Breakfast Suggestions

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

keriamon

Breakfast Suggestions

Post by keriamon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm looking for something I can prepare and eat quickly as an alternative to cereal (which is overly sugary).

I don't want to cook, because I never have time (and no, I don't want to cook it the evening before and just put it in the fridge; I'm never that motivated), so it needs to be microwavable or eaten straight out of the pantry or fridge.

The problem with a lot of pre-packaged frozen breakfasts is that they include sausage and/or, and I can't eat pork.

I already eat yogurt some, and it's something I burn out on quickly, so I need another option. I'll do oatmeal and cream of wheat, but that never seems filling; suggestions to doctor them into something better?

I love fruit, but it hates me. I can do dried fruit and fruit only jams/jellies (or does that count as a sugar?), but no raw fruit or fruit juice or apple anything.

I am not hung up on only eating "breakfast foods" for breakfast; I can eat pretty much anything for breakfast.

Breakfast has always been a meal that stymies me. I've never been much of a breakfast person, don't like/can't eat many traditional breakfast staples, so I just end up eating cereal, with the occasional foray into yogurt, oatmeal and cream of wheat. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
Current size: 18 U.S.
Goal size: 14 U.S.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

How about cottage cheese? I usually eat it with peaches or pineapple (from a can) - can you eat canned fruit?
Eileen

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:35 pm

I go on "rounds" of things I like and then tire of them. Currently, I'm liking Greek yogurt and fruit.

When I did oatmeal, I used old-fashioned and soaked it in milk overnight (in the fridge, of course). You can eat it as-is in the morning, or heat it. The milk helped with satiety, and dried fruit or nuts would also help. Of course, you can also microwave your oatmeal in the morning. But definitely go with old-fashioned or steel-cut over instant, and avoid the flavored instants. The rougher the cut, the more "staying power" the oatmeal has.

I've also eaten sandwiches for breakfast. If you have good-quality bread (preferably home-made, but whatever), then a PBJ or toasted cheese sandwich is fabulous.

Bagels are another possibility, but beware - some of them are ginormous, and have limited nutritional value. The ones we get are multi-grain, but a half a bagel is a "serving." I like them with cheese or PB instead of cream cheese or butter. (Essentially, I need a little protein at breakfast, so that's what I'm going for.)

Other ideas:
HB eggs - cook a bunch in advance, peel and eat with toast or crackers.
Beans on toast - just heat canned beans in the microwave, serve over toast
Microwave quesadilla - grated cheese on flour tortilla, heat and fold over
Dinner leftovers (those are usually my lunch, but I've been known to eat a slice of cold pizza for breakfast...)

Good luck!

Marcie

Post by Marcie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:01 pm

How important is it to you to eat traditional "breakfast foods" for breakfast? If you're willing to break from that, your options open up tremendously.

As far as breakfast foods:
I likewise get bored with greek yogurt, although I really like it. I find that using it with other stuff--mixing in fruit and cereal or putting a dollop of yogurt on top of oatmeal--makes it a lot more palatable.

Morningstar Farms makes AWESOME microwavable veggie sausage. You should be able to get non-pork sausage from any kosher butcher; some specialty shops also carry fish, chicken, and other less traditional non-pork sausage.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Some mornings I have peanut butter on two GG Bran Crispbreads. The crispbreads are almost pure fiber, so they are filling, and I like the crunch.

They are also good for getting the old system going, if you are in need of that. :wink:

loop

Post by loop » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:03 pm

I often eat oatmeal for breakfast, in a couple of different ways. If I'm going to cook it, I find it more filling if it's only cooked to the point of being chewy, rather than homogenous/creamy (takes 3-4 minutes in the microwave). I always use old fashioned or steel cut oats which, as KCCC says, have more staying power. Adding peanut butter can also make it more filling.

In the summer I like to make a basic muesli. The night before I put half a cup of oatmeal in a bowl, add about a tablespoon of raisins, a tablespoon of sunflower seeds or slivered almonds, and enough milk to generously cover (the oats and raisins will soak up the milk). The soaked raisins make it quite sweet tasting without needing to add sugar or honey. I find this keeps me full for a long time.

You can make several individual servings at once and put them in covered containers, just adding milk to one portion the night before. Or you can make a big container with everything mixed in (you just need to make sure to shake it before doling out your individual serving).

Muesli is also an convenient thing to keep at work for lunch, you don't need to soak overnight, I've found an hour to be plenty. Good for those days when you've forgotten to bring something or plans have fallen through (as long as you didn't already have it for breakfast!).

I also eat a lot of hard boiled eggs. Hard boiled eggs keep for several days in the fridge, so I often make enough for the whole work week. For a fast breakfast, I just peel and eat (eat in the car if necessary). If I have a bit more time, I sometimes make a sort of egg salad - mash up an egg or two with dijon mustard and sour cream (I don't like mayo). I usually just eat this by itself, but you could also put it on toast.

Toast and peanut butter (with jam or sliced banana is good too) and a glass of milk is another quick and filling breakfast.

In general, I try to make sure I'm getting some protein in at breakfast, which usually helps breakfast last until lunchtime. I usually have a glass of milk, either as is, or in a latte. Combined with cheese, nuts or eggs, that usually does the trick.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:31 pm

I rotate between oatmeal (cooked with nuts and raisins, cream and sugar added) and milk, peanut butter toast and milk (and maybe fruit), and dinner leftovers and milk (my favorite). I always try to get a cup of milk in me at breakfast.

But I don't always force myself to eat breakfast. maybe 5-10% of the time I just skip it. even the milk.

I do love a good omelet, or waffles or pancake and bacon, but I don't eat out often, and I'll rarely bother to cook them myself.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:11 pm

A good old fashioned peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk works. I also buy oatmeal that I just add water to from the hot water cooler and add some walnuts and milk.

Or when I have rice for dinner, I can add milk and some splenda, heated in the microwave or eat cold.

:)
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

lindalou

Post by lindalou » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:04 pm

take 1/2 cup of hot water in a small pan bring to a boil then shut it off and put in 1/4 cup of old fashioned oatmeal at this point I put rasin, peanut butter, banana or what you like in your oatmeal then go get ready for work It will be ready when you are ready to eat. Don't take it off the burner just shut off
I do this also every morning
the peanut butter give you the protein that you need fill you up
Start weight 156.5 lbs
No goal weight
Just eating 3 meals a day
No Snacks
No Second
No Sweet
Except on days that start with S

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Trader Joe's makes a high fiber cereal that doesn't have a lot of sugar. I sometimes mix it with Fiber One because it stays more crunchy, but some people don't like that Fiber One has artificial sweeteners. i don't either, but it's a fallback choice. I shop discount stores which sometimes have offbrands analagous to Trader Joe's.

I cook large batches of grains, including WHOLE oats. I can heat them quickly whenever I need them. I rarely sweeten any of them. I season them as I would for any other meal. I figure if the Japanese can do it, so can I.

I like cooked oatmeal with cottage cheese, yeast powder, Parmesan cheese (1T) and either walnuts or flaxseed meal. That seems to last me. I also replace the cottage cheese with protein powder. Plain oatmeal or even sweetened oatmeal wouldn't satisfy me, either.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 am

I have to sing the praises of toast. I could live off toast, quite happily for 3 meals a day, although I do try not to.
My usual breakfast is 2 slices of toast with jam or peanut butter, a yogurt and a banana. Pretty much the same thing every single day and I'm not bored yet.
When nothing goes right...go left.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:09 pm

One of my favorite breakfasts is "garbage disposal" of leftovers that are not quite sufficient to make another dinner.

Recipe is basicially as follows:

Heat frying pan
Put in some fat
Put in some (starchy) leftovers
Add egg and/or cheese and/or ham/bacon and/or peppers/onions and swish around

Adding some egg transforms anything into breakfast.

I guess this is technically cooking, but it takes about as much time as reheating in the microwave.

Reinhard

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:58 pm

I cut bananas lengthwise and add almond butter and raisins.. sometimes I add lettuce too, but I call that "lunch"! I sometimes add Cheerios or other cereals (dry) to the top of the almond butter too. the whole thing would be really good built onto a toasted English muffin half or a bagel half!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim