Snacking and Binging

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSnacker

Snacking and Binging

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:32 am

So what I'm beginning to understand totally is that if I snack I end up binging that day 98% of the time. I'm finding my weekdays have been binge free, but my weekends are another story. And I'm not saying I binge on all desserts, as long as it's food I'll eat it....

If I tell myself no snacks, then I start to feel like it is the end of the world or something, so I have not really put any restraints on my weekends. I do have to say that I'm starting to incorporate eating 3 squares which I'm pretty comfortable with now.

My question is, does anyone else have that problem, especially in the evening if you allow yourself a snack, you end up binging or blowing the rest of the night? Did you find yourself in a better place now?

I changed my screen name from Debrabuf to NoSnacker because it fits me during the week, and I'm hoping the new name rubs off on me. :)
Last edited by NoSnacker on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:00 pm

I find that particularly crisps (or potato chips) are my trigger for binging, it's like they flip a switch in my head. I only have them on S days but when I had some yesterday I even had to go and have a shower, just to distract myself and try to flip the switch back again and erase the 'want to eat more' feeling. It did work though. I never eat after my evening meal though, between lunch and dinner is my danger time.

It might sound dracstic to go and shower just to get out of that
'binge-head' thinking but it did really work for me. And I also find that having 3 squares on an S day does not only help, but feel right too.
When nothing goes right...go left.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm

I don't have issues with binge eating, so perhaps I'm not the person to be answering this. (Or maybe I am!)

I do not give myself permission to go insane on S days. I have normal meals at normal times, and perhaps I'll have a snack or a special dessert. I no longer keep snack food at home, which helps a lot.

I don't feel deprived. I do allow myself to have second helpings of my meals, if I'm hungry. But I don't go nuts, just because it's an S day. For me, that doesn't make sense.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:07 pm

I too had to change my S day to eat whatever you want but keep it to 3 meals days. If I snack, I binge. Now I plan to have exactly what I want on my (one) S day. Last weekend it was an enormous sweet muffin for breakfast, pancakes for lunch, and movie popcorn for dinner. Of all the "S"s, I think the biggest problematic S is the snacking S. At least for me.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:11 pm

I have some mods to keep my S day eating under control.

The Sitting mod. No eating in any position other than sitting.

The NEP mod, which can stand for No Eating from Packages or No Eating without a Plate. If I want to eat a snack on an S day, it has to go on a plate or in a bowl first, and I have to close up and put away the package before I can start eating.

The "no keeping food outside the kitchen, and no hanging out in the kitchen" rule. All food must be kept in the kitchen, and I don't hang out in the kitchen except when I'm preparing a meal or snack or cleaning up after one.

The 30 Minute Mod. When I've had a meal or snack, I can't have anything else for another 30 minutes. Also known as "you just ate, you don't need to be eating again". Seconds of the same thing I was eating on an S day are OK, and dessert is OK, but not any additional, different foods. I have a problem with adding on to meals and snacks, if allowed to do so, and it can easily turn into permasnacking. For example, I'll have a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Then I want a little more after that, so I'll add on a piece of bread. This mod is designed to prevent that behavior. This rule could also mean that you can't have seconds of snacks until 30 minutes have passed.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:56 pm

I replied to your other post on the "walking away" post before I saw this one! I am totally in your boat! I am a binger for sure....but only when I'm snacking. I almost never binge at mealtime.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Skykitty - like the shower idea and finding the 3 squares help! I might end up like a shriveled prune!

Who Me - I am going to really try to clear my head and not have any snacks around, unless I go out for it.

Marianna - I do find one of my S days is calmer than the other for sure and yes, S snacking causes issues for me tooo.

Nicest of the Damned - I do recall you sharing these great weekend concepts...Now I need to apply it..especially the 30 minutes.

Tobiasmom - loved the response on my other post!

THANKS EVERYONE!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8