Withdrawal

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

Withdrawal

Post by gk » Tue May 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Why don't we crave the good stuff as much as the bad stuff?? Hmmm??

Two days without chocolate and I feel like someone going through rehab. Take veggies or fruit away for....oh..let's say...a MONTH, and I couldn't care less.

Ugh.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:43 pm

You don't see people getting the shakes when they miss a day or two of the Jack Lalane Juicer do you? :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue May 03, 2011 11:46 pm

LOL -- actually, I feel awful if I go a couple of days without many fruits or vegetables. I DO crave them if they go away! Everything seems too dry and stale and salty if there's no produce mixed in.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed May 04, 2011 12:55 am

I'm a veggie addict. Take away fresh produce, and I fall apart.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed May 04, 2011 2:44 am

I need to eat fresh veggies regularly. I can tell the difference if I go too many days w/o.

That said, I can't really call it a craving.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed May 04, 2011 12:05 pm

from wholehealthsource.blogspot.com

a report on how rats become obese when they're given chocolate Ensure, the "meal replacement drink" has this interesting tidbit:

...neither [obesity-prone] nor [obesity-resistant] rats will overeat on either vanilla- or strawberry-flavored Ensure.
The only meaningful difference between chocolate, vanilla and strawberry Ensure is the flavor, yet rats eating the chocolate variety overate, rapidly gained fat and became metabolically ill, while rats eating the other flavors didn't (1). Furthermore, the study suggested that the food's flavor determined, in part, what amount of fatness the rats' bodies "defended."

Interesting, isn't it? And I don't think these are just PMS female rats :)

gk

Post by gk » Wed May 04, 2011 12:28 pm

TexArk wrote:...neither [obesity-prone] nor [obesity-resistant] rats will overeat on either vanilla- or strawberry-flavored Ensure.
The only meaningful difference between chocolate, vanilla and strawberry Ensure is the flavor, yet rats eating the chocolate variety overate, rapidly gained fat and became metabolically ill, while rats eating the other flavors didn't (1). Furthermore, the study suggested that the food's flavor determined, in part, what amount of fatness the rats' bodies "defended."
Omigosh, that is funny and sad at the same time. Even rats can't resist the chocolate. I swear they put something in chocolate to get you hooked....it's like a drug wrapped in a pretty shiny wrapper....

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed May 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Now I'm not an expert or anything but I'm sure I read somewhere that it's an evolutionary thing. Fats, sugars and salt was rare in our early diet so finding something that combines 2 or more than these is an instant 'WOOHOO!' to our evolutionary brain. So we crave MORE! I don't think our brains have caught up with the fact that these combinations are available in every corner shop in the developed world :)

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm not so sure. When I was cought up in the Adkins craze i would have done just about anything for some grapes and watermelon.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed May 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Cause you KNOW that watermelon makes you fat, and bacon doesn't!

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed May 04, 2011 8:51 pm

LOL, exactly! Evil, evil watermelon.

We have become so freaking insane about food as a society. I think there is literally NOTHING that everyone agrees is OK to eat in moderation. All animal products = right out. Unless they are the main thing you should be eating, according to the contrarians. Grains = bad. Fat = bad. Soy = bad. Fruit = bad. Starchy vegetables = bad. And some of the paleo diet people claim that green vegetables are bad for you.

No wonder people end up eating energy bars! No identifiable food means no bad dangerous food!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu May 05, 2011 1:50 am

Thalia, you crack me up! (Anyway, aren't "energy bars" the same thing as "badly made brownies?")