What do you count as special days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

serenity88

What do you count as special days

Post by serenity88 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm

I am relatively new to No S and have been wondering all day about whether or not to count today as a Special Day. Once a year I attend a graduation dinner at my place of employment. It's not my graduation, nor a family members. It is a celebratory atmosphere. So I have been thinking about whether or not I would have dessert. I have also thought about counting tonight as an S event and having tomorrow be an N day.

How do you long timers handle these things? How special does a day have to be to call it special?
Thanks for your input

Clarica

Re: What do you count as special days

Post by Clarica » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 pm

serenity88 wrote:How do you long timers handle these things? How special does a day have to be to call it special?
Thanks for your input
Don't worry about knowing if a day is special or not right away. If I know in my heart it's a celebration, it's a celebration. Sometimes my heart shifts a little towards my stomach, I'm sure, but early on just getting the habit to be automatic on n-days is what the work is.

For me, parties at work aren't usually something I would be celebrating. But once or twice a year they are.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Someone here had a whole set of rules to help determine if an event was "special." As I recall, they're good, but too complicated for me. Here's my basic rule: if I make plans for an event, it's special. Also, special events don't occur frequently. If this happened weekly or monthly I'd question its "specialness." But once a year? It's special.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:50 am

Right now I count everyday as a special day! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:24 pm

A general rule-of-thumb is just "containing" the number of Special Events you have each month. Most people stick to 2 or less Non-Weekend S-days (NWS) per month.

In your place, I would probably consider this "special" UNLESS I had a host of "more special" events this particular month.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:50 pm

I'm pretty stingy with NWS days. Apart from the obvious (Christmas, Thanksgiving, my birthday), I ask myself "Can I enjoy this event as an N day?" Usually, the answer is "Yes." I can celebrate someone else's birthday without consuming cake. I can have dinner out and keep it to one plate without dessert. I had 9 non-weekend S days in my first year of No S. But some events really ARE food-centered, and if I decide I need an S day, I enjoy it without guilt. If I take an S day on a Friday, I think "Woo hoo! 3 S days in a row!" I don't trade one of my weekend S days.

The most important thing is finding a way that makes sense to you and fits in with your lifestyle and your goals. Good luck!

serenity88

Post by serenity88 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks to those who responded. In the end, when dessert came, I didn't want it and thought I could choose something better on an S day. That is a rare event!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:25 pm

That's great! You made a clear choice in favour of something more delicious.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:02 pm

I had developed a metric for determining an S day, that I reposted below from a post from 2008. I don't use it all the time as most NWS days are fairly self evident but to help keep me honest when considering opportunities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My metric for special days:

A) How often does this event happen?
(1)Regularly (2)Yearly (3)Once every two years or more.

B) Who is involved?
(1) People I know casually (2)People I consider close friends (3)Near family

C)How meaningful is this event to me personally?
(1)Not very (2)Some (3)Quite a bit

In order for me to call it a Special Day day, it has to score a 7.
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Luckily I don't have too many events in my life that could possibly qualify as S-Events, so I don't have trouble identifying them.

Annual holiday party at work? S-Event

Choir member's/co-worker's birthday? No

Annual celebration dinner at church? S-Event

Friend's wedding shower? Could have been S-Event, but I didn't want the cake, had one plate of food, and kept it as an N-Day.

Day my boss brings in a birthday treat for me (not on my actual birthday) - S-Event

I went back in April and turned one failure into an S-Event because it was the day after my birthday (which had been a regular S-Day) and I had only one other S-Event for the month.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:59 pm

You've already had a lot of input but I wanted to add that it might be important to consider the event in relation to the myriad opportunities in our culture we have to overdo food, esp. sweets. If we want to be moderate, and would also like to reach and maintain a weight that was average 40 years ago before all the influences that have driven the average weights up, I think it is better to err on the side of caution. In contrast (I'm a Libra, so I often sound wishy-washy as I consider both sides), it might be good for someone to go ahead and allow more NWS days in the beginning and either wean herself off them or have them gradually drop away. So, both of these might go into determining an S day. I also think the more a person was a binger on sugar before No S, the better it is for that person to limit the exposure to S days. I believe sugar-freak is healed largely by having a big backdrop of N days so that the other experiences are more obvious in contrast.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)