Decide for yourself

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

planner lady

Decide for yourself

Post by planner lady » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Has anyone seen this article from early 2010? It's great. I love that it advocates "thinking for yourself".

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/02/08/3-me ... t-so-fast/

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Excellent article. His point - that no one strategy works for everyone - is certainly borne out here. We have people who eat four, three and two meals a day.

Me? I'm good with three. I get hungry shortly after waking up and am rarely hungry at night so eating at 7AM, 12:30PM and 6:30PM are just right for me. Since I usually go to bed around 10, I guess I kinda fall into that "eat your last meal 3 hours before bedtime" recommendation. But I'm not pushing my bedtime back to 9 on the nights when we eat at 6.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Interesting article, it would have been nice for the author to link to NO S at the part where they were agreeing that this might be a healthy option.

For me, snacking leads to more snacking to more snacking. :wink:
Berry

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:42 pm

I am like Strawberry Roan...snacking leads to more snacking. I have found a lifetime plan with Vanilla no S. After almost 7 months, it is now second nature. I still have my slips and I still have occasional reds; however, I am not even that tempted to stray most of the time. I also enjoy my food more; yet, I avoid overeating because I hate that stuffed feeling that I get more quickly now.

That said, I also agree that no one plan is for everyone. I am quick to share with anyone who asks how I have lost weight. However, I do not know anyone who has tried No S yet in spite of seeing my successes. My husband is a runner and is not in the least overweight, but he would never survive this diet. He loves his sweets too much.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:08 am

I totally agree that what works for some won't work for others. I think we're bombarded with so many messages we forget to listen to ourselves. I know that if I'm busy I don't eat. It's free time that is my enemy (and loading up on seconds :oops: ). If I'm hungry and don't eat the feeling pretty much goes away in 15 minutes or so. Other people's bodies will operate differently. It makes me wonder if our society didn't start gaining weight when we started listening to 'expert' advice.
Lisa, mom to 7

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Joyofsix wrote:It makes me wonder if our society didn't start gaining weight when we started listening to 'expert' advice.
That's part of Michael Pollen's take on it. (If you haven't read "In Defense of Food," I highly recommend it!) He believes that the culture of eating is as important as our foodstuffs, and we lost that with the rise of "nutritionism." That's when we started believing all the experts and stopped listening to "mom." (Except so many moms have now grown up without a strong food culture that we have to go back to grandmother or even great-grandmother.)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm reading The 100-Year Diet right now, a cultural history of American dieting behavior -- and she argues that fad diets came well BEFORE we got fat, and are correlated with us GETTING fat.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:01 pm

KCCC wrote:
Joyofsix wrote:It makes me wonder if our society didn't start gaining weight when we started listening to 'expert' advice.
That's part of Michael Pollen's take on it. (If you haven't read "In Defense of Food," I highly recommend it!) He believes that the culture of eating is as important as our foodstuffs, and we lost that with the rise of "nutritionism." That's when we started believing all the experts and stopped listening to "mom." (Except so many moms have now grown up without a strong food culture that we have to go back to grandmother or even great-grandmother.)
Expert advice and the food industry. They've created products we don't need and then encouraged us to eat all day long.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:47 am

wosnes wrote:Expert advice and the food industry.
They've created products we don't need
and then encouraged us to eat all day long.
wosnes,
your words are very true.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

planner lady

Post by planner lady » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Oh, my gosh - that is it in a nutshell -

"Expert advice and the food industry. They've created products we don't need and then encouraged us to eat all day long."

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:56 am

Great article, for those of here on No S, we come to realize what works for us..for me, it is 3 squares, snacking just promotes binges for me. Thanks for sharing.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8