Have you established new Habits?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Have you established new Habits?

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Have you been successful at establishing No S Habits?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noBxw8CpMCk

Which ones have you been successful with,
and which ones still need a lot of work to establish?
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

SunCat

Post by SunCat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Good question. I haven't been to work in nearly six weeks. Yet just days ago I happened to be on the same road I usually take to work, and it was only after I'd passed the place I meant to go, realized I'd automatically been driving to work.

That's a strong habit. I don't know that any of my NoS habits are totally ingrained yet. Maybe in three years when I've been NoSing as long as I've had that job.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:36 pm

The three meals a day on weekdays is pretty much a habit now. Taking S days is, too, though they don't usually represent the "sometimes" element. I just don't see a reason to go back to snacking on solid food in between my meals most days of the week. I rarely have to go more than 5, maybe 6 hours between meals, so it works. I have my own general "rules" for the makeup of my meals, too, but those are personal mods, I guess. I'm happy with my choices there as well. I don't think of them as mods, though, because they fit in the structure as is, and they are just generally how I choose to eat. I give myself the option often to have junkier food, but I don't often choose it.
Last edited by oolala53 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:14 pm

I have established the habbit of not eating after breakfast or lunch. It is still a regualar stuggle of after dinner eating.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Personally, I've never yet
been able to establish a no-snacking Habit.
BUT...I see the value of it, and I really wish I could.

My personal difficuly is that...partially due to my past WLS (18 years ago)
...A "normal size" one-plate meal...even a lower-calorie meal
with lots of vegetables can sometimes cause massive indigestion for me.
My body will not tolerate high volume foods or large dense meals.

Another problem for me is that I am in my 60s,
and three meals a day was never part of my lifestyle history.
Even when I was a child, random snacking was the norm for me,
and for my family and friends,
so a lifetime of snacking activity has deeply ingrained that Habit.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:33 pm

As long as I don't get impatient or allow diet head to creep in, yes I definitely would say I have ingrained some sustainable and lasting good habits since starting No S. 3 meals a day on N Days with no snacking inbetween. Still working on S Days. This past couple of weeks, I haven't been having a free for all and eating everything in sight on my S Days which is good news. I am thinking - fingers crossed - this may be a natural progression after being on No S for a period of time. As mentioned above, however, I still have this niggling feeling every so often of wanting to throw in the towel in search of another diet that will have me dropping actual weight instead of bouncing around at 170 - 175 lbs! But we all know how foolhardy that kind of thinking can be and TBPH, it hasn't got me anywhere.
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:03 pm

After almost 7 months, the basic habits are set, but special occasions throw me off. Summer has been full of special occasions.

Like ladyJ, I believe it will be years before it is 2nd nature.

Good luck all!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:42 pm

To be honest, No S is still not a habit for me, around 6 months in.. I think a lot of this has to do with my having a somewhat erratic schedule, though. When I have a "normal" day - work, lunch, more work, dinner at home - it's fine. It's just when something throws that off - going out for drinks after work delaying dinner, having dinner at a friend's house when he/she has already made dessert, etc. But I'm working on it.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:23 pm

No S is a habit for me at this point -- it should be, I've been doing it for years! But I'm still struggling to establish exercise and packing a lunch as habits. NOT eating a snack requires less planning and attention for me than thinking ahead to have suitable lunch food on hand, and getting it packed before I need to leave in the morning!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Mmm, I started on June 10 and it seems like a habit for me...still trying to tame my S days a bit. Mostly I noticed that I feel sane for once in my dieting life. With everyone's help on here I know a red day is not me being a failure, it is just a failed day.

Snacking causes me to binge, so not snacking definitely makes a difference for me...eating later and drinking more between meals helps to.

I'm not seeing any significant weight loss, but I'm not gaining and I'm sane..

Dealing with diet mentality at times can cause problems, but that is where reading these posts help.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 pm

The biggest habit I have gained is not snacking at work. There are always biscuits, cakes, chocolate, something going around during the day - and I would almost always have some. Now it's definitely an ingrained habit just to say no or walk past any treats in work - I haven't had a single one since I started NoS.

Not snacking or eating sweets at home, now that's something I'm still working on :)