Have your taste buds changed?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

r.jean

Have your taste buds changed?

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:30 pm

I am in month 10 of doing No S, and I am becoming aware that I do not like a lot of foods that I liked before. I am becoming a picky eater.

This happened early on with sweets. I am lucky because I really do not crave sweets that much any more. And when I do eat sweets, it has to be good quality sweets.

However, now I find it happening with other foods as well. For example, my favorite pizza no longer seems as good.

I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this?
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:08 pm

I gave up cheap candy years ago, and stopped drinking colas years and years ago. It's amazing. If I try those things now, they taste really disgusting.

determined

Post by determined » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Absolutely! I haven't had a fast food burger or fries in several months & the thought of eating either of those makes me shiver. Also, I just don't want to waste any space on my three plates for anything in the junk-food category. I didn't anticipate this change, but I love it!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:57 pm

I used to be a junk food junkie. I can hardly believe how little junk food I eat these days. It used to be all day, every day. Now I might have a small cookie after dinner, but that's about it. Even on weekends.

gk

Post by gk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:18 am

Well, I haven't reached that point yet, but reading all of your posts gives me hope. Thanks for sharing!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:50 am

I've noticed - in particular this weekend - that I am not enjoying desserts as much as I used to. I have an incredibly sweet tooth and used to crave all things sweet. I still indulge in a huge, decadent dessert on S Days (haven't broken the habit). But I am finding that they fill me up a lot quicker and are really quite sickly. Hasn't stopped me from indulging though....yet!! :wink: :oops: :roll: :twisted:
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 pm

I was not too surprised to lose my taste for junk food and cheap sweets, but I was surprised to lose my taste for some other things...like my all time favorite pizza. I am not a big pizza eater, and I only ate the best.

There are a few other favorites that no longer taste as good like some pasta dishes and breaded tenderloins. It seems that I have less of a desire for carbs. I still love mashed and baked potatoes and homemade macaroni and cheese though!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:14 pm

It's mostly due to other changes I've made in my diet, but processed foods taste like chemicals to me. That eliminates a lot of junk from my diet. But I still jones for sweets and haven't cut down or cut out any food group.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:46 pm

I find fruit a lot sweeter-tasting than I used to, probably because of the lack of contrast with sugary-sweet other stuff during the week.

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 pm

DaveMc wrote:I find fruit a lot sweeter-tasting than I used to, probably because of the lack of contrast with sugary-sweet other stuff during the week.
Me, too, Dave. Sometimes I find I'd rather have a piece of fruit for dessert than a sweet. Unbelieveable!

SunCat

Post by SunCat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Absolutely! So many foods are just 'not worth it' - and sweet things are often too sweet.