eat 90 tubes of lipstick per day!

Across the Atlantic the French hear the results of the American Nouveux Puritan food studies, pause a moment from eating their pate de fois gras, cut a bite of bifteck, sip their Beaujolais, and contemplate the cheese tray as they shrug and say, "Il sont fous, ces Americains." They're crazy, those Americans."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:10 pm

But there's a problem with this. The French did have Puritans, or at least Calvinists. They were called Huguenots. They didn't overthrow a king in France, the way they did in England, but they were there.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:28 pm

But the Huguenots didn't found a nation, based on their stern beliefs. I have Huguenot ancestors. Bet they still loved a good cheese!

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:36 pm

The Puritans disapproved of enjoying your food too much, in addition to anything else you might enjoy.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Nicest of the Damned wrote:But there's a problem with this. The French did have Puritans, or at least Calvinists. They were called Huguenots. They didn't overthrow a king in France, the way they did in England, but they were there.
I'm of Huguenot descent. (My family is also from Richmond, VA, where they *shudder* pronounce it hu-ga-NOT).

Who Me? I'm a Jordan, (originally spelled Jourdain). We came to England in the 1570s from France, and to Virginia in 1610. Samuel Jordan was on the first House of Burgesses in 1619, so yeah, I think that kinda counts as participating in founding the nation. We Virginians get TECHY about the Puritans and the Mayflower. Though I have a Native American friend who's a bit techy about ALL them white men :)
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:04 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
Nicest of the Damned wrote:But there's a problem with this. The French did have Puritans, or at least Calvinists. They were called Huguenots. They didn't overthrow a king in France, the way they did in England, but they were there.
I'm of Huguenot descent. (My family is also from Richmond, VA, where they *shudder* pronounce it hu-ga-NOT).
I'm from Maryland, and that's how I learned in school to pronounce it.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:09 pm

I have a series of books that I am usually rotating through at the same time. (Which takes me longer to get through books.) I finished part I of In Defense of Food. I came out with two important idas, 1) The American Paradox where we are obsessed with the foods we eat, and are still becoming less healthy, and building on that, 2) orthorexia- or the need to "at right", the two are obssessive, and as of yet, Pollan states, DSM-IV has not recognized orthorexia.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun May 01, 2011 3:12 pm

wosnes wrote:Blame it on the Puritans.
wosnes,

I love this.
I've often quoted it and intend to do so again soon.

Thanks for the reminder.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com