another question - weight loss expectancy

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

dirkandwhit

another question - weight loss expectancy

Post by dirkandwhit » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:38 am

Hi - I have just one more question as I am ready to really be "up and running":
I know from the book that the expected rate of weight loss is slow with this diet, but it's a sensible and realistic plan which is why it works...my question is does that mean I really shouldn't have any expectations about how quickly I should lose? Most diets suggest that a safe rate is 1-2 pounds a week and more if you start out with quite a bit to lose, but I have about 25 pounds (a moderate amount, I guess), and have thought that by expecting a certain amount to fall off each week, I could guage if I am "doing" the diet correctly...is that right?
Is having expectations going to help me determine my success with this plan (een if I am having green days) or doom me to fail because it is a slower-working plan?

Thank you in advance for your insights!
A desire fulfilled is sweet to the soul Prov. 13:19a

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:12 am

I think the answer lies with you and how you normally lose on diets. I was always able to lose weight when I put my mind to it. The problem is that I never stuck with it for more than a few weeks or a few months at the most. I have lost 38.2 lbs in 8 months on No S. So that is just under 5 lbs. a month or just over a lb. a week. I would guess that I lost 2-3 lbs a week in the past when I put my mind to it. The problem is that I was never able to sustain it.

However, I have friends who work really hard at their weight and only lose small amounts. They might lose very little each month on this plan. Also, if you only have a little to lose, it will take longer.

That said, I have learned to make maintenance my goal each month as you will see by the quote in my signature. As long as I do not go backwards, I will make my goal...some day. My recommendation is to just try it..without any expectations other than improving your habits.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 am

You're doing the diet correctly if you avoid snacks, sweets and seconds Monday-Friday.

I think it's best to focus on that for the first 2-3 months at least and, then, take a look at your weight/measurements and see what's going on. If you're not losing, you might want to try one of the mods (see the mods thread) or adjusting your portion size. But you may well find that you don't need to.

dirkandwhit

thank you

Post by dirkandwhit » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 am

Thank you for the great responses!! I will focus on habit - that is what got me into this mess anyway- bad habits!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Yeah, I support the "focus on habit" idea. I've been doing NoS for over a year and am just now getting back down to where I was when I started, weight-wise. I am doing a floating S days mod, but otherwise am lately doing a LOT better at having a reasonable plate of food 3 times a day on N days.
Last edited by osoniye on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:11 pm

IF your habits change your wieght will ultimately change eventually. That being said, last night was one week on NO S for me and I lost 4.2 lbs. I always have lost weight fairly fast in the past, 1- 3.5 lbs per week. However what is important is that I stick with it even if I dont lose anymore this month. Because commen sense tells me if the habit is there I will eventually Lose.

I have read over some of this board and one person dont lose any one month and then drop 3 or 4 pounds or more the next month. If the pounds are gone forever, thats what matters.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:07 pm

I think a lot of this depends on your relationship with food.

If you load your plates to the sky or if you sabotage yourself by eating mountains of junk on the weekend, you're not going to see a lot of progress.

If, however, you can find a way to eat moderate meals, and enjoy some special foods on the weekends, you'll do great.

Likewise, it seems to depend on how much weight you have to lose. Reports from the forum seem to indicate that heavier people lose more quickly than people who are slimmer.

I wish to lose about 15 pounds, and it has been slow-going, probably (in my case) because my habits were good to begin with.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:37 pm

When I was doing no s before this pregnancy I would lose about a lb. a week and when I got within 10lbs of my goal weight it was about half that or a little less. I think it all depends on if you workout, plate size, and how much you need to lose.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:32 pm

my calculations show a trend of more than .5 pounds weight lost per week over the first 18 months, but not much more. And the constant fluxtuations you find if you track this regularly were almost maddening, for me.

I don't actually track habit, just notice each lapse consciously, and move on. If I ever hit a 'plateau' I plan to move to tracking habit.
Looking for intelligent daily defaults of all kinds.
http://claricaandthequestion.blogspot.com/

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:01 am

Just to chime in with another point of reference: I lost about 20 pounds in my first year (and I've been stable ever since, into year two). So that's less than half a pound a week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:56 am

You can't predict what your weight loss will be. There is no magic in it. No S can't make your body lose weight if you are still overeating. It's just a way to help target excess. And people can still pack it in. I'd say to try to give up the scale for a few months. Give up thinking in terms of trying to lose weight. But do give some effort to determining how much food you really need for satisfaction and pleasure. Aim for good health habits, not diet habits, though they may overlap.

Normally, I'd say the more you have to lose, the faster you will lose it in the beginning, but I've seen exceptions even to that.

Good luck giving up dieting and starting living.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:33 pm

oolala53 wrote:You can't predict what your weight loss will be. There is no magic in it. No S can't make your body lose weight if you are still overeating. It's just a way to help target excess. And people can still pack it in. I'd say to try to give up the scale for a few months. Give up thinking in terms of trying to lose weight. But do give some effort to determining how much food you really need for satisfaction and pleasure. Aim for good health habits, not diet habits, though they may overlap.

Normally, I'd say the more you have to lose, the faster you will lose it in the beginning, but I've seen exceptions even to that.

Good luck giving up dieting and starting living.
Good post Oolala! I will have to come back and reread this every now and then to remind myself of these things!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

dirkandwhit

Thank you!

Post by dirkandwhit » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:58 pm

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, especially those that can share their own experiences. I am so excited to drop the extra fat that I am willing to work on my habits and re-tuning into my body. More than that, I am excited to drop "fat thoughts": obssessing over every bite and then binging and feeling hopeless. I think about food and weight loss all the time - if I can just be freed of that and learn to eat normally, I will be posting a success on the testimonial board - - my "real" goal! I read the board all the time for encouragement, so cheers to all of you who help give that to me even if you don't know it!!