Writing Down Your Treats?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mjohnson121

Writing Down Your Treats?

Post by mjohnson121 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:51 am

I officially started No-S again (after falling apart the last few days of vacation and then a horrible first week back) this monday and it's going great so far. one thing I did was make a short list of the "treats" I would choose from on my s-days and the reason i'm posting this is is:

1) has anyone else done this?

and 2) if you did, did you find that the "treats" lost some of their allure when you wrote them down??? Of course, we'll see once the s-day is here, but as of right now, after writing them down, I've found that some of them have lost (some of!) their allure (the ones that are more junk than a real, high-quality treat).

-mark

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:55 pm

I don't write them down, but I usually have a plan for what my treats will be on the weekend. For example: there is a choco-cherry-love blizzard with my name on it over at Dairy Queen. I only have to wait until Saturday to go get it.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:44 pm

Long live the DQ!!! :wink:

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:27 pm

I don't write down my treats, but usually by Tuesday night I'm starting to plan an S day treat. My fav is a Number 1 Grilled Poundcake Sundae at Ella's Deli, but I don't have that every week. Sometimes it's Carrot Cake from Monty's Blue Plate Diner, with a huge glass of milk. Sometimes I want to bake. Sometimes I just want to watch a DVD @ home and cram hot-air-popcorn in my mouth!

mjohnson121

Post by mjohnson121 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:20 pm

Interesting! Good to know that others start "planning" their treats. They all sound like worthy treats (as opposed to some of them on my list, which are more on the junk side -- maybe thats why writing them down helped me to not be so interested in them, as once I saw the "junk" ones written down I realized I'd rather skip it altogether for something of quality. It could also have something to do with being psychologically "controlled" by the diet (this would be for ANY diet) and the body just wanting what it's used to getting, and in your mind you just have this "idea" of desire for a specific food(s) and by actually writing down what you think you want, it loses some of it's power as it's no longer an abstract desire (in a frankenstein voice: "mmmm good tasting <insert junky food here>, must have now!") but now a concrete food that you can recognize for what it is (junk).

Of course, this is all way off the idea of just sticking to the rules of no-s, but I did find the idea and (one theory) behind it interesting and helpfull to me anyways.

In fact, it almost seems like a REVERSE food journal (personally, I ABSOLUTELY DETEST the idea of a food journal, so don't get me wrong here), errr, since I'm so against food journals maybe ANTI-food journal would be more like it. You write down not what you DID eat, but what you MIGHT/HOPE TO eat, and hopefully REMOVE items rather than ADD to them!

-mark

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:23 am

I start planning Monday morning... approaching the end of N day set number 2, I really enjoy those weekends.

This weekend I think both days 4 mini meals (this is my preference but the 3 meals during the week is better for my self control) that can be junky if I want, with unlimited fresh fruit as snacks.

I will probably get a bag of my favorite candy and split it through the 2 days. (Sour patch kids), which may end up being one of the mini meals each day.

I've got it all planned out and now I'm drooling again. I think the hardest trick is NOT planning it too much!
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"